Andrew Hill in London 3-6 May

Not sure if everyone over here is aware but Andrew Hill is playing the Pizza Express Jazz Club in London next month.

I'm a bit confused about the dates as I received a mailing from serious saying that Sam Rivers, Reggie Workman and Jason Moran were playing there on the 5th and 6th. It is Andrew Hill that is listed on their website though.

Not sure if everyone over here is aware but Andrew Hill is playing the Pizza Express Jazz Club in London next month.

I'm a bit confused about the dates as I received a mailing from serious saying that Sam Rivers, Reggie Workman and Jason Moran were playing there on the 5th and 6th. It is Andrew Hill that is listed on their website though.

Thanks for this! I will definitely be there. The last big BN name I saw was Sam Rivers in Bath. A lovely venue for a great performance with Sam playing the sax, the flute and the ..... piano. (not at once though!) :) I have just phoned Pizza Express to book my tickets, but they will go on sale the end of next week! The person I spoke to was aware of the confusion with Sam Rivers but she could not confirm who would be playing there on the 5th and the 6th. May 5th is my birthday! I know where I will be to celebrate....... :w

Edited by ASNL77

Thanks for this! I will definitely be there. The last big BN name I saw was Sam Rivers in Bath. A lovely venue for a great performance with Sam playing the sax, the flute and the ..... piano. (not at once though!) :) I have just phoned Pizza Express to book my tickets, but they will go on sale the end of next week! The person I spoke to was aware of the confusion with Sam Rivers but she could not confirm who would be playing there on the 5th and the 6th. May 5th is my birthday! I know where I will be to celebrate....... :w

I rang this morning too and got the same message. It does seem incredible that they would be double booked. It isn't very long to go either.

Where exactly is Pizza Express Jazz Club? I most likely will be in London on business the end April or the first week of May. I would like to go check out Andrew Hill if I’m there that week. Is there a web site for the club?

Here is a link to their website. It is on Dean Street in Soho so is very central. Let me know if you have any other questions (although I've not been to the jazz club itself in the past).

It's a nice place for sure. I've only been there the once, to see Roy Haynes, but it's a good space. Don't be put off by the pizza label - that's upstairs!

Damn - can't believe I missed Sonny Simmons.

p.s. how, at a month's notice, can you not be sure if you've booked Sam Rivers or Andrew Hill? Can we spark rumours of a one-off reunion? :excited:

Edit: I see Sidewinder, you beat me to it. It'd be great!

Edited by Red

Just spoken to Pizza Express and they say that they now have their provisional schedule and Andrew Hill isn't on it :( .

They will confirm and start taking bookings on Friday but it looks like Sam Rivers is playing on the 5th and the 6th :) .

It seems like they have made a complete hash of the whole thing. I just wonder whether there is anywhere else that would be free for Andrew Hill to play on those dates.

Just spoken to Pizza Express and they say that they now have their provisional schedule and Andrew Hill isn't on it :( .

They will confirm and start taking bookings on Friday but it looks like Sam Rivers is playing on the 5th and the 6th :) .

It seems like they have made a complete hash of the whole thing. I just wonder whether there is anywhere else that would be free for Andrew Hill to play on those dates.

Thanks for the info. I have just phoned too and the lady at the box office does not seem to know much. She did not completely rule out Andrew Hill on the 3rd or 4th but it seems very unlikely. Tickets for Sam Rivers will go on sale on Friday. Can't wait to see Sam again. :excited:

Edited by ASNL77

After Andrew Hill, it is now the Sam Rivers' performance that is cancelled. The Pizza Express website has now Trudy Kerr to play there on the 5th and 6th of May. What a disappointment! :blush:

I am very confused now. I phoned them up yesterday and they took my booking for Sam Rivers on the 5th! :huh:

According to the Blue Note Europe website, these are the current Andrew Hill tour dates. It looks like I might be able to make the Amsterdam date, since I will be in the Netherlands that Thurs. and Friday. I'll try to verify he is there.

Tour Dates

29/04/2006 TBC - Andrew Hill 5tet Belfast IRELAND

30/04/2006 Europa Jazz Festival - Andrew Hill 5tet Le Mans FRANCE

15/05/2006 TBC - Andrew Hill Quintet Vincenza ITALY

19/05/2006 Bimhuis - Andrew Hill 5tet Amsterdam HOLLAND

20/05/2006 Lantaren - Andrew Hill 5tet Rotterdam HOLLAND

25/05/2006 Nattjazz Festival - Andrew Hill 5tet Bergen NORWAY

After Andrew Hill, it is now the Sam Rivers' performance that is cancelled. The Pizza Express website has now Trudy Kerr to play there on the 5th and 6th of May. What a disappointment!

I've just received a phone call from Pizza Express Jazz Club confirming that the Sam Rivers dates have been cancelled. She said something about an accident so I hope that it isn' too serious.

Edited by djcavanagh

Fingers crossed on that, hope he's OK. What a shame that we will now be seeing neither Andrew nor Sam at the Pizza Express.

I know it's not the same, but Vijay Iyer will be at Pizza on the Plaza this upcoming Friday. I hope to make that show. I am a bit surprised that Hill would tour the Netherlands and France and not come to London. Maybe another date will be added.

Fingers crossed on that, hope he's OK. What a shame that we will now be seeing neither Andrew nor Sam at the Pizza Express.

I know it's not the same, but Vijay Iyer will be at Pizza on the Plaza this upcoming Friday. I hope to make that show. I am a bit surprised that Hill would tour the Netherlands and France and not come to London. Maybe another date will be added.

I'm pretty sure that I read in an interview with him that he was playing some dates in Europe in April but would also be touring in Europe later in the year.

I certainly hope so. I had the good fortune to see him in Paris a couple of weekends ago and I thought the quintet were fantastic. They played most (or all?) of the songs from the new album and it was great to hear them stretching the songs out. I hope that he can keep the group together if he is touring again.

I also managed to meet him before the concert. We went to a restaurant near the venue and as we were going in my wife asked me if I would recognise Andrew Hill. I said of course I would, turned around and there he was. I always worry when I meet people whose music I love (in case they turn out to be a bit disagreebale) but in this case I needn't have worried. It was a great start to a great night...