Dolphy / Mengelberg footage

Epithet

I saw a programme entitled Legends of Jazz listed for tonight on PBS with the info 'Footage from Eric Dolphy's 1964 tour with the Misha Mengelberg Trio'. 'Hell yeah,' I thought. I'd forgotten this article: TV Review | 'Legends of Jazz With Ramsey Lewis'. It turns out I'm watching the Terry / Hargrove / Botti installment.

I have no idea how they could have got the info so heartbreakingly wrong. Does such Dolphy footage even exist?

Oh yeah — Botti's chops aren't as weak as I would have guessed! Hargrove was in particularly good form, but Botti seemed to acquit himself fair enough ...

That's exactly it. Botti has real talent. Woody wouldn't have taken him as a student otherwise. Botti could have been the next Chet. Instead he decides to cash in on his good looks playing boring music for lovestruck females.

Botti could have been the next Chet. Instead he decides to cash in on his good looks playing boring music for lovestruck females.

Maybe he is today's Chet. Isn't that the image of Chet outside the jazz scene, a young good looking guy singing with a soft voice and playing mellow trumpet sounds?

This works very successfully for another Chet clone, german Till Brönner who regularly tops german "jazz" charts, alongside Diana Krall and the like.

B00004RC96.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpgB000207NHQ.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Edited by Claude

I need to put in a good word for Brönner's jazz chops - this guy is a great musician, really! I have not bought any of his discs, but I heard a concert of his on the radio which was terrific. Technically, he can do it all, but he's not at all a show off. He played with just guitarist Johan Leonhuvud (sp?) and Dieter Ilg on bass, and that concert was absolutely great! As I said, I have no clue what he does most of the time, but that concert alone convinced me of how good he was...

I need to put in a good word for Brönner's jazz chops - this guy is a great musician, really!

I agree. He's one of the best trumpeters in Germany. He plays great as the main soloist on Bob Brookmeyer's 2003 "Get well soon" album.

B0000CGV48.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

But his own records are smooth jazz.

How the hell did this thread get so ridiculously off-topic?

Anyway--off the top of my head: I believe that a film exists (a film, mind you) that interpolates a dramatization of 'Dolphy as an old man' (or something equally fantastical) with the very footage in question. It's foreign, but I hear it makes the rounds (look it up--there can't be too many Dolphy films in circulation). Someone else has to know more about this than I do.

The documentary is entitled "Last Date" — which has the dramatization that you mention — but it doesn't have motion picture footage of Dolphy with Mengelberg. Instead, it contains photographic stills from their performance together — the one that made its way onto the LP (and then CD) also (and originally) entitled "Last Date."

103032.jpg

The documentary does have some amazing footage of Dolphy in concert with Mingus, as well as some rare German television footage.

• 2 weeks later...

The documentary is entitled "Last Date" — which has the dramatization that you mention — but it doesn't have motion picture footage of Dolphy with Mengelberg. Instead, it contains photographic stills from their performance together — the one that made its way onto the LP (and then CD) also (and originally) entitled "Last Date."

103032.jpg

The documentary does have some amazing footage of Dolphy in concert with Mingus, as well as some rare German television footage.

:)

I just ordered this dvd with an Han Bennink's one.

Glad to read someone confirming it's worth the buy, thank you.