Stuff Smith, jazz violonist with Teddy Wilson, Ben Webster, Hampton...

birdanddizzy

Here are anothers of Anthony Barnett’s exhaustively researched, interestingly programmed releases of jazz violin...

www.abar.net

ABCD1-015 STUFF SMITH

That Naughty Waltz

COMPLETE 1937–1942 TENOR SAX SEPTETS FEATURING

1942 FATS WALLER ALUMNI AND 1937 TEDDY WILSON ORCHESTRA

b.cd015.stuff42.jpg

All the commercial releases and unreleased airchecks known to us of the period by Stuff Smith Septets with tenor sax

including his leadership of Fats Waller alumni Herman Autr(e)y, Ted McCord, Al Casey, Sammy Benskin, Al Hall, Slick Jones in 1942

while Waller was touring as a soloist; lays to rest the ubiquitous string-along-theory error that Smith led the band in 1943 after Waller had died

plus Helen Ward with a 1937 Teddy Wilson Septet Featuring Stuff Smith with Jonah Jones, Ben Webster, Lawrence Lucie, John Kirby, Cozy Cole

plus a bonus all-star jam session aircheck by Karl George, Stuff Smith, Lionel Hampton, Teddy Wilson, Vernon Alley

ABCD1-016 REX STEWART AND STUFF SMITH

Summertime

THE 1963 ST-ONGE LA DUETS AND NARRATION

b.cd016.rexstuff.jpg

Previously unreleased informal private session recorded by Roger St Onge in Los Angeles in which

Stuff Smith and Rex Stewart talk about their early days in jazz and play the most beautiful duets, solos and vocals

plus a solo performance of Clair de lune by Smith and bonus band sessions with Smith and Stewart

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

just listen to the latest "ab fable" cd: "let´s listen to lucidin" stuff smith feat. ella fitzgerald (with ben webster, jonah jones, walter foots thomas, edgar sampson, clyde hart,......) live!!!!! 1937!!!!!!

From the Biltmore Hotel Lucidin Eye Lotion Presents

post-1254-127387665079_thumb.jpg

ABCD1-024 STUFF SMITH AND HIS LUCIDIN ORCHESTRA FEATURING ELLA FITZGERALD

Lets Listen to Lucidin

Previously unreleased 1937 Lucidin Eye Lotion WMCA broadcasts by

Stuff Smiths fourteen-piece orchestra featuring Ella Fitzgerald arranged and co-directed by

Edgar Sampson and formed of members of the Chick Webb, Cab Calloway and Stuff Smith orchestras including

Jonah Jones, Sandy Williams, Garvin Bushell, Walter Thomas, Ben Webster, Clyde Hart, John Kirby, Cozy Cole

great production like always!!!

keep boppin´

marcel

Edited by bichos

Anthony Barnett recently sent out a letter to his customers that the bootlegging and copying of his releases may curtail his investment in future AB Fable CDs. He puts a lot of expense in acquiring, restoring and researching each of his CDs, so this would be a great disappointment for fans of jazz violin.

Anthony Barnett recently sent out a letter to his customers that the bootlegging and copying of his releases may curtail his investment in future AB Fable CDs. He puts a lot of expense in acquiring, restoring and researching each of his CDs, so this would be a great disappointment for fans of jazz violin.

Not something that the illegal downloaders, buyers of bootlegs seem to think about.

Not necessarily true...it's a personal principle of mine that if I "find" or "get" something, and really get something meaningful out of it other than a few minutes "diversion", then hell yeah, it's mandatory to buy a real, in-print copy.

But bootlegs, now let's see...a bootleg is something that by definition is not available commercially, so...how can you buy a legit copy of it? One doesn't exist?

Worth noting that a few labels (Blue Note, columbia) have had moderate success legitimately issuing previously bootlegged material by offering superio context and content. The Miles @ Birland thing is an excellent example.

Mr. Barnett's concerns are real, but the problem is not with the initial processes of "sharing", it's the post-experience behavior of those who benefit from it. You can either realize that this new "freedom" comes with an equally increased need for personal responsibility, or you can just go on and think that hey, this is cool, feed me, bitch.

In other words, you can't put the genie back in the bottle, but you can determine whether it's going to be useful or whether its going to be a scourge.

I'm afraid I'll be creeped out and not be able to listen to the music...I mean, ok, eye drops, cool. But eye lotion? I dunno... I got a thing about my eyes, especially now that they ain't worth a damn...

And I'm actually semi-serious about this.

• 10 months later...

Yeah, I've got the Ray Nance AB Fable CD, too.

Do you know about these obscure Ray Nance LPs?

Ray Nance Huffin' N' Puffin' MPS/BASF 5057

Ray Nance/Cat Anderson & the Ellington Alumni A Flower is a Lovesome Thing Parker 827

I've only seen them once and I snapped them up without hesitation.