Another Computer Question

Suddenly (and I do mean suddenly), my PC takes like 15+ minutes to load Windows upon booting, and is slower (and I do mea slower) than hell once it does. Plus, the firewall (ZA Pro) never loads - it keeps sending out "Stand by, ZAP is initializing", etc messages. On top of that, Outlook no longer connects w/my email server. It keeps asking me for my password and doesn't recognize it when I give it.

A few days ago, I noticed that IE was acting kinda weird sometimes, w/windows going from active to inactive (but still on display) for no apparent reason.

Norton, AdAware, & Spybot all come up empty as far as viruses, worms, etc.

Anybody have any ideas as to what might be goingon and/or how to do a diagnostic? The Dell 3-yr warranty expired last year, and talking to their tech support has gotten to be such a crapshoot taht if I'm going to pay, I'm calling Geek Squad or r somebody local for an on-site.

Besides the HD getting ready to blow, could this also be a case of a memory module going bad? Or maybe a bad moues/keyboard wire jacking with the system performance here? I'm just thinking out loud, really don't ahve a clue.

Now, if the HD is still functional but slower than hell, waht's the best way to get a backup done before it crashes (igf it' going to)? buy an external and transfer everything over, or just burn data onto CDrs? I've got all my origianl system/software install discs.

An finally, if th damn thing goes before I can get a backup done, how does data recovery work? Charlie ssays that it's best to have the DR software on the HD before it goes, but what good does it do to have software on a HD thatain't working no more? Makes no sense to me, but hey...

It's not like there's not another machine in the house. There is. I'm on it now, and I can check my email thru webmail (same password as Outlook rejects), and it works. But w/o my address book, I can't remember shit. Plus there's all the bookmarks that I don't have access to. I can'remember all that shit, that's why I bookmarked it in the first place!

Anyhoo...any ideas would be most welcome. As always, thanks in advance.

Sometimes configuration data get lost during a Windows crash, without the hard drive being physically damaged. You can check your hard drive with the chkdsk function:

http://www.updatexp.com/windows-xp-chkdsk.html

The parameter /f will try to fix the data errors.

To test the physical integrity of the hard drive, you can usually download a DOS test tool from the hard drive manufacturer homepage. To find out the brand and model of hard drive you have without opening the PC, go to the Windows device manager and look under "disk drives".

Edited by Claude

What can happen with Windows 2000 or XP, is that the user profile configuration data are damaged, and Windows automatically creates a new profile for the same user, but with some unrecoverable settings being reset to default. That can be the reason why there is no Outlook configuration (the server settings etc) and some programs that should start automatically stop doing it, or they have disappeared from the Program menu.

System restore should be able to fix that. But I don't have experience with it, as I use Windows 2000.

Hard disk fragmentation comes to mind (among other bad things): http://www.webappeal.com/directory/Tutorials/hdfrag.html

O.K., I've no idea what's actually wrong with your system but it sounds like a backup of your data + disk format + reinstallation of your OS is in order.

Now, if the HD is still functional but slower than hell, waht's the best way to get a backup done before it crashes (igf it' going to)? buy an external and transfer everything over, or just burn data onto CDrs? I've got all my origianl system/software install discs.

Depends on the amount/size of files. If your data is < 5-7GB and you have no real use for an extra drive in the future I'd not buy one but burn CD-Rs/DVD-Rs instead.

Regarding data backup in general: is data stored on the same partition as the OS? If this is the case, next time you install your OS, subdivide the HD in at least two partitions (primary partition for the OS/~10GB - depending on # of applications and their size and an extended partition that will contain logical drives for your data). Always keep OS and data separated. Makes re-installations, data backup and life in general much easier.

Edited by Mr. Gone

Some things I would do...

1) Back up any data that is important to you onto CD-R. I had recently been recommending DVD-R, but lately I've been having some fail. If you don't have an internal burner, external ones are dirt cheap. You could see if you could borrow one from a friend. If I were closer, I have access to several.

2) If surfing with Internet Explorer, delete all the temp files. Run IE, click Tools=>Internet Options=>Delete Files. MAKE SURE THE BOX THAT SAYS "Delete all offline content" IS CHECKED.

3) Run Disk Cleanup. Disk Cleanup is found in the the Start menu under Start=>All Programs=>Accessories=>System Tools. If you've never done this before, it will take FOREVER to go through "Compress old files". If you can, let this run overnight. See if you can get it to complete.

4) Defrag hardrive after getting rid of enough files to get it to run.

5) If you somehow managed to load some sort of "Internet Security" application, try shutting it off and see if anything speeds up. Many of the more intrusive security programs really bring your system to its knees. McAfee used to sell a program called "Nuts and Bolts" that was just atrocious. Norton's Internet Security program can clog your system a little too.

6) Consider a new hardrive.

and 7) Consider buying a new PC. :)

3gb should be enough to run defrag. I agree with Kevin, start getting shit off there (backup backup backup) until you have enough space to run defrag. I'm assuming your drive(s) are formatted FAT32 instead of NTFS?

If the hardrive is formatted in FAT32, I highly recommend converting it over to NTFS. You'll get about 20% more storage space for free i.e. the same hardrive holds more files because NTFS uses disc space better.

To convert to NTFS (if your drive is FAT32), click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK. Next type CONVERT C: /FS:NTFS

This will not work if you don't have enough room. As an added benefit, it will defrag your hardrive during the conversion process since it converts file by file.

Kevin

My file system is NTFS, and I run routine cleanup/maitainance (other than Defrag).

CHKDSK found & fixed some probles, but not this big'un. Nor did a system restore. But I did try to re-run my latest ZA Pro upgrade (yeah, I save'em for a while), not the most recent one, but the one before that, and it failed. Couldn't connect to the True Vector Service, it said. This kinda is in line with the failure of ZAP to initialize on bootup. It keeps trying, but it just don't get there. Finally you gotta click Cancel to get it to stop trying.

Now, if my ZAP is fundamentally f-ed up, would its failure to initialize somehow interfere with the comlpetion of the .ini routine(s?) and create a morass of performance problems, eith through memory conflicts or through not everything "settling in" like it should? i don't know what I'm talking about, really, jsut thinking out loud. But could it? I know, uninstall, reinstall and find out. I just wanna know how good r long of a shot that is before I go there.

No matter, I'm down for an external this weekend. Charlie recommends Iomega. Any strong dissent about that one?

Really appreciate y'all's help, btw. "Community" in a very real sense. Much props to the crew. :tup

...and 7) Consider buying a new PC. :)

:blush:

or better, yet ... :g

I've got two machines with XP and one 2000 Server in my home LAN running since 2002 - maybe two or three crashes, no viruses/worms. You know, it's possible to work with these machines without problems. Glad you're happy with your Mac, I'm happy that I can get my work done on my cheap and ugly i386s.

After you get it back and runnin',

I'd recommend that you buy the largest LaCie external

that you can't afford (well, just a little bit over ;) ).

I'd come over and help, but all of the talk on this subject

sounds like a strange foreign language to me.

Two things happened today that are curious.

First, I tried to uninstall ZA Pro, and it wouldn't let me. Said that the True Vector Service was in use. This after I had cancelled ZAP during the boot, where it keeps trying (unsuccessfully) to initiate.

Second, while printing out my Contacts list from Outlook (no telling how long it's going to be before this machine becomes functional again, if ever), I got a message saying that my Virtual Memory was low, and that Windows was reconfiguring the space allotted for same. I've got close to 3 GB free HD space, and I haven't changed my VM settings since Day One. So why the trouble with that all of a sudden?

Any chance that I got a memory issue going on? On the computer, that is... ;)

This is curious, but I have to admit, as long as I have access from home, trying to figure out what the problem is, with y'all's help, is not without a certain sense of adventure...