Jazz Violin

ninified

What Don "Sugarcane" Harris should one own??

Either leader-dates, or as a sideman??

I've got most of his work with Zappa (because I have most of the Zappa catalog), though I haven't specifically listened for Harris before, at least not that I can ever recall (I'll have to do that sometime).

(Not exactly jazz violin, I know, but close enough for this thread I hope.)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Either leader-dates, or as a sideman??

I've got most of his work with Zappa (because I have most of the Zappa catalog), though I haven't specifically listened for Harris before, at least not that I can ever recall (I'll have to do that sometime).

(Not exactly jazz violin, I know, but close enough for this thread I hope.)

Don and Dewey

just heard/loved 12 songs - jenny scheinman. are her other albums as good?

:cool:

I've seen her live in two different settings- one with a string quartet with Hank Roberts, Bill Frisell & Jason Hwang(sp), and with Todd Sickafoose's group- she was excellent in both.

well i just spun jenny scheinman's "the rabbi's lover" and i give it a big :tup !

• 1 month later...

I suggest John Mayall Back to the Roots which also has some blues players you might like.

You really only need one 45 - by Don & Dewey: Soul motion/Stretching out.

The original issue was on Rush. It was produced by Sonny Bono, which proves that even a bozo can produce great record, given enough rope. British issues have been on CameoParkway and Sue. There are probably other ways to get the 45.

Nothing I've heard of Harris has been anything other than a huge disappointment after hearing the 45.

MG

After having seen this group at a recent concert, I was extremely impressed and convinced that performing jazz material is not just a gimmick as each classically trained member is not only technically accomplished but a legitimate jazz improviser. I'm referring to the Turtle Island String Quartet, otherwise now known as the Turtle Island Quartet ("String" description for some reason has been dropped). Anyway, I highly recommend DANZON (Koch International) wherein Paquito D'Rivera appears on three tracks playing marvelously on clarinet, and A LOVE SUPREME: THE LEGACY OF JOHN COLTRANE (Telarc) which naturally features quite a few Trane compositions as well as pieces he was associated with.

Edited by MartyJazz

• 3 weeks later...

I love the Farr brothers. They show an obvious awareness of earlier work by Lang & Venuti on some of their recordings. I have the following by them:

The Farr Brothers. Texas Crapshooter. JEMF-107. (LP)

The Farr Brothers. South In My Soul. Cattle Records Mono LP-1 (LP)

Hugh & Karl Farr. Texas Stomp. Country Routes RFD CD 11 (CD)

The Farr Brothers, Hugh and Karl, Texas Stomp, 1933-1944

(these are recordings on the side from their main gig with the Sons of the Pioneers).

http://westernswing78.blogspot.com/2008/08...dard-radio.html

These guys are terrific!

Yes they are - glad you brought up their names. I have an LP on the JEMF label - wonderful stuff!

Another recommendation. The following is a fascinating collection of material drawn from the black string band tradition and blues:

http://www.oldhatrecords.com/cd1002.html

In case this hasn't been mentioned here (at least in this thread), the following site has a wealth of information on jazz violin:

http://www.abar.net/

Remo Biondi played violin and guitar in the early '50s with Jimmy Coe. The band's version of "Lady be good" (Delmark443) has the only violin solo I've ever heard that comes close to a honking tenor sax in the hands of a Willis Jackson.

MG

MG - Do you know what the story is with Delmark 443 - Jimmy Coe: After Hours Joint? I've looked for it - love the 2 Coe tracks on Honkers & Bar Walkers Vol. 1 - but have never come across it. Did it go in and out of print very quickly?

I don't know. I got my copy in '97, but it was only available on K7 at the time. I've subsequently seen that a CD version was available, but didn't get around to getting it. I seem to remember there were extra tracks). I downloaded the Delmark catalogue in 2003 and it wasn't listed.

Delmark also distributed Jimmy Coe's recent (1994) big band album, "Say what?" which has a couple of live cuts from 1987 featuring Melvin Rhyne. I think that may still be available, 'cos I got mine in 2004. It isn't bad; mostly Indianapolis musicians; Coe playing alto except on the live trax. I think you can get the album off Coe's website (sorry, don't have the address any more). He's still playing (well, he was in 2004); a great survivor.

MG

PS - trivia point: Jimmy Mumford, drummer with Funk Inc, was Coe's drummer until he died, I assume, shortly before "Say What?" was recorded. Funk Inc was an Indianapolis band.

Guitarist Steve Weakley was in this band as well...still plays frequently around Indy and still resides here. Jimmy Coe was a good guy and great player.....saw him dozens of times before he passed away.

Mark~

• 4 years later...