New Reptet Release Features the Posthumous Work

New Reptet Release Features the Posthumous Work of Legendary Jazz Illustrator

Posted 2006-05-04

SEATTLE - On May 30th, Seattle-based Monktail Records will be releasing the second full length CD by the reptilian jazz sextet Reptet. The CD, entitled Do This! features the first jazz album cover by the late illustrator Jim Flora in over 45 years. Crafted on old style letterpress, the total package is a stunning amalgam of traditional and progressive jazz--both sight and sound.

James (Jim) Flora fashioned dozens of diabolic and hallucinatory album cover illustrations, many for Columbia and RCA Victor jazz artists, in the 1940s and '50s. Along with David Stone Martin, Flora (1914-1998) is now considered to be the artist that best captured the pulse of the classic jazz era. His album covers are now collector's items that regularly fetch hundreds of dollars on eBay, and his stylistic imprint has influenced an entire generation of illustrators.

Reptet is a sextet consisting of six multi-instrumentalists all of whom are members of the internationally acclaimed Monktail Creative Music Concern based out of Seattle, WA. They have established themselves as a group of considerable excitement, flair and vision while simultaneously debunking preconceived notions of what a jazz group ought to be. Their music has been aired on radio stations across the United States and Europe, and their members have toured internationally. The arts organization Earshot Jazz has described them as, “A hot progressive combo of Seattle's best young players. Their music is intense, taut, and fresh.” With the release of Do This!, Reptet has established themselves as an irrepressible force in modern jazz.

Do This! features the first “new” Flora image to grace an album cover since 1961. Two independent CD releases in the past five years have adapted old Flora LP cover designs, but the Reptet CD is the first to use something by Flora never before seen. Irwin Chusid, author of The Mischievous Art of Jim Flora (published by Fantagraphics), believes the cover image (which he affectionately named “Flora Triclops”) dates from 1952, but he can't confirm an exact year. It appeared on a postcard Flora had printed to solicit illustration assignments. The image will first see official book publication in The Curiously Sinister Art of Jim Flora slated for publication by Fantagraphics in February 2007.

Visit website

Source

Reptet CD Release with Amy Denio

Friday, June 16th 2006

Consolidated Works

500 Boren Ave N., Seattle

$8 / All Ages

Information: www.reptet.com

Monktail Records and Reptet are pleased to announce the release of Reptet’s newest full-length CD, entitled Do This!,available May 30th. Reptet will be performing original music from the CD and other new compositions at their release party being held at Consolidated Works, June 16 at 8pm. The evening will also feature the multi-talented composer and performer, Amy Denio.

Reptet is a sextet consisting of six multi-instrumentalists: Samantha Boshnack (trumpet), Ben O’Shea (trombone), Izaak Mills (tenor sax, alto sax, bass clarinet, flute), Tobi Stone (baritone sax, tenor sax, alto sax, clarinet), Ben Verdier (bass), John Ewing (drums); all of whom are members of the internationally acclaimed Monktail Creative Music Concern based out of Seattle. They have established themselves as a group of considerable excitement, flair and vision while simultaneously debunking preconceived notions of what a jazz group ought to be. Their music has been aired on radio stations across the United States and Europe, and their members have toured internationally. Earshot Jazz has described them as, “A hot progressive combo of Seattle's best young players. Their music is intense, taut, and fresh.” With the release of Do This!, Reptet has established itself as an irrepressible force in modern jazz with its own brand of creative music.

Amy Denio is a composer, vocalist and multi-instrumentalist (voice, accordion, saxophone, clarinet, bass, guitar) and veteran home taper based in Seattle, WA. She started her label Spoot Music in 1986, with the release of her first cassette release, No Bones. Since then, she's recorded & released several solo and collaborative albums with an array of international musicians. She has performed her music at festivals throughout the world, touring solo and with various groups and musicians such as Francisco Lopez, Danny Barnes, Tone Dogs, Billy Tipton Memorial Saxophone Quartet, Pale Nudes, Danubians, Chris Cutler, Guy Klucevsek, Pauline Oliveros, Relache Ensemble, Curlew, Matt Cameron, Hoppy Kamiyama, and others.

This event is open to all ages (alcohol available with ID), and the cover charge is $8.00. Doors open at 7pm, show starts at 8pm.

I'll be looking for that one, mainly for the cover. Been a Flora fan for years.

Hope the music will be of interest.

I'm worried about the drumming :P

I don't blame ya' ;)

We're sending out promo copies tomorrow morning. I'm eager to see how people respond to it. It is very different than our first release. Not just because Tobi and I are the only original members left, but because the instrumentation has changed so much. We are no longer a piano/sax quartet. We now are a four horn/bass/drums sextet...alto, tenor & bari saxes, Bb clarinet, bass clarinet, flute, alto flute, trombone, trumpet, slide trumpet, flugelhorn (and that's just the horns), we also have a shit load of percussion, a harpist (special guest), acoustic and electric bass, electronics, and vocals. I'm more proud of this recording than anything I've ever done. I'm hoping the Flora cover will help to enthuse writers and DJ's to give it a chance, because I feel fairly confident once people hear it they'll like it. We'll see.

Edited by Johnny E