Alex Sipiagin

JSngry

Yeah, he's Monday Michiru's husband, and yeah, he writes some freakin' great arrangements for her, and yeah, his playing on her sides sounds really focused and interesting, but what about his own stuff? His resume ain't too shabby http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&s...qhuh6j8871t0~T4

I see he's got more than a few sides on Criss-Cross, which is not nearly the "endorsement" for me that it is for some. I'm wondering if he's really a "distance" player, or if the format of Monday's stuff plays to his strengths. I really like what he contributes there, dense, busy-yet-ultimately-lyrical lines that aren't at all "commercial", yet enhance the the vibe of the songs by the fact that they aren't. If anything, they enhance it, bringing out the "advanced" nature underlying so much of hwr music. Yet I wonder if the surface "distance" in his playing is engaging over a more stretched out jazz session. I like "warmth" of some variety, no matter how far beneath the surface it lies. It lies none too close to the surface when he's playing with/for his wife, so I'm wondering if that's just how he always is.

I'm willing toi listen to the opinions of those who have heard him. So speak away.

I know I've seen him with the Mingus Big Band on more than one occasion, but he might have played one solo per night--and he didn't make a big impression on me (unlike when, for example, Jack Walrath or Eddie Henderson is in the MBB trumpet section).

Saw him with the Mingus Big Band several years ago, and he played a bunch of good sounding lead, as well as taking some solos. I liked his lines: not quite in; not quite out. But as you say, Jim, I'm unsure as to how Sipiagin's playing would hold up over an entire set, or a whole evening.

Saw him with the Mingus Big Band several years ago, and he played a bunch of good sounding lead, as well as taking some solos. I liked his lines: not quite in; not quite out. But as you say, Jim, I'm unsure as to how Sipiagin's playing would hold up over an entire set, or a whole evening.

Saw him with the Mingus Big Band. . . oh yeah, that's been mentioned before. Haven't been checking out his solo stuff. . .Criss Cross is not in my crosshairs usually. I've heard lead and section work on Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra broadcasts. . . .

I have him on Conrad Herwig's "Unseen Universe," with some of the same players who crop up on his own Criss Cross albums, so I assume his playing there is pretty representative. He's got chops and fingers but seems fairly faceless. In that general bag -- if it is the same bag -- I prefer, say, Scott Wendholt. Sipiagin sounds to me like a guy whose melodic lines, such as they are, are almost wholly determined by his favorite "hip" harmonic patterns. Herwig, by contrast, tends to push ahead on both fronts simultaneously and aggressively, though I could see where a reasonable person might find him a bit blatant or flashy at times.

I have a CD of his called "Steppin' Zone" on Criss Cross that I enjoy. Its nothing groundbreaking, but its a very hard swinging set of intense bop that at times has some really incredible playing by all involved. I didn't think much of his compositions, but he's definitely a fine trumpet player. An above average Criss Cross session IMO.

I have a CD of his called "Steppin' Zone" on Criss Cross that I enjoy. Its nothing groundbreaking, but its a very hard swinging set of intense bop that at times has some really incredible playing by all involved. I didn't think much of his compositions, but he's definitely a fine trumpet player. An above average Criss Cross session IMO.

This is how I would describe all his Criss Cross CDs - except I really like his compositions. They take a little while to sink, but this is stuff you can really get into.

Edited by Eric

I didn't think much of his compositions...

Well now, that's another thing I was wondering about. His arrangements for Monday are totally beautiful, wholly modern, and not at all concerned with conventionality. I was wondering if he brought the same audacity to his writing for his own projects.

Sasha's quite a talent on the horn. the times i've seen him with Holland he didn't get much improv space because a evolving master was onboard ... Mr. Duane Eubanks. also, his relative obscurity for his age might be due to his well-deserved rep as one of the better lead men around, so maybe that's what rings the phone. in that regard, kind of reminds me of Lew Soloff in his younger years.

i like Sasha's improv style quite a bit. he did a euro tour late last year with Josh Roseman and i've heard some of that live stuff recorded at Zawinul's Birdland. very nice.

and I'm always happy to see more Russians and Eastern Europeans in jazz. they're such incredible people, so many coming from many generations of poverty and hardship.

every Russian i meet in my profession has a story. the latest here from Moscow University with a masters in computer science. him and his wife had to deliver pizzas for two years ( ! ) before he could find a green card sponsor at a legit firm.

I was unaware of his facility as a lead player. That's a serious skill, of which the "general public" is totally unaware.

And I hear you about the overall Russian/Eastern European vibe. There's definitely a soulfulness there, and its got a flavor of its own.

• 1 year later...

So I've heard. Doesn't she sing and/or do drum programming on a cut or two as well?

I'll be getting this one soon, just because.

As far as I can tell, she only plays flute on one cut (Prints) and it is only during the ensemble work. The notes make reference to overdubbing on two tracks (I am guessing one of which is the addition of her flute to Prints). No mention of drum programming and I didn't get a sense that was going on anywhere. Kikoski does play electirc piano on a couple tracks though.

I am not one who gets terribly excited when the new Criss Cross CDs come out, but he has had a nice run IMHO.

Sipiagin is fantastic. I have all but his most recent CDs, and I recommend every one of them. He's done gorgeous Russian traditional tunes (Novgorod Bells on Images) tricky jazz covers (Metheny's Missouri Uncompromised on Steppin Zone) and plenty of his own compositions. He always gets great sidemen for his records (Potter, Kikoski, Adam Rogers, etc.). And he can blow a great solo over the trickiest changes and time signatures.