Obscure album covers, by well-known artists

Rooster_Ties

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

e9_1.JPG

:huh: wait wait wait wait wait- what label is that? A Burt Goldblatt cover...? At first I thought it might have been a rare Bethleham 10 inch... but no. Not in any guides under Rosolino... but a little online research reveals that this material was also released on Savoy:

swing.jpg

Sept. '52, w/ Barry Harris, Billy Christ (?), Stan Levey.

Rubberneck

Mean to Me

Take Me Out To The Ball Game

Sweet and Lovely

Check this out, BTW: Rosolino collection

Okay, that's what I suspected, but I couldn't quite read the "Dee" on the image. Obviously, I never owned a Dee Gee LP. Never even came across any, that I recall. A quick Google refresher course reminds me that this was Dizzy's label (in partnership with Dave Usher? from Detroit?). My main question is, why doesn't this Rosolino LP show up in either of the jazz price guides that I use for reference purposes. It's an american label... this is a major artist... I don't get it. Also, what's the connection with Savoy (if any), where this material was reissued on that Swing Not Spring album?

The item shown is not an LP, it's a 45 RPM EP http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...4015849311&rd=1 . Think the same cuts came out again on Savoy's THE TROMBONE ALBUME 2-fer of the early 80s. Recorded in Detroit, if memory serves.

Savoy bought the DeeGee masters, I think, just like they did w/some other labels like Regent. Remember that Dizzy 2-fer in the 70s?

AH, yes... of course. Feel free to slap me the next time I space out like that. :g

Anybody check out that Rosolino link? A Japanese page I had never seen before... with at least a few covers that would qualify for this thread (he pointed out, lazily)...

... oh, what the hell. Just a few from that page...

frankly.jpg

conversation.jpg

jazzaconfronto.jpg

justfriends.jpg

denmark.jpg

Edited by Jim R