dewey redman unreleased BN session....

Guest donald petersen

Guest akanalog

for those who know where to look, i found today dewey redman's unreleased blue note session from 1969.

i don't know if it is the legit session but yeah, i found it torrented claiming to be this session and it does seem to even have which take was used listed.

i am being vague out of courtesy to our hosts here, but i know some of you here know where to look.

a don cherry unreleased savoy session from 1963 is also floating around as well as an unreleased tony williams session from 1974 w. alan holdsworth, but they get passed around a lot online i think.

sorry if i shouldn't post this but i know the redman session was discussed a while back which piqued my interest and i feel fortunate to have stumbled upon it.

haven't listened to it yet but i imagine the fidelity will not be so great. just because...

Hi akanalog,

Actually, the sound is pretty damn good! The first three songs are good ("Apple-itis", "Interconnection", and "P.S."), and Dewey's playing is fairly decent. The trumpet player (Chris Capers) goes off-mike a bit.

The last two songs (two takes of "Look For The Black Star") are very different in style than the first three... The sound changes on "Look For The Black Star" lead me to believe that these weren't recorded on the same day/session as the first three tracks. I don't have my BN discography handy to check whether this is the case...

Still, this is a pretty damn solid session, and is better than a lot of sessions Blue Note was recording at the end of 1969. It would've been nice to have this released at the time... but I can hear why it was shelved.

I'm also glad to have had the chance to hear it! Dewey was a monster back then, and he still is today!

Cheers,

Shane

Edited by Indestructible!

a don cherry unreleased savoy session from 1963 is also floating around...

If this is the one with Pharoah Sanders, it's not a Savoy session and it was probably recorded in January 1964. If it has Clifford Jordan and Sonny Simmons, it's a dub from a very rare, privately produced lp, also not Savoy.

Ed Rhodes

If this is the one with Pharoah Sanders, it's not a Savoy session and it was probably recorded in January 1964. If it has Clifford Jordan and Sonny Simmons, it's a dub from a very rare, privately produced lp, also not Savoy.

Ed Rhodes

Two different deals. I think I have both.

for those who know where to look, i found today dewey redman's unreleased blue note session from 1969.

i don't know if it is the legit session but yeah, i found it torrented claiming to be this session and it does seem to even have which take was used listed.

The following link may be of interest.

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/lofiversi...php/t16180.html

Ed Rhodes

Ed Rhodes

Is that the Zounds LP? I didn't think Pharoah was on it -- or at least Lasha never mentioned anything about him when talking about the session (late '63 in Fred Lyman's loft)... unless this is yet ANOTHER thing I have to spend my time tracking down... :crazy:

Ed Rhodes

Is that the Zounds LP? I didn't think Pharoah was on it -- or at least Lasha never mentioned anything about him when talking about the session (late '63 in Fred Lyman's loft)... unless this is yet ANOTHER thing I have to spend my time tracking down... :crazy:

My usual lack of clarity, for which I apologize.

I was referring to two distinct sessions, neither of which was produced by Savoy. The Cherry-Sanders date is from January 6, 1964 and features a rhythm section of Joe Sciani, David Izenson, and J.C. Moses. The other date, which is indeed the Zounds lp, is dated from May 1963 and features Sonny Simmons, Prince Lasha, and Clifford Jordan on reeds.

Everything else of which I am aware and which could be dated to '63 or '64 are known sideman dates with the likes of Rollins, Ayler, or the New York Contemporary 5, though the following link,

http://members.chello.se/kassman/doncherry.htm

also lists an octet date with Ornette and Steve Lacy (?) from 1962.

My point was that, unless there is something about which I am unaware, there is no Savoy date. My secondary point is that the Cherry-Sanders session has been dated to 1963 and this is probably an error, though that is what is scribbled on the tape box. The chronology of Cherry's activity with Rollins in '62-'63 makes 1/1/63 very unlikely. Also, FWIW, the session was recorded at Jerry Newman's studio. The above link says it was for Savoy but this is an error, too.

Ed Rhodes