Wayne Shorter/Lee Morgan Mosaic

This set doesn't seem to be discussed much, and the reviews on the Mosaic site aren't very positive. However, I'm a big fan of both musicians, and I am considering putting this one on my wish list. Does anyone own this set, or is anyone very familiar with the material on the set? Is it worth the $96? I already have most of the sixties BN material for both of these artists. Is this music essential? Thanks in advance for your help!

I like the Wayne Shorter VeeJay albums as much as his Blue Note recordings. Very good compositions and solos by Wayne, accompanied by a straightforward rhythm section. "Second genesis" and "Wayning moments" are essential in the Wayne Shorter discography.

I have not heard the Lee Morgan stuff.

The problem with the Mosaic set is that almost half of the tracks are alternate takes. As I was mainly interested in the Wayne Shorter recordings I bought the VeeJay albums reissued on seperate CDs (partly with alternates) from Blue Moon Spain (9 Euro per CD):.

http://www.freshsoundrecords.com/catalogue...bel&label_id=11

The legal status of those CDs is not clear, but the sound is very good. Maybe not as good as the Mosaic box and japanese reissues of the albums, but for the price it is excellent.

A few of the individual albums are also availailable on Collectables. I have bad experience with their reissues of Atlantic material (heavy use of nonoise processes, some are unlistenable), but I have not heard the VeeJay reissues.

http://www.oldies.com/artist/view.cfm/id/3496.html

http://www.oldies.com/artist/view.cfm/id/696.html

I think this is a great Mosaic set, the sound is better than the Fresh Sounds/Blue Moon cds (remixed by Malcolm Addey, so they don't sound exactly the same as the lps, but boy does the sound smoke on this compared to the other cds!) And there is a lot of great music here. I've had this material in several formats and this is the one I kept. For me it's a really pleasurable set.

I've had this set for slightly more than a year and I enjoy it quite a bit. Lately I've been going back to some of the Morgan dates to check out Clifford Jordan's playing. You also get Eddie Higgins on at least one session (perhaps more than one), who's an underrated pianist and who contributes the tune "Expoobident". Initially, I found the SECOND GENESIS quartet date (Shorter) to be my favorite, but all the sessions are of high quality. Definitely worth the $96. :tup

This is probably the most enjoyable "black box" Mosaic set that I've gotten in the last couple of years. If you're a fan of both Shorter and Morgan, then you shouldn't hesitate. I agree with Claude that the Shorter Vee Jay albums are just as nice as his Blue Notes. All of the Shorter and Morgan Vee Jay albums that are in this Mosaic set can be purchased as inividual re-issues now from the Koch label, by the way. Original cover photos and all the trimmings. Supposed to sound fine, too. So it depends how you want them. Either way, this is music that should be in every jazz fan's collection, IMHO.