New Ornette Album

ep1str0phy

Don't know if this has been discussed (lately), but I remember some discussion a while back... looks like the long-awaited Sound Grammar album is dropping soon: Tue, Sep 12, 2006. Hopefully, this is the well-recorded 'new' quartet (two-bass) album we've been yearning for all this time...

scroll down this page

The 2003 Carnegie Hall show from the JVC Jazz Festival is due out in 2006.

Don't know if this has been discussed (lately), but I remember some discussion a while back... looks like the long-awaited Sound Grammar album is dropping soon: Tue, Sep 12, 2006. Hopefully, this is the well-recorded 'new' quartet (two-bass) album we've been yearning for all this time...

scroll down this page

I've now heard through the grapevine that contrary to what was reported in the Downbeat article, the live release will not be from Carnegie Hall but from a German performance.

scroll down this page

I've now heard through the grapevine that contrary to what was reported in the Downbeat article, the live release will not be from Carnegie Hall but from a German performance.

anything would be good. a box would be real nice. :g

If the box set story is true, that's great. Ornette has released fewer records than he might, and as I've said before I think that has been a mistake. His choice - if he'd issued them, we would have bought them. This box helps. Let's hope Ornette can be satisfied on the $$$ front otherwise the whole project may be stalled. Discussion of this set started about five years ago and I thought had run into the ground - so I am not holding my breath. The Harkit release died the death and I can only guess that the reason was money (in contrast the Rollins releases from Harkit kept coming - so it CAN be done, apparently).

Edited by David Ayers

I've only been told through the small Austin jazz grapevine, but apparently Revenant and Ornette are closer to working out the nitty-gritty than they had been in the past, and that work has actually begun on compiling such a box. But yes, let's wait and see before our undies get in a bunch!

Fingers crossed! I'll certainly be an 'early adopter' on this one!

From the New York Times:

New Coleman CD

The jazz saxophonist and composer Ornette Coleman, will release "Sound Grammar," his first new album in more than a decade, on Sept. 12 on his own label, also called Sound Grammar. Recorded live in Germany late last year, it will have eight Coleman compositions, including two remakes. The album features his new band, with his son Denardo Coleman on drums, and Tony Falanga and Greg Cohen on acoustic basses. BEN SISARIO