Just bought the 2GB iPod Nano. Some questions.

Dmitry

* What's the best-sounding file format I can download into that thing and how? It looks like everything is happening automagically from the iTunes into the Nano..

* How do you make sure this thing doesn't scratch? It looks very vulnerable. Especially since I'll be taking it to the gym with me...

* I've read that you can buy a little gizmo that attaches to the Nano and dial into an fm radio frequency in your car and it'll pick up the signal from the iPod, so you don't have to hard-wire it. Anybody use anything like that?

I'm a new iPod 60GB owner. And I've been using iTunes for a year plus. . . I think iTunes is a GREAT music program.

The best sounding to my ears is the Apple Lossless format. But there's not a whole lot of difference if you're not using great headphones or great powered speakers, etc. Apple Lossless also takes up about ten times the file space of some of the other formats, so use the other Apple MP3 format. It's good enough sounding.

GET A CASE! I have an "InCase" case that has a strong belt clip and fits really tightly over the iPod and really makes it "safe." It is still easy to use the iPod in the case so that's a big plus.

I think there IS a car converter. . . not having a car I haven't looked closely at that. Have you checked out the pages on apple.com ?

Yes, there are two kinds of car converters, an FM transmitter (I nevered cared for this type), and a cassette adapter (this is what I've used), which works okay (some adapters are defective, however, and make excessive noise while in use--I recommend Monster brand).

Better of course is that some new cars now have an auxiliary jack, where you can plug the ipod directly into the car stereo.

Yes, there are two kinds of car converters, an FM transmitter (I nevered cared for this type), and a cassette adapter (this is what I've used), which works okay (some adapters are defective, however, and make excessive noise while in use--I recommend Monster brand).

Who has the cassette in their cars any more?! :blink:

Dmitry,

I also recently got a 2GB Nano. I did some experimenting with different encoding bitrates and did not discern a difference "when listening on the iPod."

I first tried the lossless.

Then 192 Kbps.

I am satisfied with 128 Kbps now...

And with only 2GB to play with, you'll appreciate the extra capacity with the smaller files.

Better of course is that some new cars now have an auxiliary jack, where you can plug the ipod directly into the car stereo.

There are also a number of after-market iPod adapters that plug directly into the factory stereo system on newer cars. I bought one for my Honda Accord, and have been pretty happy with it.

Since it's a "direct" connection, the sound is much better than the FM transmitter or cassette options. Additionally, the device I have also charges the iPod and allows me to control it with the buttons on the factory stereo and the steering wheel.

It doesn't show the artist/song info on the car's display, but I believe that there are some car stereos (in BWMs, for instance) that do support that feature.

A prediction: you'll have the 30 GB (or larger) model within 3 months! :);)

Crazy! I just got my iPod Nano 2GB on Friday from amazon. I am looking forward to ripping my boxed sets and other items I don't like to carry around in a CD case. Mosaics, Anthology of American Folk Music, etc...

2GB seemed like the right size. We shall see.

I bought one of the Xtrememac Microshield cases -- the clear one with the belt clip. Working well so far. the only thing it leaves open is the wheel[ and the top and bottom, of course.]

How do you adjust the limiters, etc. on the volume?

Crazy! I just got my iPod Nano 2GB on Friday from amazon. I am looking forward to ripping my boxed sets and other items I don't like to carry around in a CD case. Mosaics, Anthology of American Folk Music, etc...

According to Apple's ipod website, a 2GB Nano will hold 500 songs (@ 4 mins apiece), or 2000 minutes worth of music. This translates to about 28 cds, assuming they are 70 minutes long.

That means you could get roughly 4 Mosaic sets on there, if they are 7 disc sets.

Edited by Aggie87

According to Apple's ipod website, a 2GB Nano will hold 500 songs (@ 4 mins apiece), or 2000 minutes worth of music. This translates to about 28 cds, assuming they are 70 minutes long.

That means you could get roughly 4 Mosaic sets on there, if they are 7 disc sets.

I plan on connecting relatively often to move things on and off. That way I get fresh podcasts and different albums often-er.

There are also a number of after-market iPod adapters that plug directly into the factory stereo system on newer cars. I bought one for my Honda Accord, and have been pretty happy with it.

What's the name of a good one?

Check out Dension. I have the "iceLink Plus", but it looks like the "dICE" is a newer product.

There's also a ton of information about iPod adapters here: Logjam iPod Interfaces Forum.

Shit, Clinton...sounds like you've already got it down.

You're already listening to podcasts? whoa... :P

Hell yeah! There are some great jazz-related ones out there. I have been hipped to several cool records already, plus been treated to OOP Grant Green sides and some Mwandishi-era Herbie and Charles Lloyd live recordings. :tup

my 2 cents:

I meanwhile have three MP3 players :blush:

- one for outdoors being a CF player with replacable cards and replacable AAA batteries, a simple and robust and meanwhile "old" gadget. The stuff I put on there is normally 128kbit/s Lame encoded and that's ok.

- one 5GB Olympus m:robe100 which is now fully packed with music (mainly stuff when being on the train, plane or else travelling) and looking much more stylish than those Apples. I'm there using VBR3 encoding (should be around 160-190kbit/s), normally the rate that emusic is offering.

- a 30GB Packard Bell one that I use a mobile disc for unloading my photos (having UTG), doing regular back-ups of my notebook stuff (emails, work items) as well as player being able to drive regular headphones easily (Sennheiser HD25-1) but its a lot heavier (150gr.) so nothing to carry around every time. I would not want to miss it.....I'm there using VBR2 encoding (should be around 256+kbit/s) when saving records there.

Cheers, Tjobbe