Lou Blackburn - Complete Imperial Sessions BLUE NOTE

Tjazz

Was just listening to this in the car. Very nice stuff! Upbeat, tuneful; reminded me a little of Horace Silver. I like Tapscott's comping and solos. And the sound is just gorgeous! Even in the car, I could clearly hear the bass, and the piano sounds bright. I liked the arrangements - even on familiar songs (Delilah, Dear Old Stockholm, Samba De Orpheo), they've rethought the approach, and don't sound like other versions. I like the interplay between trombone and trumpet - heck, I like the whole thing!

Picked this up at one of the Tower closing sales, and am glad I did.

• 2 weeks later...

I posted this in now listening

I should have put it here

Highly recommended for Blackburn fans

Mombasa

African rhythms & blues

Looks like LP only.

I've been resisting getting dragged back into the vinyl world, but it is suggestions like this that weaken my resolve...

there was a recent CD reissue probably following the Conn... amazon.de has it

mombasa - african rhythm and blues at amazon.de

From Dusty Groove

A sublime blend of spiritual jazz and African rhythms -- and one of the few 70s recordings made by Mombasa, a European group put together by LA trombonist Lou Blackburn! The record's got a much more righteous sound than any of Blackburn's work of the 60s -- a boldness and sense of pride that comes from its blending of percussion, acoustic bass, and soaring horn lines on trombone, trumpet, and bamboo flute! Other African elements slide into the music too -- like bits of kalimba -- and the lack of piano or keyboards on the record makes for an especially earthy sound, one that trades rhythm from the percussion with melodies from the horns in a really magical way. Tracks are long, and the set was recorded with the same post-colonial energy as similar work from Paris or London at the time -- a really righteous groove that longs to be rediscovered! Titles include "Nairobi", "Massai", "Holz", "Kenia", "Makishi", and "Shango".

They have the CD

Dusty Groove

It sounds good,

In Blackburns own words, "Many people ask us" he say's "how one describes our type of music.

to this I can olny answer that I leave it to the audience because I don't want to give it a label,

for me it is simply ours Mombasa's Music.

Some might call it world music theres a label for you

I say a synthesis of styles

Edited by gslade

• 2 weeks later...

Mombasa

African rhythms & blues

Looks like LP only.

I've been resisting getting dragged back into the vinyl world, but it is suggestions like this that weaken my resolve...

there was a recent CD reissue probably following the Conn... amazon.de has it

mombasa - african rhythm and blues at amazon.de

the last in stock copy of German Amazon is finally on its way to me :)

(had to clear the effing credit card first... it's aching from too much use, of late...)

Got this a couple days ago from DG, and spun it a couple times. GREAT stuff!

As a big fan of Fela Kuti and other afro-jazz oriented music, I enjoyed this one a lot. Thanks again gslade!

I also took the time to check out the Sonorama Records site- for those into Bossa Nova, it looks like they've reissued several obscure bossa dates.

Mombasa

African rhythms & blues

mombasa~~~~_africanrh_101b.jpg