Harold Reynolds out at ESPN

For those of us who are major league baseball fans, there's some bad news this afternoon. After 11 years at ESPN, Harold Reynolds has been fired. The dreaded spectre of sexual harrassment is apparently what's behind his dismissal. Of couse, you can't judge someone until all the facts are present and accounted for, but ESPN simply would not move on something like this unless they had more than enough evidence to justify their actions.

Reynolds was a hero in Seattle when he played for the M's. His involvment in the community was both selfless and ceaseless. Not a flag waver, he just did this stuff because he thought it was the right thing to do. He always struck me as one of the truly good guys in sports. Someone like my own personal hero, Steve Yzerman, who just seems to embody everything that's right and good about sports. I'm just totally bummed to hear this. And that doesn't even begin to address what ESPN has lost in terms of his analytical skills and abilities, the overall personna that he brought to the table each and every night.

Up over and out.

Edited by Dave James

I've not heard the sexual harrassment accusations. I guess I don't listen to enough sports talk radio anymore.

I like the guy, but I'm not going to feel too sorry for him. He'll probably be working at FOX in a couple of weeks. Unless of course he is guilty of sexual harrassment. If that is the case give it a month.

While I've always perceived a bias toward the Yankees from Reynolds, he does have strong analytical and TV skills. Why oh why couldn't that joke of an ex-GM get the sexual harassment accusation instead? Regardless, I'm sure Fox will pick Reynolds up and if not, WTBS is going to need booth and studio talent. He'll be fine, I'm sure.

And as for the perceived bias, perhaps I was wrong. He did pick the Sox to win the East at the All-Star break. So maybe those previous Yankee predictions were just his honest opinion. ;)

Well, I asked about this in the MLB thread, not thinking it would have its own thread.

Have any of you heard that it is really about the ESPN coverage of A-Rod, focusing on that angle during the recent Yanks Rangers series? They are saying he had an encounter, a major disagreement with ESPN, over its coverage.

For my money's worth, the trashing has been cruel, borne of jealousy of his money more than anything. I mean in the stadiums. If Reynolds had issues with ESPN about it, I wouldn't blame him.

Then again, I hear the Yankee fans booed Mickey Mantle during his heyday. Guess they want to be known for being tough, by which I mean "semi-tough."

Two cents.

Too bad for Harold. He had a good run, no an excellent run.

I knew him in his Seattle days(live 1/4 mile from his old house).

Very much a player when woman did not complain about it.

Spent many a night with him in local tavern. Sweet, fun loving guy.

Trust me, I know how he hits on woman. Zero harrassment involved...

Edited by wolff

Espn did single out ARod during the Tronto series, which is interesting because, say what you want about ARod, he does go all out in his playing. I mean, why can't someone just have a bad series, it happens. This stuff of just picking ARod apart is just feeding into some kind of bias, and ESPN doesn't subject any other player to that amount of focus. Barry Bonds doesn't seem to the equal amount of grief from ESPN... couldn't have to do with BB having a "Reality Show" with ESPN? While I'm ranting against ESPN -- what's the deal with every decent baseball article is in the Insider section; I not paying money for that.

I don't think you fire someone for having an opinion. If that was the case, why didn't they turf Steve Phillips? He's far and away the leader in the clubhouse when it comes to dissing A-Rod.

Up over and out.

I think the point is that ESPN wanted to focus on A-Rod, and Reynolds thought it was excessive. There's no reason to shit-can Phillips since he's totally on board with the harping on A-Rod's failures. While I don't think ESPN is actually biased against Rodriguez, I did think that they got to be excessive in how they covered it, especially the continuous recaps of the week that never ended. Its one thing to show us how he struggled the previous night, but then they'd go all the way back a week or more to show us all the lowlights, yet again.

Maybe Reynolds said something a long the lines of "I'm not gonna sit at that desk while we bury him for no reason" and they said "see ya".

We can set aside A-Rod as the cause of his termination. It was a claim of sexual harrassment. According to the AP:

The former Gold Glove-winning second baseman, a member of the "Baseball Tonight" team for 11 years, said he didn't do anything to warrant his dismissal and wants his job back.

"It was a total misunderstanding," Reynolds told the Post. "My goal is to sit down and get back. To be honest with you, I gave a woman a hug and I felt like it was misinterpreted."

We can set aside A-Rod as the cause of his termination. It was a claim of sexual harrassment. According to the AP:

The former Gold Glove-winning second baseman, a member of the "Baseball Tonight" team for 11 years, said he didn't do anything to warrant his dismissal and wants his job back.

"It was a total misunderstanding," Reynolds told the Post. "My goal is to sit down and get back. To be honest with you, I gave a woman a hug and I felt like it was misinterpreted."

Sometimes I just wonder at people. <_< I'm an employer, and the rule is the same no matter who you are -- a person does not hug, or touch, anyone outside of a handshake, and I'm sure most businesses are the same. This stuff of "I gave a woman a hug and I felt like it was misinterpreted" doesn't wash. It's not what the intention is that counts, it's what the other person thinks that's important. Reynolds' employer does not have a choice in this matter: unwanted touches are grounds for immediate dismissal -- case closed.

Edited by Matthew

Dan,

First of all, I agree 100% with you. Under no circumstances does anyone with their head screwed all the way on physically touch anyone in an office/work environment unless there is absolutely no question about the acceptability of the gesture.

With regard to piling on A-Rod, Reynolds had just recently come over to Phillips' side in terms of his suggestion that the Yankees deal him. Doesn't sound like anyone who was vehemently disagreeing with the direction ESPN has elected to take on this non-story.

Up over and out.

Dan,

First of all, I agree 100% with you. Under no circumstances does anyone with their head screwed all the way on physically touch anyone in an office/work environment unless there is absolutely no question about the acceptability of the gesture.

With regard to piling on A-Rod, Reynolds had just recently come over to Phillips' side in terms of his suggestion that the Yankees deal him. Doesn't sound like anyone who was vehemently disagreeing with the direction ESPN has elected to take on this non-story.

Up over and out.

Agreed, except tha it was Matthew who made the point about touching in the workplace.

Matthew,

Sorry for misdirecting my citation. Give me an "E" on your scorecard. I feel shame.

With regard to the ESPN Insider, I couldn't agree more. It's getting to the point that anything that's even remotely interesting on their website is "Insider protected". I'm with you, there is no way in Hell I'm ever going to pay money for this. What it does tell me though, is there are a lot of people out there who will. Probably the same crowd that couldn't wait to get their ESPN cell phones so they can stay absolutlely current on a 24/7 basis (and pay through the nose for the privilege). I love sports, but my enfatuation has limits.

Up over and out.

Since the world today is all about 2nd chances, if he didn't squeeze an ass or butt, why not just suspend him for a week?

Interesting point, Berigan. What if he had done massive quantities of coke(Michael Irvin), then engaged in the same behavior, but immediately entered rehab afterwards? He'd be back in a few months!!!

It's really none of my business, but I think I am hearing spin both from ESPN and Reynolds.

I really hope Reynolds' spin is not the worse. You don't get fired just for hugging a lady and she misinterprets it. Not at his level. It goes much deeper than that. If he did something wrong but only THINKS it was a misinterpreted hug, then it might be denial of a problem.

Then if ESPN had other reasons to fire Reynolds, and just latched on to an accusation, there's little Reynolds or any of us can do if we are "at will" employees. They can fire us because of nothing if we work at their pleasure.

I would give Reynolds the same advice he has been giving A-Rod. Don't talk too much!!

Where is my smilie for take this with a grain of salt!