Forthcoming Blue Note projects

cannonball-addict

http://top40-charts.com/news.php?nid=25677

Kenny Werner: The unsung piano hero is recording his debut for Blue Note on September 5th-7th in NYC. The date will feature Werner's very personal writing performed by the all star collective of Chris Potter on saxophones, Dave Douglas on trumpet, Scott Colley on bass, and drummer Brian Blade.

Charles Tolliver: One of the stalwarts of the avante-bop scene of the 1960s, trumpeter Charles Tolliver's direct link to Blue Note's history is the trumpet chair he held in Jackie McLean's group of that decade. In the 1970s he began the Strata-East label with pianist Stanley Cowell and after 5 years of putting out fine records he maintained a relatively low profile until he formed his stunning big band in recent years. The ensemble, which contains a who's-who of jazz musicians from the past three decades, recorded this past June at Bennett Studio in New Jersey. Charles will be mastering soon.

:tup:tup:tup

Edited by sal

...Hello my name is Luka...

I hear ya, and she ain't jazz, but I really really like Suzanne Vega's music. They could do (and have done) a whole lot worse. I'll take her over Norah Jones or Amos Lee or any number of the new generation by-the-numbers neo-boppers or the (to me) ponderously boring Greg Osby anytime. I know that will get me abused on this board, but there it is...

Some nice things in there... sad to think that by 2008 or 2009 all of them will be OOP again...

Not to spoil the party too much, but Blue Note does reissue stuff in their RVG Edition that was reissued as regular BN reissues or Connoisseur Series reissues as little as four or five years ago, while most of their 80s/90s catalogue of young, still living, artists, to whom it would mean something to have their albums available, are long gone. I find that sad, not only with regard to the market, but also with regard to Blue Note, the label.

1 - The rapid cutouts aren't new to Blue Note. Happened in the golden era also, at least after Liberty took them over. I remember buying cutouts of 'Hi Voltage','Mustang','Dippin','Natural Essence', 'Bout Soul' and any number of other Blue Notes in the early 70's when I first got into it, and they hadn't been released that many years earlier. And something like 'A Fickle Sonance' was a pipe dream, something I just had given up ever getting to hear until the CD era changed everything.

2 - Not that many of their current items are holding up well enough to worry about future reissue strategies. As far as their new stuff, they're just another company now. I'll take a given year's Criss Cross new releases over Blue Note's any time. Something like the Tolliver or Kuhn have the mark of being really special, but that's actually fairly rare these days with Blue Note.

Edited by felser

2 - Not that many of their current items are holding up well enough to worry about future reissue strategies. As far as their new stuff, they're just another company now. I'll take a given year's Criss Cross new releases over Blue Note's any time. Something like the Tolliver or Kuhn have the mark of being really special, but that's actually fairly rare these days with Blue Note.

I don't think that's so fair a statement... Bill Stewart's "Telepathy" or guys like Sherman Irby or Mark Shim and many other younger musicians did some fine albums for Blue Note. And what about the Tony Williams albums (I know about the Select, but no Select if the stuff was around) or the albums from Hill's second Blue Note stay?

My main point is rather that it would be nice for these musicians to have at least some of their stuff still in print (I think Geri Allen's albums are all gone, too, and too many of Renee Rosnes' are a bitch to find - even Jackie Mac's "Nature Boy" came and went quickly). I don't see why smaller and less financially strong labels can hold stuff in print longer than EMI's jazz department, really. My point thus was not to state that all of revamped BN's albums should be in print and are great works of arts, although I would see things a bit more positive than you, I guess.

As for Criss Cross, they cost too much and have almost no distribution over here, so I'm afraid to say I don't have many. They look too much run of the mill for me to pay 25$ per disc.... (I only have three or four...)

But then I assume this is different tastes, in the end.

As for Criss Cross, they cost too much and have almost no distribution over here, so I'm afraid to say I don't have many. They look too much run of the mill for me to pay 25$ per disc.... (I only have three or four...)

Agreed on the cost of Criss Cross. I don't actually buy them either, but trade for them at every opportunity, and just find them to be a consistently strong body of work. Don't know that I've ever been really disappointed in one. That's how I used to be with Steeplechase back in the day also, really enjoyed them when I could get ahold of them, but couldn't afford to buy them outright. Except for the Live Tony Williams, I'm actually not that enamored of his later Blue Note albums, and the ones J-Mac did with Tyner and Onishi seemed overly polite to me. I do like Onishi's other stuff on the label, maybe best of all their latter day releases. Andrew Hill is someone I respect more than actually listen to, truth be told. Some of the Rosnes stuff is pretty good, but I want more than pretty good from the greatest of all jazz labels! Can't wait for the Tolliver. Can't remember the last time I looked forward to a new jazz recording so much!