Baby Face Willette Pre-BN Singles

Dan Gould

Does anyone know anything about Baby Face Willette's pre-BN recordings?

According to the Doodlin Lounge they are:

Hollywood 230, Wake Up Get Out/Cool Blues

Vee Jay, Why/Can't Keep From Lovin' You which features Red Holloway on tenor

Anyone ever heard or seen these? Are there any other pre-BN singles? And does anyone have a catalog number for the Vee Jay release?

Thanks!

Yet more info from this site about vee jay which confirms the 55/56 date

http://hubcap.clemson.edu/~campber/veejay.html

Early in 1955 Ewart Abner became the company’s general manager, formalizing a silent role he had assumed since Vee-Jay’s formation in mid-1953. Around June 1955, Vee-Jay followed Chess and other companies north to the record row on Michigan Avenue, just south of Chicago’s downtown—where mainstream companies and distributors had been gathering since after World War II. Vee-Jay established itself at 2129 S. Michigan. With the move, the company also began handling its own distribution for Chicago and surrounding areas.

Vee-Jay recorded a full array of talent during the year—jazz, blues, rhythm and blues, doowop, and gospel. An important addition to the company’s jazz line was Wardell Gray, who unfortunately died at age 34, within months of his first recording session with the label. Other jazz acts—perhaps broadly defined—making their debut on Vee-Jay were Baby Face Willette, Jay McShann, and Big Jay McNeely. Three outstanding additions to the gospel lineup were the Highway QC’s, the Famous Boyer Brothers, and the Staple Singers, the latter who would prove the label’s biggest gospel hitmakers. Two significant vocal groups also signed with the company in 1955, the Dells and the Kool Gents...........

Soul-jazz and hard bop pianist/organist Baby Face Willette was born Roosevelt James Willette on September 11, 1933, in Little Rock, Arkansas (though some sources say he was born in New Orleans and raised in Little Rock). His first formative experiences in music were in gospel, where he accompanied gospel singers. His first session was done for Recorded in Hollywood, in 1952; not long afterward, he settled in Chicago. The session he cut for Vee-Jay was his second. His singing and organ playing were supported by a band featuring Red Holloway (tenor), Jon Thomas (piano), Lefty Bates (guitar), Rhodell Fox (bass), and Moses Weedseed (drums).

55-332 Baby Face Willett [sic] Why Vee-Jay 176 Sept 29, 1955 c. Feb 1956

55-333 Baby Face Willett Can’t Keep from Lovin You Vee-Jay 176 Sept 29, 1955 c. Feb 1956

55-334 Baby Face Willette The Thrill of Love unissued Sept 29, 1955

55-335 Baby Face Willette My Baby’s Gone unissued Sept 29, 1955

Edited by andybleaden

Well, big thanks again to Andy Bleaden, my faithful record scout, as my copy of the Vee Jay single arrived today. Took quite a bit of audio editing to get the pops out (and the B Side, Can't Keep From Loving You, remains in rougher shape) but I can now report that Baby Face Willett sounded pretty darn good doing the blues/R&B vocal thing. :P

"Why" is an uptempo lament summed up by the first line,

"Why

do my baby

always

treat me wrong?

Tell me why ..."

the vocal is kinda smooth but expressive, really kind of reminds me of Ray Charles, particularly in his Charles Brown bag. Red Holloway adds plenty of tenor punctuations for Baby Face's complaints.

"Can't Keep From Loving You" is slower and starts with some churchy organ (not really in a good way). I thought that this was going to be some lame ballad, based on the opening, but its actually a very soulful blues in which the Ray Charles influence is even stronger, to my ears, than the A side.

It is way cool to hear Baby Face in his original musical millieu. Its too bad he didn't record other vocals later in his career. He actually reminds me of another excellent organ player who has a strong, soulful voice in addition to his fine organ playing: Jim Alfredson. :P

Seriously, here's hoping that we do hear Jim on a future Organissimo album.

humbled by praise (with head in virtual 'e' record bin waiting for next challenge!)

Actually this is kind of fun.....who is next?

I guess I miss the ol days when I used to have records *sniff* and rooting through record collection praying for a new find but this internet stuff sure comes a close second.

• 7 months later...