Joe Lovano

Late

I slept on this one far too long — just picked it up last week, and have really been enjoying it. Whenever I look at the cd, I say to myself: What was I thinking? Being a fan of Tadd Dameron's compositions ... and I don't buy the disc for almost four years after its release? Argh!

Anyway, if any of you (like myself a week ago) haven't yet tried this one, you're in for a treat. The "orchestrations" by Willie "Face" Smith of Dameron's tunes are respectfully, and tastefully, done here, and Lovano's soloing seems to step it up a notch (as compared to, say, his Trio Fascination album, which for some reason leaves me cold).

What I'm most struck by is how Lovano manages to integrate the phrasing idiosyncrasies of Sonny Rollins from around (I'd say) 1962 into his playing, and still have his solos be his own. First, I don't think anyone has successfully touched on this phase of Rollins' playing with authenticity, and, second, I can't believe (well, almost can't believe) that Lovano is still Lovano after doing it! Listen to "On A Misty Night." Lovano's whole solo, as I hear it, is marked by that sort of "tripping down the stairs" quality to meter that makes so many of Sonny Rollins' solos (from his RCA period in particular) so amazing.

And, the guy is playing a wooden mouthpiece? What a wild sound! I now understand the references I've heard to later Joe Henderson when I hear Lovano on this mouthpiece. He must have had a lot of fun putting this album together. My one (minor) reservation: I wish Gary Smulyan had had more solo space.

Then I find out this album won a grammy?

:party:

Hey Late, I really, really like this album, too. I rate it up there with Trio Fascination 1 and Friendly Fire. I'd like to add some insightful comment so that this is more than just an acknowledgement that someone else on the board really digs the disc, but I'm not too comfortable writing about music and your comments sum up most of what I'd try to say anyway. It's a great disc!