A Roy Haynes Boxed Set!

Interesting... ! So I just recieved Roy Haynes new Cd, Whereas and there's a very interesting card inside the CD... to summarize...

"Coming this winter, the Roy Haynes Boxed Set".. A multi-cd collection spanning Roy;s 60+ years of recording and performing. The card says if you return the card, before the holidays they will "send you full details on the set along with a deep discount offer." His Cd is on Dreyfus, so I looked up which records he's released on that label and here's the info...

1994 Te Vou! Dreyfus

1998 Praise Dreyfus

2001 Birds of a Feather: A Tribute to Charlie Parker Dreyfus

2004 Fountain of Youth Dreyfus

2006 Whereas Dreyfus Jazz

So I'm wondering if

a) this will simply be a reissue of the above (- the new CD) OR

b) previously unreleased live stuff??

If it's B - I am SO There!!!! Any thoughts...

Haven't listened to the new record yet but it's a live date with his new band... Love Roy and I'm sure it's awesome... Time to fill in that card and wait... :excited::excited:

Interesting... ! So I just recieved Roy Haynes new Cd, Whereas and there's a very interesting card inside the CD... to summarize...

"Coming this winter, the Roy Haynes Boxed Set".. A multi-cd collection spanning Roy;s 60+ years of recording and performing.

So I'm wondering if

doesn't this already answer your question?

No because his Dreyfus stuff only goes back 15 years and most of it is still in print...

"Coming this winter, the Roy Haynes Boxed Set".. A multi-cd collection spanning Roy;s 60+ years of recording and performing.

So I'm wondering if

doesn't this already answer your question?

from the dreyfus website:

This winter, Dreyfus Records is planning to release its first box set of Roy Haynes. This career retrospective will offer a unique perspective on the history of jazz - from the chair of one the music’s most recorded drummers. It will highlight Roy’s work as a leader, and as a sideman on several of the genre’s most pivotal recordings.

still seems a bit confusing/mysterious, i have to admit.

from the dreyfus website:

This winter, Dreyfus Records is planning to release its first box set of Roy Haynes. This career retrospective will offer a unique perspective on the history of jazz - from the chair of one the music’s most recorded drummers. It will highlight Roy’s work as a leader, and as a sideman on several of the genre’s most pivotal recordings.

still seems a bit confusing/mysterious, i have to admit.

Sounds like "Roy Haynes' Greatest Hits." I predict selections (unavoidably contestable) from various points of his career plus a lot from his Dreyfus releases. BWTFDIK?

• 1 year later...

I received this a couple of weeks ago at Roy's gig at JazzImpov.

It includes a wide rage of tracks throught his career from Pres to the Dreyfus years, and includes a DVD.

I haven't listened to it yet, but there's a lot of music and a nice booklet.

Edited by marcello

It includes a wide rage of tracks throught his career from Pres to the Dreyfus years, and includes a DVD.

I believe the DVD contains video of Roy at one of Jack Kleinsinger's Highlights in Jazz concerts - tribute to Bird perhaps?

Marla

I believe the DVD contains video of Roy at one of Jack Kleinsinger's Highlights in Jazz concerts - tribute to Bird perhaps?

Marla

Yes Marla, from 1973. It's a solo.

Again a useless compilation unless you don't have anything he plays on. But then the casual jazz listener isn't going to buy this either.......And the record comanies blame us for not buying cd's......MNaybe they should try to find out what we want on cd and that'a not this kind of cd sets (IMO).

Again a useless compilation unless you don't have anything he plays on.

Unless you don't have anything he plays on? I beg to differ. You could have several of these selections already and it would still be a valuable summation of Haynes' career. It's a Roy Haynes anthology. I think it's perfectly appropriate for jazz fans who are not serious collectors--me, for example.

I agree with Tom.

The set also includes music from his Hip Ensemble bands from the 70's, as example. Most people don't have those records ( I have one). Like Tom said it's a anthology.

It's really looks like a well put togethers set.

This is one of the problems with buying from the internet. In a store you could hold this thing in your hands and to get a real appreciation for the thing.

I saw it at Borders some time ago- it's a nice box even if you do have some of the material. It really shows the amazing scope of Haynes' versatility, and also how his playing has remained fresh and relevant to this day. The man is still at the peak of his powers IMHO.

A truly amazing musician, what a life he's had!

I didn't because I already had most of what's on it, which I realize was your point.

I still think it's a good purchase for some who doesn't have all those sides, or someone who wants to hear all those Haynes performances organized in sequence (which of course is something one could do themselves). Probably not going to sell a ton of copies, but a nice compilation nonetheless.