Lucinda Williams

Eric

ever heard "Car Wheels on a Gravel Road"? I am pretty much a jazz guy but this one knocked me out. Great tunes, great variety of guitar playing and I love her vocals - breathy and perfectly suited to her lyrics. Anyone else know her music care to share a recommendation?

Eric

The Koch CD that Hans mentions is essential. The other Lucinda in my collection is "World Without Tears", which is uneven, but the good moments are great. VERY intense, dark songwriting. Get the vinyl edition - it contains two bonus tracks not available on the CD.

I love 'Sweet Old World' - the songs are so strong and then delivered with that swaggering guitar rock style.

Her three since have impressed me less - great vocals, marvellous playing but the songs don't seem as memorable. I seem to recall reading somewhere how she claims to deliberately avoid the obvious in her song writing. But this, to my ears, seems to involve leaving out middle eights almost all the time now, which reduces the contrast within the song. And an irritating habit of repeating the same set of lyrics...particularly annoying when she's come up with a startling image (or expletive!) which catches your attention first time and then loses its impact by being repeated. Alot of her 'choruses' seem to be just repeated lines with no melodic variation.

I'm probably just listening with an ear tuned into more conventional songwriting. But as yet I've not been able to fathom anything particularly innovative about Williams recent style!

Pity. As I say, I love her delivery!

Edited by Bev Stapleton

Lucinda Williams - Koch (1988)

High recommendations for Lucinda Williams WHITE album. It was initially released on Rough Trade in 1988. Later re-issued by KOCH with extra cuts. The extra cuts are gems too.

If you really start to dig her, she has a couple of blues albums on Smithsonian/Folkways, that were released before her WHITE album. :g