New Spanish Label RLR?

Dan Gould

Decided to check out Da Bastids© a couple of days ago and stumbled across what looks to be a relatively new Spanish operation putting out some interesting things. Here's what a search at the Groove showed:

Chet Baker -- Koln Concert Featuring Dick Twardzik . . . CD . . . $11.99 (Item: 403314)

RLR (Spain), 1955 Condition: New Copy View Cart

A previously-unissued treasure from the Chet Baker tour of Europe in 1955 -- a rare live performance that features some of the last recorded work by pianist Dick Twardzik! The concert is presented here in its near-entirety -- complete with an announcement from promoter Gigi Campi, and a few spoken bits by Chet that offer a nice glimpse of his presence on the bandstand -- but it's the music itself that's the real highlight here, as the quartet of Baker, Twardzik, bassist Jimmy Bond, and drummer Peter Littman come off with a harder edge than some of Baker's studio sides from back home -- showing some of the more soulful aspects of Chet's work that would show up near the end of the 50s, and also presenting some of Twardzik's most strongly voiced work on the keys! Recording quality is relatively strong, and titles include "Exitus", "Imagination", "Tommyhawk", "Yellow Tango", "CTA", "Cool Blues", and "I'll Remember April". (From the Jazz CD (A-D) page.)

Chet Baker -- Lost Holland Concert -- Featuring Dick Twardzik . . . CD . . . $11.99 (Item: 415185)

RLR (Spain), 1955 Condition: New Copy View Cart

A previously-unissued concert from Chet Baker's legendary 1955 tour of Europe -- recorded with the famous quartet that included Dick Twardzik on piano! The album gives a really great sense of Chet's presence on the bandstand, and of the way the interplay between the group unfolded -- something that you don't always hear on the better known studio sessions from the same stretch. Most tunes feature an introduction by Baker, which then rolls into a slowly-building, often-extended track that allows for plenty of solo space. Recording quality is relatively strong, without any real distortion at all -- and titles include "Tommyhawk", "Indian Summer", "Imagination", "CTA", and "Someone To Watch Over Me". Added to these tracks are 5 more by the same group -- also recorded in 1955, with performances that include "Happy Sunbeam" and "Moonlight In Vermont" from a previously unreleased live date in Zurich on 9/24/55; plus "Walkin", "Indian Summer", and "All The Things You Are" from another live date from Mainz on 9/21/55. 10 tracks in all. (From the Jazz CD (A-D) page.)

Clifford Brown & Eric Dolphy -- Together -- Recorded Live At Dolphy's Home, Los Angeles 1954 . . . CD . . . $11.99 (Item: 397911)

RLR (Spain), 1954 Condition: New Copy View Cart

An amazing early document of two musical geniuses -- trumpeter Clifford Brown, then playing to great fame with the Max Roach group, and young saxophone genius Eric Dolphy, yet to make his mark on music with the Chico Hamilton combo! The tapes were recorded live at Dolphy's house in 1954 -- and although the quality is a bit rough at times, the playing is extremely compelling -- especially when comparing the sweetness of Brownie's trumpet to the harder edges of Dolphy's alto sax. The first 2 numbers feature Dolphy playing with the Brown/Roach group with Richie Powell on piano and Harold Land on tenor sax -- followed by 3 more tunes with Land, Brown, and Dolphy, plus additional unnamed players. The set's completed by a spare number that has Clifford Brown soloing next to an unnamed pianist -- and the total CD features 72 minutes of music, with titles that include "Deception", "Fine & Dandy", "Unknown Original Tune", "Crazeology", and "Old Folks". (From the Jazz CD (A-D) page.)

Clifford Brown & Max Roach -- More Live At The Bee Hive -- Chicago, June 30, 1955 . . . CD . . . $18.99 (Item: 427128)

RLR (Spain), 1955/1956 (2CD) Condition: New Copy View Cart

Additional live material from the classic Chicago performance of the Clifford Brown/Max Roach Quintet at the Bee Hive in 1955 -- issued here for the first time ever! As on the better-known Bee Hive material, the group here features Harold Land on tenor, Richie Powell on piano, and George Morrow on bass -- working under the co-leadership of drummer Max Roach and trumpeter Clifford Brown -- on very long tracks that really get at the essence of hardbop in a live setting during the 50s. Bee Hive titles are presented with reasonably good fidelity, considering the recording circumstances -- and tracks include "After You've Gone", "Blues", "Jordu", "The Song Is You", "What Am I Here For", and "Ballad Medley". Added to these are 5 more bonus tracks recorded in 1956, in New York -- with Sonny Rollins in place of Land on tenor. These titles include "I'll Remember April", "What's New", "52nd Street Theme", and "Lover Man". (From the Jazz CD (A-D) page.)

Clifford Brown/Max Roach Quintet -- Last Quintet Concert/Plus Newport . . . CD . . . $18.99

RLR (Spain), 1955/1956 (2CD) Condition: New Copy

Temporarily Out Of Stock: Hit the 'Send Request' button to receive an email notice if the item comes back in.

The last full performance ever from the legendary Max Roach/Clifford Brown Quintet -- recorded live at the Continental Restaurant in Richmond, VA -- just one week before Brownie's untimely early death! The recording quality of the performance is a bit less than some of the pair's more famous work -- but there's also a looseness here that more than redeems the tape quality of the set -- especially on the extended numbers that really let us hear the group open up and jam! The quintet's heard in 3 very long numbers -- "I Get A Kick Out Of You" (25 minutes), "Just One Of Those Things" (21 minutes), and "Good Bait" (16 minutes) -- all titles that really get at the spirit of the combo working together in a live setting. And these are followed up by shorter tunes that include "One For My Baby", "What's New", "These Foolish Things", and "Someone To Watch Over Me" -- played by a lineup that includes Sonny Rollins, Richie Powell, and George Morrow. The CD also features bonus tracks from the 1955 Newport Jazz Festival -- 4 that feature the group with Harold Land on tenor sax, plus one more that's a jam session with Clifford Brown in a group that includes Gerry Mulligan, Chet Baker, Paul Desmond, and Dave Brubeck. Titles include "A Ghost Of A Chance", "Daahoud", "Tea For Two", "I Get A Kick Out Of You", and "Jaqui".

John Coltrane -- First Giant Steps . . . CD . . . $11.99

RLR (Spain), 1946/1954 Condition: New Copy

Temporarily Out Of Stock: Hit the 'Send Request' button to receive an email notice if the item comes back in.

Mindblowing early work from John Coltrane -- recorded many many years before his initial fame with Miles Davis, but still with a nascent genius that's instantly apparent! The first half of the CD features Trane blowing early alto sax, recorded in Hawaii in 1946 while stationed with the Navy -- working in a small combo with trumpet, piano, bass, and drums -- plus vocals on half the tracks from singer Benny Thomas. The style is a surprisingly modern one -- certainly with influences from bop, but also almost showing some of the newer sounds that would come out of Coltrane's Philly hometown as 50s modern jazz rolled on. Arrangements are surprisingly fresh, and titles include "Ornithology", "Sweet Miss", "It's Only A Paper Moon", "Sweet Lorraine", "Hot House", and "Now's The Time". The second half of the CD features Coltrane working in a group led by Johnny Hodges recorded live in LA in 1954 -- this time around on tenor (Hodges is on alto), with other players who include Shorty Baker on trumpet, Lawrence Brown on trombone, and Cal Cobbs on piano. An unknown singer appears on a few tracks, and titles include "Thru For The Night", "Castle Rock", "Don't Blame Me", "In A Mellow Tone", "Don't Cry Baby Blues", and "Burgundy Walk". Recording quality on both sets of tracks is a bit "live", but never too distorted to get in the way of the extremely great music!

Eric Dolphy with McCoy Tyner -- Munich Jam Session -- December 1, 1961 . . . CD . . . $11.99

RLR (Spain), 1961 Condition: New Copy

Relatively loose live tracks recorded by Eric Dolphy in Munich in 1961 -- heard here in an unusual quartet group that features McCoy Tyner on piano, Reggie Workman on bass, and Mel Lewis on drums! The tracks here are all quite extended -- and recorded in a format that sometimes misses the first few notes of the tunes, but really focuses on the long solo work -- played by Dolphy on alto sax, flute, and clarinet -- often in a way that's a bit more hardbop than other live material from the time, especially other European recordings. Tracks include a 23 minute reading of "On Green Dolphin Street", a 15 minute version of "Softly As In A Morning Sunrise", and long takes on "Oleo" and "The Way You Look Tonight". CD also features a bonus track with better recording quality -- a version of "Impressions" that has Dolphy joining the John Coltrane quartet, recorded for German TV around the same time!

Kenny Dorham/Barry Harris -- Kenny Dorham/Barry Harris Quartet -- New York 1964 . . . CD . . . $11.99

RLR (Spain), 1964 Condition: New Copy

A rare and long unavailable performance of the Kenny Dorham-Barry Harris Quartet captured in action in NYC in 1964! Dorham's trumpet is full and very strongly in the lead in this set -- with Barry Harris's piano work provide a loose swagger underneath -- reminding us quite a bit of Bud Powell! Julian Ewell is on bass with Albert "Tootie" Heath at the kit. Titles include "Confirmation", "Ma, He's Makin' Eyes At Me", Monk's "Around Midnight", "The Theme", "Tin Tin Deo" plus the bonus tracks "Scandia Skies", and "Manha De Carnaval" -- featuring Dorham's quartet recorded live in Copenhagen in December of '63 with Tete Montoliu on piano, Neils-Henning Orsted Pedersen on bass and Alex Riel on drums.

Charlie Parker -- Charlie Parker At Jirayr Zorthian's Ranch -- July 14, 1952 . . . CD . . . $11.99

RLR (Spain), 1952 Condition: New Copy

Hard to believe that after all these years there's still some shred of music by Charlie Parker still not released to the public -- but this CD finally makes available a rare 1952 live date at the ranch of artist Jirayr Zorthian -- noteworthy for the appearance of Don Wilkerson and Frank Morgan on the bandstand next to Bird! The recording quality is pretty decent, especially after all these years -- and although you'll occasionally hear a bit of audience noise and party chatter, that kind of adds to the spirit of the album -- especially given that Zorthian was supposed to be a pretty liberal bohemian! Tracks are often longish, and Chet Baker also guests on one number -- and the rhythm section for the date features Amos Trice on piano, Dave Bryant on bass, and Lawrence Marable on drums. Titles include "Night In Tunisia", "Orinthology", "Cool Blues", "Hot House", "Scrapple From The Apple", and "Au Privave".

I recognize a lot of these titles as being fairly common trade/bit torrent fodder, and I think the Zorthian's Ranch Bird material got its own discussion recently.

Does anyone know about future releases this company is planning? Do they have a web presence? I was really surprised, given their business plan, that they are not listed in the Absolutedistribution.com site (Jordi's operation).

PS - gotta love how the Groove deals with the fact that these are private recordings:

and recorded in a format that sometimes misses the first few notes of the tunes, but really focuses on the long solo work

:g

W'oh!

Just found this on a Brit website:

THEONIOUS MONK. IN PHILADELPHIA.

Radio broadcast 1960 plus other miscellaneous broadcast sessions. With Steve Lacy/Art Farmer/Hank Mobley/Charles Mingus/Art Blakey/Thad Jones

RLR RECORDS RLR88623 CD £8.95

Hank with Monk? Can that be right? Or did they throw in some Hank radio broadcast from somewhere else?

I gotta say, the company may be slimy - I'm certain they have no plan to pay royalties to anyone, and they are obviously going after things that haven't even reached 50 year PD status - but I am really wondering what they're going to offer in the future.

Hey Dan, thanks for posting these things.

Regarding the Monk Philadelphia cd, it is probably:

Monk, Steve Lacy, Rouse, Ore, and Roy Haynes Philadelphia 1960: Straight No Chaser, Evidence, and Rhythm-A-Ning. A radio broadcast that has been circulating privately for sometime.

Monk with Hank sounds suspicious; I think it probably contains Monk's appearance on the Steve Allen Show in 1955 with a sextet comprising Art Farmer, Teo Macero (on Tenor), Eddie Bert, Mingus, and Willie Jones. Some discographies have listed Mobley in place of Macero, but I assure you it is not Hank. I have this broadcast and it has Well You Needn't and Off Minor.

Let me know the track listing, etc. for that RLR cd if you find it.

It would sure be great if a tape DID exist of a group Monk led at The Five Spot for two weeks in 1958 that had Hank, Kenny Dorham, Wilbur Ware, and Shadow Wilson!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Those other releases are interesting as well, but the MORE Bee Hive stuff is particularly compelling to me. I think I have all the other Clifford stuff on there.

Yeah Jim, MOON LIVES! Maybe a Sonny In Denmark Vols. 3 & 4 are on the way! :cool:

Does anyone know about future releases this company is planning? Do they have a web presence? I was really surprised, given their business plan, that they are not listed in the Absolutedistribution.com site (Jordi's operation).

They are now (absolutedistribution.com redirects to freshsoundrecords.com):

http://www.freshsoundrecords.com/catalogue...mp;label_id=140

Edited by Claude

They are now (absolutedistribution.com redirects to freshsoundrecords.com):

http://www.freshsoundrecords.com/catalogue...mp;label_id=140

I went to absolutedistribution.com and searched by Kenny Dorham - the set didn't show up. But now I see that RLR is listed under labels ... :cool:

Hey Dan, thanks for posting these things.

Monk, Steve Lacy, Rouse, Ore, and Roy Haynes Philadelphia 1960: Straight No Chaser, Evidence, and Rhythm-A-Ning. A radio broadcast that has been circulating privately for sometime.

Monk with Hank sounds suspicious; I think it probably contains Monk's appearance on the Steve Allen Show in 1955 with a sextet comprising Art Farmer, Teo Macero (on Tenor), Eddie Bert, Mingus, and Willie Jones. Some discographies have listed Mobley in place of Macero, but I assure you it is not Hank. I have this broadcast and it has Well You Needn't and Off Minor.

Thanks for the info, Andrew. I thought that the Philly radio broadcast was familiar but I can't seem to find it in all of the info files I've saved. Looks like its not yet out - absolutedistribution doesn't show it in the list of RLR recordings. Hopefully they'll give enough info that we'll be able to tell that it comes from the '55 appearance, and I'll trust you are right that it isn't Hank.

Any idea what appearances might include the other artists mentioned:

Art Farmer/Charles Mingus/Art Blakey/Thad Jones?

W'oh!

Just found this on a Brit website:

THEONIOUS MONK. IN PHILADELPHIA.

Radio broadcast 1960 plus other miscellaneous broadcast sessions. With Steve Lacy/Art Farmer/Hank Mobley/Charles Mingus/Art Blakey/Thad Jones

RLR RECORDS RLR88623 CD £8.95

Hank with Monk? Can that be right? Or did they throw in some Hank radio broadcast from somewhere else?

Breaking down the syntax in their listing, it sounds like some broadcast of Monk from Philly, 1960, plus other miscellaneous broadcasts, apparently from other miscellaneous artists. Gives credence to the sessions stated by those much more knowledgeable than me about these sorts of things.

I have that.

Here's what the tracklist says:

1. Announcement

2. Evidence

3. Announcement

4. Straight No Chaser

5. Rhythm A Ning into Closing Announcement by Louis Armstrong

Lacy, Rouse, Monk, Ore, Haynes; Live broadcast, Philadelphia, March 3, 1960

____

6. Blue Monk

7. Light Blue

8. Evidence

Thad Jones, Rouse, Monk, Ore, Higgins; Concert, New York, August 1957

____

9. Just You, Just Me

10. All the Things You Are

11. Suburban Eyes

Idrees Sulieman, Monk, Curky Russell, Blakey; Broadcast, New York, February 16, 1948

____

12. Steve Allen interviews Monk into Off Minor

13. Well, You Needn't

Farmer, unknown trombonist, Mobley, Monk, Mingus, Blakey; The Steve Allen Show, NYC, October 6, 1955

____

14. Especially for You

15. Nobody Knows

Sulieman, Lucky Thompson, Monk, Russell, Blakey, Frankie Passions (voc). Original recordings for the Washington label, NYC, June 1950.

I have that.

Here's what the tracklist says:

1. Announcement

2. Evidence

3. Announcement

4. Straight No Chaser

5. Rhythm A Ning into Closing Announcement by Louis Armstrong

Lacy, Rouse, Monk, Ore, Haynes; Live broadcast, Philadelphia, March 3, 1960

____

6. Blue Monk

7. Light Blue

8. Evidence

Thad Jones, Rouse, Monk, Ore, Higgins; Concert, New York, August 1957

____

9. Just You, Just Me

10. All the Things You Are

11. Suburban Eyes

Idrees Sulieman, Monk, Curky Russell, Blakey; Broadcast, New York, February 16, 1948

____

12. Steve Allen interviews Monk into Off Minor

13. Well, You Needn't

Farmer, unknown trombonist, Mobley, Monk, Mingus, Blakey; The Steve Allen Show, NYC, October 6, 1955

____

14. Especially for You

15. Nobody Knows

Sulieman, Lucky Thompson, Monk, Russell, Blakey, Frankie Passions (voc). Original recordings for the Washington label, NYC, June 1950.

How is the sound?

The Blue Monk track is actually from Paris 1967. It has been released on "The Nonet Live" on Charly as well as on "Live In Paris Vol. 3" on Thelonious Records.

The personnel listed is almost completely wrong, but it is the one they used on many old bootleg issues.

Here's the rundown:

Blue Monk: Paris 1967 Clark Terry, Rouse, Phil Woods, Jimmy Cleveland, Ray Copeland, Johnny Griffin, Monk, Gales, Riley. It's mostly a feature for Clark Terry w/ plunger, though. Great solo!

Light Blue & Evidence: Newport 1966 (been issued countless times) Monk, Rouse, Gales, and Riley.

Sorry I don't have exact dates in front of me, but I have the Sheridan Monk bio-discography which sorts all this stuff out.

The sound should be deasant on most of the tracks on the RLR cd, although it varies from date to date. The Steve Allen stuff is pretty lo-fi, but still interesting, especially the interview with Monk. He does not give elaborate responses to Allen's comments; no surprise. Regardless of the personnel listing though, I 'm sure it is not Mobley playing tenor.

The 1948 set might be the most interesting piece on there. Great playing from Monk and nice Sulieman, although none of Monk's originals are heard.

The RLR cd is probably an OK buy if you don't have any of the material it offers. However, just know that the personnel listings on some of the tunes must be taken with a grain of salt (& pepper).