Thelonious Monk Beer

Tjazz

Have you tried it?? :blink:

Brother Thelonious (Monk) Beer: North Coast Brewing's New Belgian-Style Abbey Ale

Posted: 2006-04-19

THE NORTH COAST BREWING COMPANY PRESENTS:

BROTHER THELONIOUS BELGIAN STYLE ABBEY ALE

With the developing interest in Belgian abbey ales and the monasteries that brew them, it's time to remind the world that here in the U.S., we have a Monk of our own. Jazz icon Thelonious Monk is the inspiration for North Coast Brewing's new Belgian-style abbey ale called, appropriately enough, Brother Thelonious. The beer is being released in conjunction with the Thelonious Monk Institute of Jazz, and the brewery will make a contribution to the Institute for every case sold to support jazz education.

Like a Belgian “Dark Strong Ale”, the beer is rich and robust with an ABV of 9%. The package is a 750 ml bottle with a traditional cork and wire finish and features a label picturing the jazz master himself.

”Being a huge fan of Monk and his music has made working on this project something special”, said Doug Moody, North Coast's Senior Vice-President and National Sales Manager. “We're honored to be associated with a world class organization like the Thelonious Monk Institute of Jazz and feel that this terrific beer will represent its namesake well.”

Look for Brother Thelonious wherever fine beers are sold and fine sounds are heard. The brand will be introduced initially in California. Seattle and Portland will follow shortly after that; then New York and Chicago and a national roll-out.

Does Brother Thelonious Ale Taste As Great As It's Name?

Aug 28 '06 (Updated Aug 28 '06)

Author's Product Rating

Product Rating: 4.0

Weight:

Flavor:

Complexity:

Pros

Very interesting, tasty, satisfying brew

Cons

none, really

The Bottom Line

A solid brew, well worth buying. Nice looking bottle, too. It will be on display in my studio, next to Saxo.

Full Review

Many thanks to the category lead, Bruguru, who was hip enough to enjoy this and add this to the database without me asking.

When I saw Brother Thelonious Belgian-Style Ale at my local liquor superstore, I had to have it. This had the best looking bottle with a musical theme since Saxo. I hoped that this would be good, since it is brewed in California by the North Coast Brewing Co., who has a great reputation.

Thelonious Monk was a famous jazz musician, both as an eclectic Pianist and composer. Their website proudly announced that:

“The beer is being released in conjunction with the Thelonious Monk Institute of Jazz (www.monkinstitute.org), and the brewery will make a contribution to the Institute for every case sold to support jazz education.”

Well, I’m all for jazz education, and I’m all for beer.

For me, the real question is “Does this beer taste as good as its name?”.

When I was in grade school, the horrid Old Milwaukee brand had an advertising campaign that asked that very same question. Of couse, I said that it did when I was choking down my first beers. I was wrong then.

So, what should a beer named after Thelonious Monk taste like?

Unique There weren’t a lot of players around playing his style beforehand

Bold almost bordering on shocking, some of his solo and compositional choices were a challenge for other musicians of his era.

synergy his bands always were filled with solid musicians, who achieved synergy together

juxtaposition of compositional and solo elements some of which didn’t appear to belong together

So, will Brother Thelonious testify to a jazz and beer lover?

The label describes this as “Belgian-style Abbey Ale” and reports an abv of 9.0%.

The Nose Lots of nice Belgian malt aroma, mild sweetness.

The Pour Dark brown, not quite black, a moderate head formed and then dwindled to about 25% of its peak. No real change in the aroma.

The Taste light malt, very sweet, fruitiness tasting like raisins, some molasses. There is a smoky flavor reminiscent of barbecue sauce. The body is closer to medium that Goose Island Pere Jacques, but it’s not quite there.

The Aftertaste Really intriguing – the smoky barbecue sauce remained after the rest of the fruit faded. This was an extremely pleasant finish. There was a little of the alcohol burn, but surprisingly little given the 9% abv.

Food Pairings This is a sipping beer. It is fine by itself. It would go well with steaks. I also think this would be great with strong cheeses.

Final Thoughts Y’know, I do think this tastes as good as it’s name. The barbecue sauce/smoky flavor provides uniqueness and juxtaposition. This brew is nothing if not bold but there is nice synergy.

I’ll go 4+ stars on this. Solid, enjoyable. I’ll buy it again.

Thanks for reading. God bless!

Please check out my beer reviews, some of which are listed below:

Goose Island Pere Jacques

Great Lakes Burning River Pale Ale

Founders Old Curmudgeon Ale

Founders Black Rye

Founders Imperial Stout

Bell’s Kalamazoo Stout

Bell’s 20th Anniversary Ale

Bell’s Batch 7000 Ale

Baltika #9

Chimay Blue Belgian Ale

Unibroue Terrible Belgian-style Ale

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

Goose Island Bourbon County Stout

Goose Island Demolition

Recommended:

Yes

Beer Name: Brother Thelonious Belgian-style Abbey Ale

Price per six-pack ($US): 7.99

Beer Rating: Better than most

48 reviews so far on beeradvocate.com, scoring an 84 which translates to "worth a try."

I'm a big fan of the brewery, as North Coast's Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout has been one of my regulars this summer. Love their barley wine (though I age it 1-3 years) and their Red Seal Ale is nice.

A Belgian is a whole 'nother matter though. Scanning through the reviews I get the impression that it's not making a great impression with those who know Belgians. Some complain that it lacks in complexity, others note that while it's okay, if you're going to spend $7 you might as well get a better Belgian.

I do wonder if aging would help, though I'm more curious about a tangentially named jazz beer by Dogfish called Pangaea. "Brewed with ingredients from every continet (crystallized ginger from Australia, water from Antarctica, basmati rice from Asia, etc...), this is slightly spicy ale, with a mouthful of rich flavors." It's the crystalized ginger that has me curious, not the ingredient from every continet part.

Edited by Quincy