Very good Chet Baker bio

Finally got my hands on and definitely can recommed De Valk's "Chet Baker: His Life and Music." Fine job in its own right and a needed corrective to James Gavin's "Deep In a Dream" (though De Valk's book, published 2000, came first). Among many things, De Valk's convincingly establishes that there was nothing fishy about Baker's death; Chet was alone in his hotel room behind a locked door and full of heroin and coke; he either fell or jumped from an open window. But that shouldn't be the final note; the book brings us as close to Baker the man and the musician as it seems possible to get. The only drawback for some will be that the emphasis is heavily on Baker's European years, but De Valk (a native of the Netherlands) makes a strong case that these were the years in which Baker's major musical contributions were made.

Larry,

I've had the de Valk Baker book for several years, but I've yet to read it. I did do the Gavin bio and that was depressing enough to steer me even clearer of the de Valk. I must make it a point to read that one.

Have you read de Valk's Ben Webster biography? I have that one too but, again, it remains unread. If you're read it, I'd be very interested in your reaction / comments.

Up over and out.

I enjoyed the de Valk book, but thought it was a little light. Not very in depth, but worth reading.

No, it's not a "tome," as someone used to say, but I think eminently sound in its human and (with a few minor cavils) musical judgments and simpatico in tone. Chet isn't given a pass, nor is anyone else, but neither is Chet or anyone judged by standards that a saint might not be able to meet. De Valk knows the scene, its people, and their behavoir (note, for example, the account of the abortive Getz-Baker tour and the distinction that is drawn between their personalities), and he also doesn't presume to know more than he does or what is simply unknowable.

I enjoyed the de Valk book, but thought it was a little light. Not very in depth, but worth reading.

No, it's not a "tome," as someone used to say, but I think eminently sound in its human and (with a few minor cavils) musical judgments and simpatico in tone. Chet isn't given a pass, nor is anyone else, but neither is Chet or anyone judged by standards that a saint might not be able to meet. De Valk knows the scene, its people, and their behavoir (note, for example, the account of the abortive Getz-Baker tour and the distinction that is drawn between their personalities), and he also doesn't presume to know more than he does or what is simply unknowable.

Yeah, it's definatley got a nice slant to it. I've enjoyed it quite a bit in that it informed me about his later years and work, which is taken seriously for a change. Also, the account of his last days is very revealing and puts aside any sort of romantic murder plot. Seems like there's a different Chet for every writer or filmaker.

I would really like to see a biography done by a musician who is able to illustrate Baker's unique musical genius in black and white, with examples and anylisis.

Just ordered a copy on line for cheap.

Anyone check this out?    

CHET BAKER - AS THOUGH I HAD WINGS $16.98

Chet Baker - musician, junkie, and progenitor of West Coast cool jazz - has always been an aloof mystery and a tortured saint. Until now. In these memoirs divided into 13 chapters, discovered after his mysterious death in 1988, Chet Baker's real voice can finally be heard as he writes of his life as a musician with stories of romances, drugs and prison interspersed along the way. Baker's original handwritten draft is shown along with the typeset version. Hardcover. 118 pages.

Anyone check this out?    

Chet Baker - musician, junkie, and progenitor of West Coast cool jazz - has always been an aloof mystery and a tortured saint. Until now. In these memoirs divided into 13 chapters, discovered after his mysterious death in 1988, Chet Baker's real voice can finally be heard as he writes of his life as a musician with stories of romances, drugs and prison interspersed along the way. Baker's original handwritten draft is shown along with the typeset version. Hardcover. 118 pages.

I think that's the book I got cheaply and disposed of quickly thereafter...

• 3 weeks later...

Recently finished this. Thanks for the recommendation. He's really in love with Chet's Tokoyo 1987. Been checking that out. Also, Hal Galper just released a new trio album this month including the piece, "Waiting for Chet." Recently spoke to Hod O'Brien about recording with Chet. The way he laughed and said, "Yeah, an album called "Blues for a Reason"" will stay with me forever. Glad this author commented on Chet's focus on the low register, and generally steered the story back to the music. Nessa sold the Steeplechase albums in the States during Chet's prolific time in Europe. This writer does well by those records. But I think he misses the boat on Chet Baker, Boston, 1954 (Uptown).

Edited by Lazaro Vega

Anyone check this out?    

I got a copy some years ago for £5 (blue cover) and have yet to read it !

Finally got my hands on and definitely can recommed De Valk's "Chet Baker: His Life and Music." Fine job in its own right and a needed corrective to James Gavin's "Deep In a Dream" (though De Valk's book, published 2000, came first). Among many things, De Valk's convincingly establishes that there was nothing fishy about Baker's death; Chet was alone in his hotel room behind a locked door and full of heroin and coke; he either fell or jumped from an open window. But that shouldn't be the final note; the book brings us as close to Baker the man and the musician as it seems possible to get. The only drawback for some will be that the emphasis is heavily on Baker's European years, but De Valk (a native of the Netherlands) makes a strong case that these were the years in which Baker's major musical contributions were made.

Agreed. I thought it didn't dodge the seamy side but avoided the despicable image pimping of James Gavin's shameful 'biography'. It was respectful of Chet without flinching. I've been thinking of buying this and your review clinches it.

Good lookin' out. :tup:tup (One for De Valk, one for razzing that enterprising interloper Gavin)

Edited by fasstrack