New Ipods

md655321

I've been using the new upgrades with no glitches I'm aware of, though it's still "fresh" indeed.

I would call the Apple Store before deciding what to do Bertrand, I would also like to add that I think it's a good idea for any user to keep upgrading iTunes and iPods as available. But that's just me!

PS: the new version of iTunes has a real cool set of views that allow you to view the collection album by album with artwork, or allows you to see a large image of the album cover in a panorama of neighboring albums at the top. Cool! (Especially appealing when viewing Monday Michiru albums in Artist mode!)

Edited by jazzbo

I agree with you Lon. For the casual user, it may be OK, in most cases.

I've just had a few frustrating times with some of the lifestyle-like software

so I check the forums now.

With the new iTunes, you come across threads like this and this.

It's Bertrand's call on this of course.

I want to add: I would normally just download something

and check it out and if it didn't work for me, then I'd just

go back to the old version, but Apple doesn't offer the older

versions after the new one is available - and this has always

been a real annoyance. Pretty much after you download 7,

you're stuck with it.

Rod

Edited by rostasi

The new itunes is working for me. As for upgrading the ipod, I usually hold back one generation, because of potential problems that might arise. I was eyeing the new 80 gb ipod, but I have also found a how-to upgrade one's own ipod, so I might just buy a 60GB toshiba drive for 150 bucks and do it that way. I don't need the video or color options yet.

Edited by Stefan Wood

thanks for the tip off Rod.

i DID download 7 on my mac when prompted and have not had any probs - x fingers - aside from the fact that i don't like the new grey squares next to selected songs (less contrast in the new skin that does not apply with fiddling on the system prefs - looks more like a computer now so it must be to keep the PCers feeling comfy).

seems most of the new stuff is all about the movies as the prefs have not shown any new features like: make a CD from a bunch of disparate sources not sound like a sonic rollercoaster.

i do see however that most of the folks in the second link you provided are running windows?

wonder if this whole conjoing with the dark side might be raising some ugly warts in the near future - now Jobs' gurus with big heads will have to fit them inside narrow windows.

A close friend in Switzerland says that he's had no probs either -

his only complaint, for now, is that it's more of a CPU hog.

I'm awaiting news from a Japanese friend after he gets out of bed.

We both subscribe to the Last.FM service and some folks on their forums

are saying that because of the removal of the silent spots between tunes,

the Scrobbler can't tell when one tune ends and another begins :lol:

I had a reeeeal bugaboo time with an iMovie/iDVD update a while back

that made me take 9 months to finish a DVD project that should've taken

9 weeks. So, I'm a bit cautious of these things. I'll decide probably sooner

rather than later.

What I don't like about the Ipod is that it inserts a moment of silence between tracks. When your listening to a live piece or long piece that is divided upto into individual tracks you get these little hiccups which are very disturbing. The only way around this is to record the entire cd as one l-o-n-g track, which is problematic for say Abbey Road. I don't want to have to listen to "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" or "Octopus' Garden" everytime I want to hear the extended suite on side two.

I've never understood the hostility directed toward "Maxwell's Silver Hammer", which is a silly but fun song. But that's nothing compared to skipping "Octopus's Garden". :o

Guy

re: iTunes 7 quirks

spoke w/ an apple tech and was told that the issues folks are experiencing are due to third party plug-ins and that it has nothing to do w/ the upgrade. "if you bought a new machine with it installed it would work perfectly".

huh?

kind of like replacing tires on the car but finding that that phantom bent rim that rode so smoothly with the old out of round wheels is now causing the wobble w/ the new factory issued set.

so it looks like i need to go and get under the hood ... which i don't do well.

Gapless Playback

iTunes now has options that enable the long-requested feature called “gapless playback.” This enables the continuous, uninterrupted playback of certain albums which were meant to be played without the short gaps that iTunes and previous iPods had to place between tracks. Good examples are live concert albums and electronic mixes.

To enable gapless playback for these albums, select the tracks in the album, choose “Get Info” from iTunes’ “File” menu, toggle “Gapless Album” to “Yes,” and click “OK.”

With this tag set properly, the iPod and iTunes will automatically play the tracks without gaps.