Kurt Elling

Head Man

Does anyone know what Kurt Elling is doing nowadays?

All his Blue Note recordings are terrific, especially 'Live in Chicago' but he doesn't seem to have released anything since 'Man in the air' in 2003. I presume his contract with Blue Note has been terminated but why hasn't any other label taken up this unique talent?

Edited by Head Man

Elling has a lot of fans, and deserves them. He's a talented guy who clearly has fun doing what he's doing. I can't find anything to hold against him in terms of his talent and commitment.

That said, I can't listen to him. He tends to be someone you either love or hate. There's a sort of preening self-consciousness about his singing that turns me right off. I don't dig Mark Murphy either. Give me Mel Torme, give me Eddie Jefferson, give me JOE WILLIAMS.

kurt elling represent everything i think is bad about jazz.

and i fear he feeds other peoples stereotypes as well and turns them off from exploring more of the music.

What does this mean???????????????????????

What it means is that I'd rather be turked by a syphilitic bear than listen to all of Elling's records in a row. :cool:

the ponytail, the soulpatch, the glasses, etc.....

What's any of this to do whether he's a good singer or not?

I don't have any problems with someone not liking him but really ..............

Anyway my question was 'Does anyone know whether he has a new record deal?'

Didn't know he had a new contract but did see him in Chicago last month as part of a Joshua Redman show/tribute to Coltrane. A little dramatic for my taste but I can see why he has lots of fans. I don't have any of his music but he put on a very well received show at Symphony Hall and I found him very good at what he's trying to do......btw, the pony tail is gone!

Mark~

Didn't know he had a new contract but did see him in Chicago last month as part of a Joshua Redman show/tribute to Coltrane. A little dramatic for my taste but I can see why he has lots of fans. I don't have any of his music but he put on a very well received show at Symphony Hall and I found him very good at what he's trying to do......btw, the pony tail is gone!

Mark~

not only is the pony tail gone but most of the facial hair and the theatrics! he made me a fan as a result of his eclectic performances at monterey this year. before that, i didn't really care for him. he's a talented, very knowledgeable performer. and i think a good guy besides. during an interview, he even spoke about the changes in his style, saying something like, "with time can come some wisdom".