Celebreties at your gig

Soul Stream

somebody who's a big jazz fan and and whom I used to see at Barry Harris's gigs in NYC gigs is Jerry Stiller -

also, years ago Al Haig used to play at a fancy restaurant in NYC called One Fifth. One night, around 1980, he says to me "look over there" and sitting at a table, watching intently, was Dustin Hoffman.

Edited by AllenLowe

My Mom (vocalist Rebecca Parris) was doing a gig at a restaurant/jazz venue (kinda) called Vibrato in Bel Air, CA. Front and center were Lainie Kazan, Michelle Lee and Joe Bologna. They stayed through all three sets and I did get to meet them; delightful people. Also at another table that night was actor Tony Russo.

I was also at a weekly gig pianist Gerry Wiggins and the late bassist Andy Simpkins had for a while back in the 80's at Dudley Moore's restaurant, Maple Drive in Beverly Hills. Sylvester Stallone seemed to be enjoying the music one night. Another night, Sugar Ray Leonard was in and also stayed around to talk with Andy for quite a while.

My guess is that it is very easy to run into famous folk in either/both Bel Air/Beverly Hills!

Marla

Edited by makpjazz57

My Mom (vocalist Rebecca Parris) was doing a gig at a restaurant/jazz venue (kinda) called Vibrato in Bel Air, CA. Front and center were Lainie Kazan, Michelle Lee and Joe Bologna. They stayed through all three sets and I did get to meet them; delightful people. Also at another table that night was actor Tony Russo.

I was also at a weekly gig pianist Gerry Wiggins and the late bassist Andy Simpkins had for a while back in the 80's at Dudley Moore's restaurant, Maple Drive in Beverly Hills. Sylvester Stallone seemed to be enjoying the music one night. Another night, Sugar Ray Leonard was in and also stayed around to talk with Andy for quite a while.

My guess is that it is very easy to run into famous folk in either/both Bel Air/Beverly Hills!

Marla

and don't forget Renee Taylor that night at Vibrato!!

and i heard your fabulous Mom last night. she was absolutely wonderful. she does the most amazing things with that voice of hers - and with such ease! thoroughly enjoyed myself.

somebody who's a big jazz fan and and whom I used to see at Barry Harris's gigs in NYC gigs is Jerry Stiller -

also, years ago Al Haig used to play at a fancy restaurant in NYC called One Fifth. One night, around 1980, he says to me "look over there" and sitting at a table, watching intently, was Dustin Hoffman.

Didn't Dustin Hoffman live right around Washington Square Park at that time?

I gigged with Gore Vidal once. Kind of. We were scheduled to read at the same time at the same literary festival. Guess who was looking at multiple empty seats ...

I had a similar experience with John Peel (the influential indie DJ). Result: tiny audience for my band, and I missed seeing John Peel!

Those were the days.

Edited by David Ayers

Hmmmm

Well before Jim and I were in Root Doctor they played for Clinton...does that count? :)

I once played for Jeffrey Feiger (attorney for Jack Kevorkian) at the state democratic convention.

We played for Mitch Albom (Tuesday With Morrie) on his radio program...

I don't know, I think soul stream has a celebrity stream goin' there!

Hard to compete with that.

Our drummer said in his last band, Ted Nugent showed up and wanted to sit in. His boss Duke Tomato said "but we don't know any of your songs". To which Uncle Ted replied "well I know all of your's". Wasn't a love fest...

Oh, Johnny Cash's guitarist (somebody from the Carter family) sat in...

but in the audience..I don't know...I play with my eyes closed. :cool:

Greg_Duke Tomato should have just told Nugent to piss off. BTW have you heard Duke Tomato's new cd?

Not really. Have you?

Hmmmm

Well before Jim and I were in Root Doctor they played for Clinton...does that count? :)

I once played for Jeffrey Feiger (attorney for Jack Kevorkian) at the state democratic convention.

We played for Mitch Albom (Tuesday With Morrie) on his radio program...

I don't know, I think soul stream has a celebrity stream goin' there!

Hard to compete with that.

Our drummer said in his last band, Ted Nugent showed up and wanted to sit in. His boss Duke Tomato said "but we don't know any of your songs". To which Uncle Ted replied "well I know all of your's". Wasn't a love fest...

Oh, Johnny Cash's guitarist (somebody from the Carter family) sat in...

but in the audience..I don't know...I play with my eyes closed. :cool:

Greg_Duke Tomato should have just told Nugent to piss off. BTW have you heard Duke Tomato's new cd?

Not really. Have you?

I have. The guy's sense of humor reminds me of a drummer friend of mine. Not bad musicianship either.

Back in about 1965, I sat in in a rehearsal band in LA. I'm playing first tenor

on a Gerald Wilson chart (it was a tenor feature written for Harold Land) and Harold Land walks in to the hall. He had come to take his son (piano) home after the rehearsal.

I took him home instead and met his mother :-)

You know, I just realized that I could play this game. In high school, I was in the church choir (no, really, dammit; I'm serious!! Hey, up yours as well, buddy!! :angry: ) and Lester Maddox spoke at our church. Okay, he's not really a celebrity except in Georgia, and he's a disgusting sack of excrement to boot, but it sorta counts.

Of course, after standing up in the choir loft and seeing him coming down the aisle of the church carrying his damned axe handle, I quit the choir and the church. So much for religion...

You know, I just realized that I could play this game. In high school, I was in the church choir (no, really, dammit; I'm serious!! Hey, up yours as well, buddy!! :angry: ) and Lester Maddox spoke at our church. Okay, he's not really a celebrity except in Georgia, and he's a disgusting sack of excrement to boot, but it sorta counts.

Of course, after standing up in the choir loft and seeing him coming down the aisle of the church carrying his damned axe handle, I quit the choir and the church. So much for religion...

Sounds like you had an epiphany to me, so it's all good. :D