Rudy's supposed hearing loss

CJ Shearn

Steve Hoffman could probably tell us exactly what is going on with  these BN remasters being bright. He has a bulletin board, but I can't find it at the moment.  I have quite a few of his jazz remasters(Prestige, etc.) that are great.

Here's what Steve Hoffman said of RVG's recordings :

"The Rudy Van Gelder sound recipe? That's easy. Take three or four expensive German mics with a blistering top end boost, put them real close to the instruments, add some extra distortion from a cheap overloading mic preamp through an Army surplus radio console, put some crappy plate reverb on it, and record. Then, immediately (and for no good reason), redub the master onto a Magnatone tape deck at +6, compressing the crap out of it while adding 5 db at 5000 cycles to everything. That's the Van Gelder Sound to me".

The Rudy Van Gelder "Sound". Steve, did you really describe it like this

Here are some discussions on Blue Note remasterings, with comments from Steve (but he seems to be quite prejudiced on new remasterings generally):

Steve: What you can't remaster...

Which Blue Train: SACD or DAD?

Blue Note SACDs Are Here!

Edited by Claude

Dmitry, if you're asking me, you're asking the wrong person. I got my original copy from the BN gentlemen back in 1958. This was the only copy of this classic that I had until BN reissued the socalled Ultimate Blue Train CDc with alternates.

Believe me, I won't be looking for the SAC or the DAD.

I'm not with Steve Hoffman. Good old Rudy and the BN gentlemen knew what they were doing. The mono LP has been playing thousands of times. Still looks and sounds great!

Thank you, Claude. The posts from Hoffman's forum answered quite a few questions I had.

At this point, I'd have to trust Hoffman's ears and opinions. His remasterings of Nat King Cole/The Very Thought of You, Rollins/Sax Colossus and Elvis Presly/Elvis is Back are three of my go-to LP's whenever I can't decide what to play.