FACE TO FACE Baby Face Willette

Soul Stream

Baby Face Willette's "Face to Face" was one of the first organ records I ever came across in the "used bin" (luckily), and really inspired me.

I used to listen to this one A LOT. For years. It's taken a back seat until today, when I put it on for the first time in a while. It made me realize something my neophyte ears told me long ago...that this may well be THE BEST ORGAN RECORD EVER MADE!!!!! I know that type of grand statement gets made now and then. But truely, Grant Green is so on fire, as is Ben Dixon, Fred Jackson on Tenor, and Baby Face is so FRESH and explosive. A truely phenomenal recording. And one that, if it doesn't top the list, it's surely in the top 5.

I'll have to listen to this one again.  I haven't spun it in a looooong time.  All my CDs are still packed from moving too, so it might be awhile. 

I remember when I first got it I was struck by Willette's attack and the tone he got out of the organ... very percussive and jabby.

Yeah, Willette's tone, phrasing and sheer power are really hard to match. There is a short list of unique organists, and BFW is on there for sure!

Edited by Soul Stream

Soul Stream, I've been meaning to ask you, what's the name and label of that Ben Dixon date that Scone is on?

The CD is entitled "Say Yes To Your Best." it was under Ben Dixon. It used to be sold on his website (americanclassicaljazz.com if i remember right), which last time I checked was down. I'll call Ben if you'd like to see about ordering one from him. It's a homegrown deal, but professionally manufactured, produced, ect. It's a REAL good CD, and one that sounds like it was done in about 1964. Ben wrote all the tunes on it too except a couple. If you remember right, Ben wrote a lot of tunes on Patton's "Along Came John" and also penned "Cantaoupe Woman" among other things, so you KNOW his tunes are BAAAD.

By the way, I'm listening to "Face to Face" as well right now...again. Put on some headphones and CRANK IT UP. It's really gooood LOUD!

Let me know if you want me to call Ben about that....

Speaking of Baby Face, has anybody else heard "Behind the Eight Ball?" A great date (Argo, I believe, but the disc isn't in front of me at the moment). My question, though, is: what's up with the sound on this one? The organ, especially, sounds very distorted, as if it's seriously clipping or had a recording limiter set way too high. Is this just on the Jpn CD or is the original LP like this as well?

Ray

Speaking of Baby Face, has anybody else heard "Behind the Eight Ball?" A great date (Argo, I believe, but the disc isn't in front of me at the moment). My question, though, is: what's up with the sound on this one? The organ, especially, sounds very distorted, as if it's seriously clipping or had a recording limiter set way too high. Is this just on the Jpn CD or is the original LP like this as well?

Ray

I think it's just recorded that way. I've got an LP, so I'll listen to that....but, I think the studio that alot of those Argo and Cadet things were cut at was kind of questionable-The Tel-Arc studios in Chicago. Jack McDuff told me that place was a dump. However, "Behind The 8 Ball" is still a truely GREAT date!!!!! :D

Oh it's a *killer* date all right, but the organ sound drives me nuts. I used to have a CDR of this that I figured was home-mastered by somebody off an old LP... and mastered so hot that the digital limiter cut in. Then I recently found the import CD of it and it sounded exactly the same. Still groovy though...

I think it's just recorded that way. I've got an LP, so I'll listen to that....but, I think the studio that alot of those Argo and Cadet things were cut at was kind of questionable-The Tel-Arc studios in Chicago. Jack McDuff told me that place was a dump. However, "Behind The 8 Ball" is still a truely GREAT date!!!!! :D

The old Chess studio may have been a dump, but the studio McDuff recorded "The Natural Thing" in was state of the art in 1968. I did some sessions there and wish it still existed.

The Chess studios were called Ter-Mar after the 2 Chess kids, Terry and Marshall.

I think it's just recorded that way.  I've got an LP, so I'll listen to that....but, I think the studio that alot of those Argo and Cadet things were cut at was kind of questionable-The Tel-Arc studios in Chicago.  Jack McDuff told me that place was a dump.  However, "Behind The 8 Ball" is still a truely GREAT date!!!!! :D

The old Chess studio may have been a dump, but the studio McDuff recorded "The Natural Thing" in was state of the art in 1968. I did some sessions there and wish it still existed.

The Chess studios were called Ter-Mar after the 2 Chess kids, Terry and Marshall.

Ah Yes, the Tel-Mar studios...I was just going by memory and Tel-Arc came out :wacko: .

I didin't know that was the Chess records studio! Wow, of course I LOVE Chess, but now I know why those Argo Baby Face albums sound so nice and lowdown.

Nice to know you're a Face To Face lover Chuck! Being a Chicagoan from back in the day....Did you ever get a chance to see or meet Baby Face Willette? As you probably know, it's kind of a mystery as to whatever happened to him.

I remember when this came out, the CD store I bought from had it on and they were tripped out by the fact that I could pick out the organist without looking at the disc. He had a unique tone, that's for sure...

...not my favorite organist by any means, but I have 4 of his CD's and I'm glad I do.. this is my favorite one of the bunch.

BTW, Soul Stream, how is Ben Dixon doing?

BTW, Soul Stream, how is Ben Dixon doing?

Ben is doing GREAT!!!! Man, he's so in shape and healthy, he's got to look 10 years younger than his age at least. He's slender, muscular....officiates basketball games to show you how in shape that cat is.

His drumming is still amazing. He just retired and is getting back into gigging more now. He's playing with Lonnie Smith and Rhoda Scott and the Vail Jazz Festival at the end of the month.

Plus, to this day, Ben is one of the "hippest" cats you'll ever meet. Slick. He dresses slick, talks slick and PLAYS slick....! :D

Ben Dixon is SLICK. And these can back it up!

George Braith Laughing Soul

George Braith Musart

Lou Donaldson Natural Soul

Lou Donaldson Good Gracious

Lou Donaldson Signifyin'

Lou Donaldson Musty Rusty

Lou Donaldson Man with a Horn

Ray Draper Quintet Tuba Sounds

Grant Green Grant's First Stand

Grant Green Sunday Mornin'

Grant Green Have Guitar, Will Travel

Grant Green Am I Blue?

Grant Green His Majesty, King Funk

Grant Green Iron City

Grant Green Blues for Lou

Grant Green Ballads

Richard "Groove" Holmes Soul Power

Boogaloo Joe Jones Introducing the Psychedelic Soul...

Boogaloo Joe Jones Mindbender

Jack McDuff Honeydripper

John Patton Along Came John

Big John Patton Blue John

John Patton Way I Feel

John Patton Oh Baby!

Sonny Phillips Black Magic

Sonny Phillips My Black Flower

Sonny Phillips Sure 'Nuff

Harold Vick Steppin' Out!

Don Wilkerson Shoutin'

Baby Face Willette Face to Face

Baby Face Willette Stop and Listen

Can anyone post a photo of the man?

I've not played Willette as a leader for some time and didn't really have a strong view about him or his BN dates. Both "Face to Face" and "Stop and Listen" are good solid dates. I prefered "Stop and Listen", a very nice laid back session. However, John Patton is still my man on Hammond.

Oh yeah! Is that Patton Mosaic select available for pre-order yet?

With my engagement official now, I've got just a few months of unconstrained (except by my own inner conscience) CD spending, so I'm glad that Patton set is coming out now, right after my birthday.

Is it true that Baby Face died in the 90's?