Les Tresors du Jazz

Durium

I got my box of "L'histoire du Piano Jazz" yesterday (from FNAC for 42€ shipping incl.), skimmed the booklet and am looking forward to listening to this treasure chest of piano jazz covering the period from 1899 (Scott Joplin piano rolls) to 1958 and some 130 pianists. Great work again by Francis and Schwarz!

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I simply don't have time to see how much overlap there's between the first (puke green) Piano Jazz box mentioned above somewhere and this one, but I assume there must be. I just checked if CD1 of that box and CD 1 of this one are identical ... they are not.

I just made a quck comparison: With the exception of roughly 10 tracks everything that's in the green 10cd box is also in the 25cd box.

I don't think so - as I recall, Berlin only made the case (convincingly) that they did not come from Joplin.

A few years back Shout wanted me to master these, write notes, and release them as Joplin rolls; they got a little annoyed with me when I told them the truth - apparently I messed up their release schedule. But I couldn't say something I knew was untrue.

jiust trying to recall - and I may actually call Ed to ask - but as I remember there was some evidence that Joplin was involved in the cutting of the rolls, but that they had been so altered as to make his participation meaningless - because for years they were seen as evidence of how he played his own music.

Edited by AllenLowe

I simply don't have time to see how much overlap there's between the first (puke green) Piano Jazz box mentioned above somewhere and this one, but I assume there must be. I just checked if CD1 of that box and CD 1 of this one are identical ... they are not.

I just made a quick comparison: With the exception of roughly 10 tracks everything that's in the green 10cd box is also in the 25cd box.

Thanks for checking. I thought a large part must be included in the new box as well. I paid Euro 9 for the old box, so no skin off my nose.

I simply haven't had the time and, to be quite honest, I doubt I'll be able to actually check the new box out in more detail before the new year. There's just too much backlog at my end because for some reason or another, there have been far too many too many good offers these past months which I couldn't pass up. I've got a meter-high stack of mostly boxed sets and reissues to go through. :)

It certainly looks fascinating. One thing I can't tell is if all the tracks are solo piano, particularly the last few CDs. Personally I would e more inclined to buy if the format was mixed up a bit, but I know someone who would love a big box set of solo piano pieces. Thanks.

It certainly looks fascinating. One thing I can't tell is if all the tracks are solo piano, particularly the last few CDs. Personally I would e more inclined to buy if the format was mixed up a bit, but I know someone who would love a big box set of solo piano pieces. Thanks.

There not all solo piano, not at all. Many trio sessions etc.

There not all solo piano, not at all. Many trio sessions etc.

There are 524 tracks overall. I counted 196 Solo sessions (including some duets and the boogie woogie trio of Ammons, Johnson and Lewis) and 253 Trio (p/b/dms or p/g/b) and Quartet (p/g/b/dms) sessions. The rest is divided into Duos (p/b, p/dms or piano and horn) and several Small Group sessions (among them MJQ, Dave Brubeck Quartet, George Shearing Quintet).

Edited by Tommy T

I took a look at the scanned pictures of the piano set and

and found a number of tracks for artists that are on the Tresors

boxed series, so I wouldn't be surprised to find that most or even all

of this material may have been taken from Tresors du Jazz

series and re-packaged as a piano box set. If that's the case, then

it may not be worth buying if you already own the Tresors set.

• 10 months later...

The 'Les Trésors du Jazz' seems dead by now. But there is hope...

understand André Francis and Jean Schwartz are working on a soon-to-be-released series of sets 'La Grande Histoire du Jazz' that is going to be distributed by Le Chant du Monde. Nothing yet on Le Chant du Monde website.

The 'Les Trésors du Jazz' seems dead by now. But there is hope...

understand André Francis and Jean Schwartz are working on a soon-to-be-released series of sets 'La Grande Histoire du Jazz' that is going to be distributed by Le Chant du Monde. Nothing yet on Le Chant du Monde website.

Thanks for the heads up.

I'm still a huge fan of the "Trésors" series and am still really digging it a lot.

Pity that other cheapos have dealt it a death blow.

It wouldn't surprise me though if Francis and Schwartz are once again re-releasing the wealth of material they have remastered ... just in a new package with a new title.

If it really is a history of jazz, I guess they're just going to take all/some/a selection from the Trésors, Piano Jazz, Big Band etc sets to present them in a new/different "sequence".

I hope that will not be the case.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Has anyone found more about these anywhere?

I still think they are a mere repackaging of various other box sets they've had out there, but I would need a tracklisting of any of these four to compare.

The "Le Chant du Monde" website - the last time I checked a few days ago - still had zilch info (besides covers and publicity blurb) about these (not on the French portion of their site either).

This is beginning to be comparable to other cheapo offers. Have it available but post no info to make the customer buy the cat in the bag.

So far, very disappointed by "Le Chant du Monde", who have done much better in the past.

Not a way to sell these probably spectacular sets (for those who don't have others) to potential customers.

Edited by neveronfriday

No listings available yet on what's inside those new boxes which I see every time I visit my favorite record shop but I understand there are mainly fresh versions of Les Trésors du Jazz series. No major addition except for volume 4 which has recordings that go up to 1959 (volume 8 of Les Trésors du jazz did not go beyond 1957.

There was an interview with André Francis in the Paris daily Liberation yesterday (for french-speaking readers only) ...

André Francis interview

In typical Liberation fashion, the title of the article is a play on the word coffret. It means 'box' and also reads coffrer 'being arrested'.

Edited by brownie

orked.

I got the full track listing for all four boxes (four files, which look like the basis for the tracklistings on the box sets (see examples below)).

I'm not going to post the files here, they are simply too large, but if you can wait until my website is live again end of next week, the stuff will be on there.

Some observations:

a) "Les Trésors du Jazz" went up until CD 75 before it kicked the bucket.

b) Just quickly, I compared the last two CDs of the 1957 (last) box with the contents of the new boxes ... identical, same sequence, session, etc.

c) They must have added some material from other boxed sets of theirs (Piano Jazz, Big Band, ... my guess) because at the point where Tresors and these new sets are identical, the new ones are up to CD 77.

I'll give these very long files (4 documents with 300 to 800 kb of text each) a closer look next week to see where the changes are (they could have also just put a few tracks less here and there on each CD of the new set). Right now I don't have the time.

Cheers!

Example. These are the last two CDs (74 and 75) of the Tresors series as they appear in the new boxed sets (CD 75 and onward). The track listing is completely identical.

CD 75 : 76'49

1 Just One of Those Things 4'22

(Cole Porter)

Gil Evans & Ten

Louis Mucci, Jake Koven (tp) Jimmy Cleveland (tb) Bart Varsalona (b tb) Willie Ruff (cor) Lee Konitz (as) Steve Lacy (ss) Dave Kurtzer (basson) Gil Evans (p, dir, arr) Paul Chambers (b) Nick Stabulas (dms)

Hackensack, New Jersey, 10 octobre 1957

2 Jambangle 4'57

(Gil Evans)

Gil Evans & Ten

Louis Mucci, Jake Koven (tp) Jimmy Cleveland (tb) Bart Varsalona (b tb) Willie Ruff (cor) Lee Konitz (as) Steve Lacy (ss) Dave Kurtzer (basson) Gil Evans (p, dir, arr) Paul Chambers (b) Nick Stabulas (dms)

Hackensack, New Jersey, 10 octobre 1957

3 Artistry in Blues 2'45

(Stan Kenton)

Stan Kenton & His Orchestra

Ed Leddy, Billy Catalano, Lee Katzman, Sam Noto, Phil Gilbert (tp) Jim Amlotte, Kent Larsen, Archie LeCoque, Don Reed (tb) Ken Shroyer (btb) Lennie Niehaus (as) Wayne Dunstan, Bill Perkins (ts) Steve Perlow, Bill Robinson (bs) Stan Kenton (p, arr) Red Kelly (b) Jerry McKenzie (dms)

Rendezvous Ballroom, Balboa Beach, CA, 10 octobre 1957

4 Pap's Blues 7'04

(Ray Brown)

Herb Ellis

Roy Eldridge (tp) Stan Getz (ts) Herb Ellis (g) Ray Brown (b) Stan Levey (dms)

Los Angeles, 11 octobre 1957

5 Ballad 5'41

(Gerry Mulligan)

Stan Getz & Gerry Mulligan

Stan Getz (ts) Gerry Mulligan (bs) Lou Levy (p) Ray Brown (b) Stan Levey (dms)

Los Angeles, 12 octobre 1957

6 Whisper Not 5'56

(Benny Golson)

Benny Golson

Art Farmer (tp) Jimmy Cleveland (tb) Julius Watkins (cor) Gigi Gryce (as) Benny Golson (ts, arr) Sahib Shihab (bs) Wynton Kelly (p) Paul Chambers (b) Charlie Persip (dms)

New York, 14 octobre 1957

7 Bewitched, Bothered & Bewildered 4'09

(Richard Rodgers/Lorenz Hart)

Kenny Drew

Kenny Drew (p) Wilbur Ware (b) Philly Joe Jones (dms)

New York, 15 octobre 1957

8 It Never Entered My Mind 3'32

(Richard Rodgers/Lorenz Hart)

Stan Getz

Stan Getz (ts) Oscar Peterson (p) Herb Ellis (g) Ray Brown (b) Connie Kay (dms)

Opera House, Chicago, 19 octobre 1957

9 The Kid From Red Bank 2'33

(Neal Hefti)

Atomic Basie

Thad Jones, Joe Newman, Snooky Young, Wendell Culley (tp) Henry Coker, Al Grey, Benny Powell (tb) Marshal Royal (cl, as) Frank Wess (as, fl) Frank Foster, Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis (ts) Charlie Fowlkes (bs) Count Basie (p, dir) Freddie Green (g) Eddie Jones (b) Sonny Payne (dms) Neal Hefti (arr)

New York, 21 octobre 1957

10 Li'l Darlin' 4'45

(Neal Hefti)

Atomic Basie

Thad Jones, Joe Newman, Snooky Young, Wendell Culley (tp) Henry Coker, Al Grey, Benny Powell (tb) Marshal Royal (cl, as) Frank Wess (as, fl) Frank Foster, Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis (ts) Charlie Fowlkes (bs) Count Basie (p, dir) Freddie Green (g) Eddie Jones (b) Sonny Payne (dms) Neal Hefti (arr)

11 Whirly Bird 3'48

(Neal Hefti)

Atomic Basie

12 Stephanie 3'53

(Lee Konitz)

Lee Konitz Quartet

Lee Konitz (as) Billy Bauer (g) Henry Grimes (b) Dave Bailey (dms)

New York, 22 octobre 1957

13 Sonnymoon For Two 8'43

(Sonny Rollins)

Sonny Rollins Trio

Sonny Rollins (ts) Wilbur Ware (b) Elvin Jones (dms)

Village Vanguard, New York, 3 novembre 1957

14 Softly As In A Morning Sunrise 7'57

(Sigmund Romberg/Oscar Hammerstein)

Sonny Rollins Trio

Sonny Rollins (ts) Wilbur Ware (b) Elvin Jones (dms)

Village Vanguard, New York, 3 novembre 1957

15 Before Dawn 5'53

(George Wallington)

George Wallington

Donald Byrd (tp) Phil Woods (as) George Wallington (p) Nabil "Knobby" Totah (b) Nick Stabulas (dms)

New York, 14 novembre 1957

CD 76 : 78'00

1 Slightly Monkish (Jimmy Smith) 7'00

Jimmy Smith Trio

Jimmy Smith (org) Eddie McFadden (g) Donald Bailey (dms)

Small's Paradise, New York, 15 novembre 1957

2 Laura (David Raksin) 10'17

Jimmy Smith Trio

Jimmy Smith (org) Eddie McFadden (g) Donald Bailey (dms)

Small's Paradise, New York, 15 novembre 1957

3 The Golden Striker (John Lewis) 5'11

Oscar Peterson Trio

Oscar Peterson (p) Herb Ellis (g) Ray Brown (b)

Montréal ou Toronto, novembre 1957

4 Florence sur les Champs-Elysées (Miles Davis) 2'50

Miles Davis

Miles Davis (tp) Barney Wilen (ts) René Urtreger (p) Pierre Michelot (b) Kenny Clarke (dms)

Paris, 4/5 décembre 1957, musique du film Ascenseur pour l'échafaud

5 Dîner Au Motel (Miles Davis) 3'55

Miles Davis

Miles Davis tp) Barney Wilen (ts) René Urtreger (p) Pierre Michelot (b) Kenny Clarke (dms)

6 Au Bar Du Petit Bac (Miles Davis) 2'54

Miles Davis

Miles Davis tp) Barney Wilen (ts) René Urtreger (p) Pierre Michelot (b) Kenny Clarke (dms)

7 Crazy Day (Gerry Mulligan) 7'04

Gerry Mulligan Octet

Lee Konitz (as) Allen Eager, Zoot Sims (as, ts) Al Cohn (bs, ts) Gerry Mulligan (bs) Freddie Green (g) Henry Grimes (b) Dave Bailey (dms) Bill Holman (arr)

New York, 4/5 décembre 1954

8 Fine & Mellow (Billie Holiday) 6'20

Billie Holiday with Mal Waldron All Stars

Billie Holiday (voc) Doc Cheatham (tp) Vic Dickenson (tb) Lester Young, Ben Webster, Coleman Hawkins (ts) Mal Waldron (p) Danny Barker (g) Jim Atlas (b) Jo Jones (dms)

New York, 5 décembre 1957

9 I left My Baby (Jimmy Rushing/William Basie/Andy Gibson) 4'27

Count Basie All Stars

Roy Eldridge, Joe Newman, Joe Wilder, Doc Cheatham, Emmett Berry (tp) Vic Dickenson, Dickie Wells, Benny Morton (tb) Earl Warren (as) Coleman Hawkins, Ben Webster (ts) Gerry Mulligan (bs) Count Basie (p) Freddie Green (g) Eddie Jones (b) Jo Jones (dms) Jimmy Rushing (voc)

TV-Show, New York, 8 décembre 1957

10 Dickie's Dream (William Basie/Lester Young) 5'51

Count Basie All Stars

Roy Eldridge, Joe Newman, Joe Wilder, Doc Cheatham, Emmett Berry (tp) Vic Dickenson, Dickie Wells, Benny Morton (tb) Earl Warren (as) Coleman Hawkins, Ben Webster (ts) Gerry Mulligan (bs) Count Basie (p) Freddie Green (g) Eddie Jones (b) Jo Jones (dms)

TV-Show, New York, 8 décembre 1957

11 How About You (Burton Lane/Ralph Freed) 2'50

Annie Ross

Chet Baker (tp) Gerry Mulligan (bs) Henry Grimes (b) Dave Bailey (dms) Annie Ross (voc)

New York, 11/17 décembre 1957

12 Wheatleigh Hall (John Birks Gillespie) 8'45

Dizzy Gillespie

Dizzy Gillespie (tp) Sonny Rollins (ts) Ray Bryant (p) Tommy Bryant (b) Charlie Persip (dms)

New York, 11 décembre 1957

13 On The Sunny Side of The Street (Jimmy McHugh/Dorothy Fields) 5'37

Dizzy Gillespie

Dizzy Gillespie (tp, voc)) Sonny Stitt (as) Sonny Rollins (ts) Ray Bryant (p) Tommy Bryant (b) Charlie Persip (dms)

New York, 19 décembre 1957

14 Confirmation (Charlie Parker) 4'25

Max Roach Quartet

Kenny Dorham (tp) Hank Mobley (ts) George Morrow (b) Max Roach (dms)

New York, 23 décembre 1957

CD 77 : 76'10

1 Just One of Those Things (Cole Porter) 7'15

Lee Morgan Quintet

Lee Morgan (tp) Pepper Adams (bs) Bobby Timmons (p) Paul Chambers (b) Philly Joe Jones (dms)

Hackensack, New Jersey, 29 septembre ou 28 décembre 1957

2 Saucer Eye (Randy Weston) 4'17

Randy Weston Trio

Randy Weston (p) Peck Morrison (b) Connie Kay (dms)

New York, 1957

And this is where they then (as a continuation of the above), segue into the 1958 material (which would, supposedly, have been the next Tresors box):

3 What is This Thing Called Love (Cole Porter) 3'02

Charlie Shavers

Charlie Shavers (tp) Urbie Green (tb) Sol Yaged (cl) Sam "The Man" Taylor (ts) Buddy Weed (p) Barry Galbraith (g) Bob Haggart (b) Cozy Cole (dms) Larry Clinton (arr)

New York, 1957/1958

4 Yes Or No (Martial Solal) 2'43

Martial Solal

Roger Guérin, Fernand Verstraete, Fred Gérard, Robert Fassin (tp) Bill Tamper, Charles Verstraete, André Paquinet, Gaby Vilain (tb) Martial Solal (p) Pierre Michelot (b) Kenny Clarke (dms)

Paris, 1958

5 Sketch 3 (John Lewis) 6'10

Modern Jazz Quartet - Jazz Group De Paris

John Lewis (p) Milt Jackson (vib) Percy Heath (b) Connie Kay (dms) Roger Guérin, Christian Bellest (tp) Billy Byers (tb) Pierre Gossez (as) Georges Grenu (ts) Armand Migiani (bs) André Hodeir (dir)

Paris, début 1958

6 Ambiguité (John Lewis/André Hodeir) 7'19

Modern Jazz Quartet - Jazz Group De Paris

John Lewis (p) Milt Jackson (vib) Percy Heath (b) Connie Kay (dms) Roger Guérin, Christian Bellest (tp) Billy Byers (tb) Pierre Gossez (as) Georges Grenu (ts) Armand Migiani (bs) André Hodeir (dir)

Paris, début 1958

7 The Real McCoy (Mal Waldron) 8'31

Gene Ammons All Stars

John Coltrane (as) Gene Ammons, Paul Quinichette (ts) Jerome Richardson (fl) Pepper Adams (bs) Mal Waldron (p) George Joyner (b) Art Taylor (dms)

Hackensack, New Jersey, 3 janvier 1958

8 Cool Struttin' (Sonny Clark) 9'20

Sonny Clark

Art Farmer (tp) Jackie McLean (as) Sonny Clark (p) Paul Chambers (b) Philly Joe Jones (dms)

New York, 5 janvier 1958

9 Carl's Blues (Carl Perkins) 5'53

Curtis Counce

Gerald Wilson (tp) Harold Land (ts) Carl Perkins (p) Curtis Counce (b) Frank Butler (dms)

Los Angeles, 6 janvier 1958

10 Lush Life (Billy Strayhorn) 13'52

John Coltrane Quintet

Donald Byrd (tp) John Coltrane (ts) Red Garland (p) Paul Chambers (b) Louis Hayes (dms)

New York, 10 janvier 1958

11 Melancholy Mood (Horace Silver) 7'06

Horace Silver Trio

Horace Silver (p) Teddy Kotick (b) Louis Hayes (dms)

Hackensack, New Jersey, 13 janvier 1958

CD 78 : 77'50

1 Grooveyard (Carl Perkins) 7'04

Harold Land Quintet

Rolf Ericson (tp) Harold Land (ts) Carl Perkins (p) Leroy Vinnegar (b) Frank Butler (dms)

Los Angeles, 13/14 janvier 1958

2 Captain Ahab (Emmanuel Albam) 7'04

Woody Herman & His Orchestra

Bob Clark, Danny Stiles, John Coppola, Andy Peele, Hal Posey (tp) Arch Martin, Bill Harris, Roy Wiggins (tb) Woody Herman (cl, as) Joe Romano, Jay Migliori, Arno Marsh (ts) Roger Pemberton (bs) Pete Jolly (p) Jimmy Gannon (b) Jake Hanna dms) Manny Albam (arr)

Peacock Lane, Los Angeles, 13/16 janvier 1958

3 Opus De Funk (Horace Silver) 5'21

Woody Herman & His Orchestra

Bob Clark, Danny Stiles, John Coppola, Andy Peele, Hal Posey (tp) Arch Martin, Bill Harris, Roy Wiggins (tb) Woody Herman (cl, as) Joe Romano, Jay Migliori, Arno Marsh (ts) Roger Pemberton (bs) Pete Jolly (p) Jimmy Gannon (b) Jake Hanna dms) Nat Pierce (arr)

Peacock Lane, Los Angeles, 13/16 janvier 1958

4 You Can't Get Away (Winton Kelly) 6'24

Wynton Kelly Trio

Wynton Kelly (p) Kenny Burrell (g) Paul Chambers (b)

New York, 15 janvier 1958

5 Guys & Dolls (Frank Loesser) 6'43

Eddie Costa

Bill Evans (p) Eddie Costa (vib) Wendell Marshall (b) Paul Motian (dms)

New York, 15 janvier 1958

6 Adelaide (Frank Loesser) 8'26

Eddie Costa

Bill Evans (p) Eddie Costa (vib) Wendell Marshall (b) Paul Motian (dms)

New York, 17 janvier 1958

7 Poinciana (Nat Simon/Buddy Bernier) 7'30

Ahmad Jamal Trio

Ahmad Jamal (p) Israel Crosby (b) Vernell Fournier (dms)

Pershing Lounge, Chicago, 16/17 janvier 1958

Edited by neveronfriday

• 1 month later...

There was a full set of Les Trésors du Jazz boxes available at this second hand store today. €12,50 each set of 10 boxes. The discs do not seem to have been played.

Purchased six sets to complete what I have from this series :cool:

Starting to listen to the 1957 set right now.

There was a full set of Les Trésors du Jazz boxes available at this second hand store today. €12,50 each set of 10 boxes. The discs do not seem to have been played.

Purchased six sets to complete what I have from this series :cool:

Starting to listen to the 1957 set right now.

oh, that´s luck! was it the paris jazz corner? i was there 17 years ago (i don´t remember the name of the street but i remember that it was something with fats "navarro" -guide-ane-) comes out it was rue de navarre. i think i come out of the shop with 30 or so lp´s.......

keep boppin´

marcel