Game over for General Motors?

I'd take a Scion box-mobile over any Pontiac, any day of the week.

And actually, those Scion "boxes on wheels" are incredibly utilitarian vehicles, with WAY more usable contiguous cargo space than any vehicle that size ought to have.

Given the complete absense of any good station wagon options from Honda or Toyota, my next vehicle could quite possibly be a Scion box (though not for another 3-5 years).

Actually, that is kinda a good question. What are old people who can't afford Caddies supposed to drive??

Come to think of it, over the last few years I've seen more than a few really "up there in age" people driving new (or “newer”) cars that really aren't meant (or marketed) for their age demographic (like, often Pontiacs, come to think of it).

Older people (not just “retired”, but age 70 and up) who happen to really need to buy a new (or newer) car, who only want to consider American cars, who don't have a boatload of money to spend (or who are really frugal by nature), are pretty much limited to cheap, crap American cars meant for MUCH younger demographics.

My father is a good case in point. He turns 80 next May ('07), drives a 13-year old Olds Cutlass (a white one, no less, so he perfectly fits the demographic of that car).

When that thing finally gives out (the car, not my Dad!!), what the hell is he gonna buy to replace it?? Sure as hell not a Caddie, or a Lincoln. He’s WAY too cheap for that. He’s already done some thinking about this, a couple years back as I recall – he REALLY didn’t like any of the options out there that he was seeing.

(Or am I forgetting some make and model out there (that obviously isn't being marketed towards me anyway) -- ???).

Doesn't Buick still have the Le Sabre?

Yeah, I was thinking Buick too, although I was thinking the very sexy Century might fit the bill.

Clearly, you guys did not read my post! :(

:P

They did away with all the names used for years. Park Avenue,Century(A really old name, used off and on since the 30s) before that the Electra, And LeSabre.

Quick, don't look it up, name the cars made today by Buick.

Edited by BERIGAN

Actually, that is kinda a good question. What are old people who can't afford Caddies supposed to drive??

Come to think of it, over the last few years I've seen more than a few really "up there in age" people driving new (or “newer”) cars that really aren't meant (or marketed) for their age demographic (like, often Pontiacs, come to think of it).

Older people (not just “retired”, but age 70 and up) who happen to really need to buy a new (or newer) car, who only want to consider American cars, who don't have a boatload of money to spend (or who are really frugal by nature), are pretty much limited to cheap, crap American cars meant for MUCH younger demographics.

My father is a good case in point. He turns 80 next May ('07), drives a 13-year old Olds Cutlass (a white one, no less, so he perfectly fits the demographic of that car).

When that thing finally gives out (the car, not my Dad!!), what the hell is he gonna buy to replace it?? Sure as hell not a Caddie, or a Lincoln. He’s WAY too cheap for that. He’s already done some thinking about this, a couple years back as I recall – he REALLY didn’t like any of the options out there that he was seeing.

(Or am I forgetting some make and model out there (that obviously isn't being marketed towards me anyway) -- ???).

My parents are both in their 70s. A couple of years ago, their old Chrysler econobox had far outlived its usefulness, and it was time to buy a new car. With the exception of a Beetle in the mid-60s, they had never owned a non-American car. I, on the other hand, have been a loyal Honda owner for close to 20 years, and recommended to my dad that he test-drive an Accord. But they headed off to the Mercury dealer, hell-bent on getting a new Sable.

Long story short, the salesman at the Mercury dealer pissed my dad off so bad that he swore he'd never again set foot in their dealership, and the next thing I knew, he was emailing me to let me know that a new Accord was sitting in their garage. The way he takes care of cars, it should easily last them for 15 years. But Hondas aren't always an easy switch for someone accustomed to softly-suspended American sedans - their suspension is tuned stiffer for better handling, more like Euro sedans.

Edited by Dave Garrett

Really? I did not know that. The only Buick name I know of besides those you mentioned is the Rendevouz. Are they still making those?

Good question, haven't noticed that name in ads lately. Yes, they make that, along with 2 other SUVish things, the Rainier and the Terraza. The only cars are the Lucerne, and the LaCrosse. Sounds like a very American brand, don't it?

Hey look, they have a link to show you their discontinued models! http://www.buick.com/heritage/index.jsp?trim=discontinued

The Buick LeSabre.....In fact, when LeSabre was finally taken out of production in 2005 it had been America's best selling full-size sedan for more than 12 consecutive years. So naturally, we stopped building it.