Mike LeDonne: On Fire and Smoking out Loud

CJ Shearn

Don't know those two, though I've liked what I've heard of LeDonne. You might be amused by this YouTube clip (it's the first one):

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_quer...p;search=Search

which shows a very young LeDonne on "Perdido" with Panama Francis and the Savoy Sultans. Interesting tenor solo there from George Kelly, who definitely had his own thing.

I have both discs--wonderfully executed arrangements from a real working group. These guys have held down the regular Tuesday night gig at Smoke for a number of years. They put a nice spin on some non-traditional standards, often re-working more modern pop classics (like Earland used to do) to nice effect. I have been to Smoke to hear these guys many times, and this is a good representation of a regular night's work. A nice vibe.

The other disc from this group is the "Anniversary Quartet" recorded live at the Cellar Door in Vancouver. I don't think this is available anymore (it might not have been released with all of the musicians' permission, from what I recall), but to the extent it can be tracked down, I think it is their best recording.

• 4 weeks later...

I am thinking about buying these after x-mas, what do y'all think of these? I heard "French Spice" from "Smoking out Loud" on an WBGO webcast and it was pretty cookin I thought.

Indeed, On Fire sounds very good, at least from the 30 seconds samples available for each track.I ordered it today, together with the Deep Blue Organ trio 'Goin' to Town'...

This one really looks promising, with reminiscences from the Jimmy Smith's Groovin' at Small's, which is one of my favorite JOS albums.

Did anybody have a chance to listen to this Deep Blue album?