Freddie Hubbard CTI question

Big Al

Yesterday, I picked up Hubbard's SKY DIVE LP (extremely cheap); tonight I discovered the CD (which I don't have) has two extra cuts from the same session.

Question: how is the CD sound of SKY DIVE (as well as FIRST LIGHT)? Good enough to justify getting the CD for the extra cuts? Or should I stick to the vinyl and keep looking for FIRST LIGHT on vinyl (which shouldn't be hard to do, given the relative ease with which I've been finding CTI vinyl these days).

Edited by Big Al

I haven't heard the "Sky Dive" CD, but none of the CTI reissues (1997/2002 versions) I have heard sounds really great, unlike most other Columbia remasters.

It seems to be Creed Taylor's (over-)production technique that makes these sessions sound rather veiled and lifeless (acoustically, not musically!)

Practically all of the CTI LPs I had shared one trait: A rather high level of tape hiss. Since modern digitally trained engineers all suffer from hissophobia, they treat the tapes with some de-hissing software,which alway affects the room ambience, the transients, and the high frequency range. Those CTI CD remasters sound exactly like this.

Oh, I dunno; I actually like the 1997-2002 remasters.

I was talking about the issues of these two LPs that came out in the early 90's. Anyone know what those sound like?

I have First Light on LP, though I haven't listened to the LP in many a year. My recollection is that the sound on this LP was very good. That is generally my recollection of CTI LPs--that the sound was among the better LPs being made at the time.

the sound on the 1988 Sky Dive CD is garbage, the horns sound like their MIDI horns, terrible remastering job. I sold it a long time ago. Fortunately, the UK edition of "First Light" is quite good, it contains a nearly 17 minute long unreleased "First Light" from the concerts that produced the Freddie Hubbard/Stanley Turrentine "In Concert" albums. Stan sits out on that track though.

Edited by CJ Shearn

the sound on the 1988 Sky Dive CD is garbage, the horns sound like their MIDI horns, terrible remastering job. I sold it a long time ago. Fortunately, the UK edition of "First Light" is quite good, it contains a nearly 17 minute long unreleased "First Light" from the concerts that produced the Freddie Hubbard/Stanley Turrentine "In Concert" albums. Stan sits out on that track though.

Thanks!