Is there some trouble at Coda?

Guest Bill Barton

I haven't heard anything else from the publisher or editor about future contributions since my chat with Mark a few months ago.

Sorry to hear that. I guess I'll break out those old archived copies I have and do the pretend back in the day.......

Don't give up yet...

There's still hope that the Phoenix shall rise from the ashes.

My oldest copies were single sheets stapled together. I miss John and Bill at the helm. I even contributed a bit, back in the day.

It's likely I was the one who stapled at least some of those copies. Half a dozen of us would get a case of beer, and collate page by page by hand, then whack 'em together. Some of my oldest copies have the staples rusted through and the pages spilling out. (I blame the beer).

John Norris has nothing to do with the magazine these days, of course, but happened to mention today that the current owner is talking about putting an issue out in October. Perhaps it's not dead yet...

• 5 months later...
Guest Bill Barton

Along with the sad news of the passing of John Norris, perhaps it's time to bump this thread back up...

Has anyone seen copies of the magazine since the last posting?

Last I knew they didn't have any distribution in the U.S.A. at all, so the only way to obtain a copy was by subscription. Have subscribers been receiving copies? As a contributing writer I was receiving copies until late 2008 but haven't seen anything for over a year now.

And nobody has responded to e-mails for even longer than that.

Let's hope that John's legacy is not in danger of disappearing for good.

When I pulled up their website a couple of minutes ago the only thing that showed up was a remembrance of John - nothing else at all.

And I found this on Amazon:

Coda

The cover image shows Richard Davis and Mark Helias but no date is visible. Hmmmm...

Edited by Bill Barton

I had a paid-up subscription at the time of the last issue two years ago. Since then I have received nothing.

Along with the sad news of the passing of John Norris, perhaps it's time to bump this thread back up...

Has anyone seen copies of the magazine since the last posting?

Last I knew they didn't have any distribution in the U.S.A. at all, so the only way to obtain a copy was by subscription. Have subscribers been receiving copies? As a contributing writer I was receiving copies until late 2008 but haven't seen anything for over a year now.

And nobody has responded to e-mails for even longer than that.

Let's hope that John's legacy is not in danger of disappearing for good.

When I pulled up their website a couple of minutes ago the only thing that showed up was a remembrance of John - nothing else at all.

And I found this on Amazon:

Coda

The cover image shows Richard Davis and Mark Helias but no date is visible. Hmmmm...

Guest Bill Barton

It appears that we can offer our R.I.P. wishes for Coda too. :(

The last few months haven't been easy for our jazz friends in Canada, with the loss of Len Dobbin, John Norris and now - by the looks of it - Coda Magazine.

• 9 months later...

For years I subscribed, but then quit and bought it from the newsstand for years. So a couple of years ago I subscribed again to Coda, because it was becoming hard to find even in the large magazine racks. I received a few issues, but nothing for a year now, I would say....so technically they owe me a few issues, but of course that's not going to happen. Seeing Coda go down would have been very hard on John Norris, I'm sure.

The only thing now published on their website is a memorial to John Norris (www.coda1958.com). I was a contributor at the time Coda ceased publication and I had a long talk with the new owner the next summer. He told me that he was intending to get it started again. One new issue (Nov/Dec?) was listed as being published that I never received, nor was I paid for anything of mine that may have appeared in it. I believe it is gone for good.

Edited by Ken Dryden