bird-n-Wardell

Guess you're talking about one of these two 1951 private sessions:

April 12, 1951 (3 items; TT = 31:27)

Christy's Restaurant, Framingham MA

Private recording (Tape)

Jam session

Charlie Parker (as); Bill Wellington (ts); Wardell Gray (ts); Nat Pierce (p); Jack Lawlor (b); Joe MacDonald (d)

1 Scrapple from the Apple (C. Parker) 15:46

2 Lullaby in Rhythm (B. Goodman-E. Sampson) (incomplete) 12:52

Gray solos first (0:39-4:46), then Parker (4:47-8:01), then Gray again (8:03-11:56); splice at 11:57 to closing chorus.

3 Happy Bird Blues (C. Parker) (incomplete) 2:49

Parker solo only; he quotes "Star Eyes" at 2:34-2:37.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scrapple from the Apple

12" LP: Bird Box LP 13

CD: Bird Box Volume 11, Philology Volume 33 (W 864)

Lullaby in Rhythm (incomplete)

12" LP: Bird Box LP 14

Happy Bird Blues (incomplete)

12" LP: Bird Box LP 14

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First issued as The Happy Bird, where "Lullaby in Rhythm" is incorrectly listed as "I May Be Wrong."

Wellington plays only on the opening and closing choruses of "Lullaby in Rhythm." Howard McGhee may have been present, although he cannot be heard on any of these tunes. He was booked with the Oscar Pettiford Sextet at the Hi-Hat April 9-15, and one account has him jamming at Christy's along with Wardell Gray.

A fourth title, "I Remember April," is usually included with these tunes, but it is clearly from another (later) session. See December 8-14, 1952.

June 1951 (5 items; TT = 13:04)

Veterans Administration Hospital, Philadelphia PA

Private recording (Tape)

Charlie Parker Sextet

Charlie Parker (as); Red Rodney [Robert Chudnick] (tpt); Wardell Gray (ts); Walter Bishop, Jr. (p); Teddy Kotick (b); Roy Haynes (d); Sarah Vaughan (voc)

1 Cool Blues (C. Parker) (incomplete) 3:36

Begins mid-Parker solo; cut at 1:40 (as trumpet solo begins) to Parker/Rodney/Haynes exchanges and closing theme.

2 Out of Nowhere (E. Heyman-J.W. Green) (incomplete) 1:42

Opening theme (Parker only); splice at 1:08 to closing theme (Parker with Rodney obbligatos).

3 This is Always (M. Gordon-H. Warren) 3:20

Add Sarah Vaughan (voc). Rodney finishes with the "Country Gardens" tag (3:17-3:21); Parker quotes it earlier during his obbligatos (2:57-2:58).

4 Now's the Time (C. Parker) (incomplete) 2:32

First measure missing. Opening theme, Parker solo; splice at 1:21 (as trumpet solo begins) to Parker/Rodney/Haynes exchanges and closing theme.

5 Scrapple from the Apple (C. Parker) (incomplete) 1:54

Opening theme, Parker solo, and the first few measures of Rodney solo.

Cool Blues (incomplete)

12" LP: Philology Volume 6 (W 29)

CD: Philology Volume 5/6 (W 19/29)

Out of Nowhere (incomplete)

This is Always

Now's the Time (incomplete)

Scrapple from the Apple (incomplete)

Poor quality. Parker solos and exchanges only, except for the vocal on "This is Always." The tenor saxophonist doesn't sound like Wardell Gray, although Philology identifies him as a possibility. The vocalist (listed on Philology as unknown) may be Sarah Vaughan. Recordings of "Anthropology" and "Blue 'n' Boogie" are rumored to exist.

(extracted from Peter Losin's Charlie Parker discography)

The LPs are, uh, pretty hard listening - lo-fi with quite a bit of distracting noise - including, as I recall, some guy in the audience yelling "Go Wardell"). The music is something short of great - not Bird's or Bones' greatest night, but there aren't many chances to hear them together. I put it on when I can tolerate the shortcomings.

in fact what IS trip records-- been talkin about those a lot lateley....

Trip came out in the '70s. They had a deal with Mercury and reissued a lot of vinyls from the EmArcy/Mercury/Limelight catalogue. Minimum work on the covers, sonics and pressings.

They later released material from VeeJay, Jubilee and other sources including radio broadcasts and then disappeared!

in fact what IS trip records-- been talkin about those a lot lateley....

Trip came out in the '70s. They had a deal with Mercury and reissued a lot of vinyls from the EmArcy/Mercury/Limelight catalogue. Minimum work on the covers, sonics and pressings.

They later released material from VeeJay, Jubilee and other sources including radio broadcasts and then disappeared!

Trip records were usually a bad trip, in my experience.

Actually, I think that the 1951 Christy's recording is quite nice. Bird and Wardell are in good form, complete songs were recorded (as opposed to only Bird solos), and the sound quality is relatively good as Bird live recordings go.

This session has been released a few times on CD, once as "The Happy Bird."

The LP might also include the well-known October 1950 Chicago session from the Perishing, as there was speculation at one time that Wardell might have been the tenor player. Now it is accepted that Claude McLin was the tenor saxophone player at that gig.

Edited by John L

• 4 years later...

does anybody have any information as to who recorded the christy's session and how it was recorded (on what was it recorded?)

The manager (owner?) of Christy's was named Eddie Curran. He recorded a number of sessions at the club. The Bird/Wardell date was first issued on Charlie Parker Records in the early 1960's. Curran also recorded several other jam sessions, some of which were slated to be released on the Zim label sometime in the 1980's, but Zim records ceased operation and never issued them. I believe the recordings were made on paper-backed tape.

I agree that, considering the circumstances, the sound on this session is quite adequate.

does anybody have any information as to who recorded the christy's session and how it was recorded (on what was it recorded?)

The manager (owner?) of Christy's was named Eddie Curran. He recorded a number of sessions at the club. The Bird/Wardell date was first issued on Charlie Parker Records in the early 1960's. Curran also recorded several other jam sessions, some of which were slated to be released on the Zim label sometime in the 1980's, but Zim records ceased operation and never issued them. I believe the recordings were made on paper-backed tape.

I agree that, considering the circumstances, the sound on this session is quite adequate.

WOW thanks jack! I wonder where the other Curran recordings are! Mebbe a treasure trove waiting to be found!!!

WOW thanks jack! I wonder where the other Curran recordings are! Mebbe a treasure trove waiting to be found!!!

The tapes are still, to my knowledge, in the hands of Art Zimmerman (Zim Records). I also believe that copies of them are circulating among collectors.

I've had the "Happy Bird Blues" LP for many years (red double jacket with a photo of Bird on the front) and I recall that there's a fabulous version of "I May Be Wrong" on it which has great solos by Bird and Wardell, so why isn't this track mentioned? Or is my memory faulty? (I'm not at home now so I can't verify what I'm sayin').

I've had the "Happy Bird Blues" LP for many years (red double jacket with a photo of Bird on the front) and I recall that there's a fabulous version of "I May Be Wrong" on it which has great solos by Bird and Wardell, so why isn't this track mentioned? Or is my memory faulty? (I'm not at home now so I can't verify what I'm sayin').

"I May Be Wrong" is mistitled. The tune is actually "Lullaby in Rhythm", mentioned among the discographical details in post #2.

Sorry, Stereojack and Big Beat Steve. Obviously I didn't read the initial posts carefully, but more disappointingly, I'm embarrassed that I never noticed the mis-titling of the "Lullaby in Rhythm" track. Certainly, I know both melodies, but for some reason all these years I've listened to that LP, I never made the discovery on my own.

Happy Bird was one of the first Charlie Parker albums I ever bought. Got it from a stand on Liverpool Street station (London, UK) which sold budget records such as MFP, Allegro, Saga and Charlie Parker Records at ten shillings or twelve shillings and sixpence each. Got this one, Bird Lives, a five volume set of live shots on Saga including the Massey Hall concert and some Lester Young air shots as well. Would have been around 1964. Happy days!!!

Got Happy Bird on CD as well quite cheaply from an Amazon marketplace dealer.

I always thought that Bird seemed a bit subdued but Wardell Gray was cooking.

Edited by RayB