Blue Note LPs......

ASNL77

Wjat about Impulse reissues? Which ones would you recommend. I have seen a few MCA on Ebay recently. Are they any good? What about The Colubia Impulse reissues?

I can recommend the Japanese Impulse reissues (MCA) - I have a few of those from Mr Tanno and they sound great ! The domestic/US MCAs are from the 1970s/80s I think and tend to be not so great - I seem to recall that the ones from the 80s are DMM. UK 70s Impulses and Red/Black US second pressings are both worth having though.

the GRP reissues from 90's by Wally sound great to me. Impulse stuff

Are the BN 'Connoisseur series' LPs worth a try as well?

Yep, these are worth having - also way better than the DMMs. Look out for 'Wally' scribed in the runout groove. I've got quite a few of them - Mobleys, Shorters, Hutchersons etc. Especially good for the previously unreleased (apart from Japan) sessions.

• 3 weeks later...

Wjat about Impulse reissues? Which ones would you recommend. I have seen a few MCA on Ebay recently. Are they any good? What about The Colubia Impulse reissues?

I can recommend the Japanese Impulse reissues (MCA) - I have a few of those from Mr Tanno and they sound great ! The domestic/US MCAs are from the 1970s/80s I think and tend to be not so great - I seem to recall that the ones from the 80s are DMM. UK 70s Impulses and Red/Black US second pressings are both worth having though.

Got my first Japanese Impulse reissue.(MCA). I bought the Oliver Nelson 'Blues and the Abstarct Truth' and I am very very very pleased with it. Thanks for the info, Bob. Shame they are difficult to find and a bit expensive as well.

Got my first Japanese Impulse reissue.(MCA). I bought the Oliver Nelson 'Blues and the Abstarct Truth' and I am very very very pleased with it. Thanks for the info, Bob. Shame they are difficult to find and a bit expensive as well.

No problem ! :tup I'll bet that one sounds great. Funnily enough my first copy of that LP (a mid-70s UK reissue) sounds pretty good too. They must have been working from very good tapes.

I'll dig out my Japanese MCA of Shepp's 'Magic of Ju Ju' sometime over the weekend.

Edited by sidewinder