CBS Eddie Condon All Star Mosaic

Bol

I recently acquired the Condon Mob set, and Pee Wee Russell's "We're in the Money" CD, and am enjoying these tremendously. I'm wondering how much the OOP Eddie Condon CBS Mosaic set is like the Condon Mob set. Are they pretty much the same kind of music? Or are there some noticeable differences? Thanks in advance. Am wondering whether I should make an extra effort to acquire the Condon CBS set.

Edited by Bol

I recently acquired the Condon Mob set, and Pee Wee Russell's "We're in the Money" CD, and am enjoying these tremendously. I'm wondering how much the OOP Eddie Condon CBS Mosaic set is like the Condon Mob set. Are they pretty much the same kind of music? Or are there some noticeable differences? Thanks in advance. Am wondering whether I should make an extra effort to acquire the Condon CBS set.

Definitely. The Condon CBS set has some of the best recordings of "that" music ever made, stellar sidemen such as Wild Bill Davison, Billy Butterfield, Ed Hall, Pee Wee, Cutty Cutshall, etc etc. A LOT OF GREAT MUSIC!

It would be my first choice.

You'll like this music. . . but I won't say that is VERY VERY much like the Mob set. It's more cohesive in that it's not different artists but all sessions Condon very strongly midwifed, and is a bit more "stretched." Excellent stuff, excellent sound on the Mosaic (haven't heard the Collectables).

The closest thing to the CBS Mosaic that's on the Mob set is the George Wettling session. It might as well be regarded as a Condon session released under George's name. Actually, were I producing these sets, the Wettling session would have been in the CBS set, not the mob set.

Hope you get the job to do the next Condon set! :excl::cool:

The closest thing to the CBS Mosaic that's on the Mob set is the George Wettling session. It might as well be regarded as a Condon session released under George's name. Actually, were I producing these sets, the Wettling session would have been in the CBS set, not the mob set.

Hope you get the job to do the next Condon set! :excl::cool:

Now let me tell you about my plans for when I'm elected president !

Thanks, everyone. I'll have to get this. But I imagine it will cost me a pretty penny.

By the way Sudhalter's notes to the Mob set is just superb. He really is the best writer on jazz I've read. Who wrote the notes for the Condon set?

Thanks, everyone. I'll have to get this. But I imagine it will cost me a pretty penny.

By the way Sudhalter's notes to the Mob set is just superb. He really is the best writer on jazz I've read. Who wrote the notes for the Condon set?

I think it was Max Harrison, a British jazz critic. They're very good, as I recall.

• 3 months later...

Just got this set from a seller on eBay. The set was cheapter than one might expect because it did not have the booklet. I'm almost done with the 2nd disc, and the music is really superb. I like this better than the Condon Mob set which I like very much. I like the stretched-out, languid, but still passionate playing on many of these tracks.

Edited by Bol

Just got this set from a seller on eBay. The set was cheapter than one might expect because it did not have the booklet. I'm almost done with the 2nd disc, and the music is really superb. I like this better than the Condon Mob set which I like very much. I like the stretched-out, languid, but still passionate playing on many of these tracks.

Bol,

If you are interested in obtaining a booklet for that fine set, you may want to check with Mosaic Records if you have not done so already. Because of the costs associated with printing runs, Mosaic generally (always?) ends up with extra booklets that can be purchased for $10 each once the set has gone OOP.

Edward,

Yes. I did check with Mosaic a couple of days ago, and placed an order for the booklet yesterday. They do have those booklets, and they are for $20 each. Listened to the whole set, and I really think this an excellent set.

Edward,

Yes. I did check with Mosaic a couple of days ago, and placed an order for the booklet yesterday. They do have those booklets, and they are for $20 each. Listened to the whole set, and I really think this an excellent set.

Twenty dollars? Then Mosaic has doubled the price since I last ordered some booklets and partial sets a couple of years back. Good for them as long as they end up selling more than half as many booklets as they used to sell.

Edited by Edward

I really love Edmond Hall's playing on this set. And Bobby Hackett on one of the sessions--Hackett has such a beautiful tone, a real contrast effect with Wild Bill. When you're ready for some more Chicago Jazz check out the Bud Freeman Mosaic single if you don't have it yet. :tup