Stefano Bollani - Piano Solo

GA Russell

Over the course of 2006 I noticed a number of times over at AAJ the name of an Italian pianist I had never heard of before named Stefano Bollani, always with high praise. It piqued my interest. When ECM emailed me that they would release his debut album as a leader, I wrote back requesting an advance copy.

Piano Solo was recorded in August of 2005 and released in Europe in August of 2006. It will be released in the US February 6.

I think I read that Bollani has recorded 12 albums with the trumpeter Enrico Rava, so I assume that he is well known in Europe. He is a conservatory-trained musician, and could have made a living down the classical music road but chose jazz instead.

Piano Solo has 16 tracks totalling 68 minutes. None of the songs sound alike, although the majority are somewhat melancholy. He has a beautiful touch on the keyboard, firm but very pleasant to listen to. Every note is clear and precise. He provides a lot of rhythm with his left hand, and sometimes reminds me of Art Tatum with his runs.

Familiar songs include For All We Know, Do You Know What It Means (to Miss New Orleans), On the Street Where You Live, Maple Leaf Rag and (here's a pleasant surprise) Don't Cry Put Your Head on My Shoulder from Pet Sounds. (Listening to that one made me wonder how many other songs from Pet Sounds would make good jazz tunes.) But in every case he puts the melody through the wringer, so that none of the songs are played straight up. Very inventive.

Since I haven't heard any of his recordings with Rava, I don't know how Piano Solo compares to his other work. One thing that struck me was that this album would have been more appreciated by me and probably others if it had been his fourth as a leader. It's like the change-up in baseball. You don't throw a change-up on your first pitch because you're not changing up from anything. You first establish your fastball, and then when the batter is looking for it you give him the change-up. Well this album is like that. If Bollani had established himself first as a straight ahead jazz player, then this album would be all the more remarkable. But since this is the first of his that I've heard, it leaves me wondering how he sounds playing mainstream jazz.

This is not an album for when you are in the mood to listen to Horace Silver, but for this group it would make an excellent change from the usual.

CD Universe has it available for pre-order: List Price $17.98; Their Price $14.29; Pre-Order Price $14.04.

When ECM emailed me that they would release his debut album as a leader...

I don't understand this. I don't know much about his discography, but he recorded an all-Jobim CD, "Falando de Amor" (it's on Venus) way back in 2003.

I think GA means it is his debut ECM leader recording, that's my guess.

Edited by Aggie87

When ECM emailed me that they would release his debut album as a leader...

I don't understand this. I don't know much about his discography, but he recorded an all-Jobim CD, "Falando de Amor" (it's on Venus) way back in 2003.

Thanks for pointing that out, Jim. Evidently Aggie is correct. I went back to re-read the press releases that came with the CD. The word "debut" is used more than once, and there is no indication that he recorded for another label, but reading the material closely I can see that the references were limited to the ECM catalogue.

I'll have to be more careful when I read the press releases.

• 10 months later...

Stefano Bollani is a technically and artistically brilliant pianist who never fails to deliver exciting performances. I highly recommend the following recordings:

- Mambo Italiano (Philology) duo with bassist Ares Tavolazzi

- Volare (Venus) trio with Ares Tavolazzi and Walter Paoli

- Mi Ritorni In Mente (Stunt) trio with Jesper Bodilsen and Morten Lund

- Piano Solo (ECM)

- I'm In The Mood For Love (Venus) trio with Ares Tavolazzi and Walter Paoli

Stefano Bollani is a technically and artistically brilliant pianist who never fails to deliver exciting performances. I highly recommend the following recordings:

I made a poll in the live section for the best live performing artists for 2007, he was my pick on piano.

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=37691

Would also recommend Les fleurs bleues on Label Bleu.

Edited by Van Basten II