RIP Frankie Laine

trane_fanatic

From AP NewsWire (2/6/07)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

LOS ANGELES - Frankie Laine, the big-voiced singer whose string of hits made him one of the most popular entertainers in the 1950s, died Tuesday. He was 93.

Laine died of heart failure at Mercy Hospital in San Diego, Jimmy Marino, Laine's producer of more than a dozen years, told The Associated Press.

"He was one of the greatest singers around," Marino said. "He was one of the last Italian crooners type."

With songs such as "That's My Desire," "Mule Train," "Jezebel," "I Believe," and "That Lucky Old Sun," Laine was a regular feature of the Top Ten in the years just before rock 'n' roll ushered in a new era of popular music.

Somewhat younger listeners may remember him best for singing the theme to the television show "Rawhide," which ran from 1959 to 1966, and the theme for the 1974 movie "Blazing Saddles."

He sold more than 100 million records and earned more than 20 gold records.

"He will be forever remembered for the beautiful music he brought into this world, his wit and sense of humor, along with the love he shared with so many," Laine's family said in a statement.

he and ray price kept their voices longer than most.

http://www.frankielaine.com/

We are saddened to announce the passing of Frankie Laine, musician, father, husband and friend. He died at 9:15 this morning from cardiovascular disease at age 93 in San Diego, surrounded by his loved ones.

Frankie led a long, exuberant life and contributed greatly to many causes near to his heart. He donated his time and talent to many San Diego charities and homeless shelters, as well as the Salvation Army and St. Vincent de Paul Village. He was also an emeritus member of the board of directors for the Mercy Hospital Foundation.

Born Francesco Paolo LoVecchio on March 30, 1913, he was one of the most successful American singers of the twentieth century. He charted more than 70 records – 21 of them gold – and achieved worldwide sales of more than 250 million discs. He will be forever remembered for the beautiful music he brought into this world, his wit and sense of humor, along with the love he shared with so many.

Frankie is survived by his wife Marcia; brother Phillip LoVecchio of Chicago, Illinois; daughter Pamela Donner and grandsons Joshua and David Donner of Sherman Oaks, California; and daughter and son-in-law Dr. and Mrs. Irwin Steiger of Couer D’Alene, Idaho.

We ask that you respect our privacy during this time. We thank you for caring about the life of Frankie Laine, a remarkable human being and musician who has left an indelible mark on the world.

Edited by alocispepraluger102

Don't forget the jazz album that Frankie Laine made. It was reissued on CD

Frankie Laine, Buck Clayton - Jazz Spectacular - Columbia CK 65507

An old favorite!

d510063sn18.jpg

According to the liner notes to the CD reissue, the session was Buck Clayton's idea. He admired Laine's singing!

An interesting quote from Frankie's NYT obit:

'Mr. Laine’s voice was electric, direct and clear. He took a lusty, rough-edged approach to his music, even with the sweetest ballads, saying he was inspired to do so by listening to Louis Armstrong play the trumpet. “I use my voice like a horn,” he told The Saturday Evening Post in 1954.'

Keep movin', movin', movin',

Though they're disapprovin',

Keep them doggies movin' Rawhide!

Don't try to understand 'em,

Just rope and throw and brand 'em,

Soon we'll be living high and wide.

My heart's calculatin'

My true love will be waitin', be waiting at the end of my ride.

Move 'em on, head 'em up,

Head 'em up, move 'em out,

Move 'em on, head 'em out Rawhide!

Set 'em out, ride 'em in

Ride 'em in, let 'em out,

Cut 'em out, ride 'em in Rawhide.

Rollin', rollin', rollin'

Though the streams are swollen

Keep them dogies rollin'

Rawhide!

Through rain, wind and weather

Hell-bent for leather

Wishin' my gal was by my side.

All the things I'm missin',

Good vittles, love, and kissin',

Are waiting at the end of my ride

CHORUS

Move 'em on, head 'em up

Head 'em up, move 'em on

Move 'em on, head 'em up

Rawhide

Count 'em out, ride 'em in,

Ride 'em in, count 'em out,

Count 'em out, ride 'em in

Rawhide!

Heard him interviewed on "The Swingin' years" once. Said at th beginning he was trying to sound like Nat Cole.

(As. of course, did Charles Brown and Ray Charles.)

Yes - his first hit was a cover version on Mercury of Hadda Brooks' revival of "That's my desire" for Modern. Sorry, but Laine didn't have the sex appeal that Hadda put into her version, which has never been bettered as a bedroom record.

MG