The Baseball Thread 2007

Tim McG

Typical Mariner free-fall right now, their seventh straight loss last night to the Bluejays. Well, this is what happens when Hernandez is supposed to be your stopper, he doesn't stop anything.

Yeah, and at this point, unless the M's turn it around in New York, I have no choice but to hope and pray for a continuous collapse by them and Detroit, to ensure that the Sox still make it to the postseason. With Wakefield missing starts and Manny on the shelf, I now firmly believe that they will lose their lead in the division even before the Yankees come to Fenway to put the finishing touches on the latest monumental collapse.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Typical Mariner free-fall right now, their seventh straight loss last night to the Bluejays. Well, this is what happens when Hernandez is supposed to be your stopper, he doesn't stop anything.

Yeah, and at this point, unless the M's turn it around in New York, I have no choice but to hope and pray for a continuous collapse by them and Detroit, to ensure that the Sox still make it to the postseason. With Wakefield missing starts and Manny on the shelf, I now firmly believe that they will lose their lead in the division even before the Yankees come to Fenway to put the finishing touches on the latest monumental collapse.

I really can't see how the Sox could blow a 5 game lead at this late date unless they allow the Yanks to sweep them again in the final series between the two clubs at Fenway. Yankee pitching is highly suspect, Hughes thus far is a disappointment and Mussina has been horrible lately. I'll be interested to see how the latest rookie pitching phenom, Ian Kennedy, performs today against the Devil Rays. If he doesn't rise to the occasion also, then I'm very concerned about solidifying at least a wild card spot.

I really can't see how the Sox could blow a 5 game lead at this late date unless they allow the Yanks to sweep them again in the final series between the two clubs at Fenway. Yankee pitching is highly suspect, Hughes thus far is a disappointment and Mussina has been horrible lately. I'll be interested to see how the latest rookie pitching phenom, Ian Kennedy, performs today against the Devil Rays. If he doesn't rise to the occasion also, then I'm very concerned about solidifying at least a wild card spot.

So basically we both only see the flaws on our teams.

All the Yankees have to do is take care of business against the deeply slumping Mariners and their path to (at least) the wild card will be clear. About the only thing working against that is the fact that the D-Rays are playing their best ball, and as you mention, the Yankees are throwing out another rookie today. Too bad the Red Sox get them next, with Kazmir, their other decent starter whose name escapes me, and the kid who went eight innings in New York lined up for the three at Fenway.

In the meantime, suddenly the Red Sox have the smallest division lead in the AL, and critical pieces of the lineup and rotation coming up lame. Their only chance to hold on is if Wakefield doesn't miss another start and Manny is back, at the very latest, by next Thursday when they go to Baltimore. But the lineup is pathetic without him and unless the Yankees start losing, it is easy to imagine them taking over first before they even get to Fenway.

Clay Bucholz is 3 outs from a NO-NO.......this kid looks impressive Dan. I would keep him in rotation and

get tavarez back to the pen !

WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING TALKING ABOUT THIS??????

Everyone knows you don't mention a no-hitter while its in progress!!!!

:rmad: :rmad: :rmad:

OK, whatever happens I won't blame you. The kid has pitched great and had some great plays behind him. They don't need to make a move in the rotation unless Wakefield needs to miss another game, or if they decide that Clay should be the number five instead of Lester.

Really amazing accomplishment, in his second start. I noticed with the list of recent rookie no-nos, it doesn't seem like its a good omen for his career (Wilson Alvarez is the only guy to win 100 games). At first I thought his walk total was high but now I realize that two of the three came in that one inning where he lost the strike zone for a second. 9 Ks, 3 walks, no hits - what a night.

Who was the last Sox rookie to come close? Some kid named Rohr, I think? Happened in '67, I believe, and Elston Howard broke it up - and the kid won like five more games in his career. Hopefully that doesn't happen here. I don't know what kind of stuff he had, but that curveball and change up are just nasty.

Really amazing accomplishment, in his second start. I noticed with the list of recent rookie no-nos, it doesn't seem like its a good omen for his career (Wilson Alvarez is the only guy to win 100 games). At first I thought his walk total was high but now I realize that two of the three came in that one inning where he lost the strike zone for a second. 9 Ks, 3 walks, no hits - what a night.

Who was the last Sox rookie to come close? Some kid named Rohr, I think? Happened in '67, I believe, and Elston Howard broke it up - and the kid won like five more games in his career. Hopefully that doesn't happen here. I don't know what kind of stuff he had, but that curveball and change up are just nasty.

Yea , Elston Howard broke up that no hitter and then was traded to the Sox later in the season. That was the

game that Yaz made that incredible catch !

Wow! Congratulations to the kid! That's incredible! :tup :tup :tup

Makes my Rangers victory against the 1st-place Angels a lot less significant, but no less enjoyable! :)

Ditto for Paul Byrd's complete game shutout against Chisox. Impressive. That Bucholz curve is nasty! Boy have the Orioles been abused in the last month (the 30 run game, losing nine in a row at home, blowing late inning leads to DRays,...).

Last night the Twins starter had a no-hitter broken up in the ninth, tonight Bucholz was successful. Both nights ESPN broke into live coverage of the first week of college football to show the ninth (or parts of it). I like it.

Clay Bucholz is 3 outs from a NO-NO.......this kid looks impressive Dan. I would keep him in rotation and

get tavarez back to the pen !

Not a chance that it happens. He's thrown 140 innings, and like most intelligent organizations, they keep a tight rein on how many innings a young pitcher pitches. Best chance is another spot start or two (Wake isn't certain to make his next start, and Thursday would be Clay's next day anyway), and then he is going to be slotted into the bullpen, as another seventh-eighth inning guy, like Paps was in 2005. Hopefully he doesn't have a problem adjusting to the pen; Papelbon was a closer in college so he knew what its like to get loose and ready in a relatively short period of time.

Two other observations:

The idea that this will energize the team or that it will be used to get them rolling into the post-season is just silly. Have people forgotten the old saying "momentum is only as good as the next day's pitcher"? Lester returns to the rotation today and its up to him to start some real momentum going forward, and to maybe regain some of the luster that made him such a big prospect. (I'll tell you this, though - I am glad that Clay is going to be ready to step in next year, the rotation should be Beckett, Dice-K, Buchholz, Lester, Wake. If you scale back your expectations for Lester to him being a number four starter, he should be fine. Its obvious that Clay should slot in as the number three and has the talent to excel.)

With only two starts to his young career and limited opportunities to pitch the rest of the month, its obvious to me that Clay will retain his "rookie" status heading into next year, just as Papelbon did in 2005. That means that he could get 30-35 opportunities next season to set a mark that will be extremely difficult to match: First rookie to record two no-hitters.

Not saying it will happen, its one of the rarest things in the game, but he certainly has the stuff to potentially come through again, if the baseball Gods let him.

The [hated] dodgers got thumped by the Pads, too.

My Giants are toast for this year, but they seem to be hitting on all cylinders right now....just in time to beat down the dodgers :D

Be careful or I'll sick Kevin Elster on the Giants... ;)

So, Matthew, do the M's have one more run left in them or has this latest lengthy losing streak put an end to the magic carpet ride? We need King Felix to come up big but if the M's can't help us, at least they'll keep falling out of the WC and give the Sox a nice cushion when they fail to keep the Yanks at bay.

I have to say it was funny watching Sportscenter this morning and seeing Steve Phillips continue to stick to his guns that the Yankees will miss the playoffs. He's certain that the Mariners will now heat up again, but I have a feeling that the Yanks could build a 5+ game lead in the wild card and he'd declare the Yanks eliminated from the post-season hunt. He must figure its better to never admit you were wrong, just stick to your guns because no one will revisit your predictions when they go splat.

My Giants are toast for this year, but they seem to be hitting on all cylinders right now....just in time to beat down the dodgers :D

So, Matthew, do the M's have one more run left in them or has this latest lengthy losing streak put an end to the magic carpet ride? We need King Felix to come up big but if the M's can't help us, at least they'll keep falling out of the WC and give the Sox a nice cushion when they fail to keep the Yanks at bay.

I have to say it was funny watching Sportscenter this morning and seeing Steve Phillips continue to stick to his guns that the Yankees will miss the playoffs. He's certain that the Mariners will now heat up again, but I have a feeling that the Yanks could build a 5+ game lead in the wild card and he'd declare the Yanks eliminated from the post-season hunt. He must figure its better to never admit you were wrong, just stick to your guns because no one will revisit your predictions when they go splat.

IMHO the Mariners are dead-in-the-water, with weak pitching, an overused bullpen failing, and an offense in a slump. It was fun while it lasted, maybe they can put it together to sweep Boston. :excited:

IMHO the Mariners are dead-in-the-water, with weak pitching, an overused bullpen failing, and an offense in a slump. It was fun while it lasted, maybe they can put it together to sweep Boston. :excited:

Sweep Boston? Its sweep New York!

Nine straight is crushing, but the way I look it is that they've got to start winning soon. Losing that many in a row probably actually improves the odds of taking two of three in the Bronx.

Sweep Boston? Its sweep New York!

Nine straight is crushing, but the way I look it is that they've got to start winning soon. Losing that many in a row probably actually improves the odds of taking two of three in the Bronx.

My bad. For some reason, it was in my head that it was off to New York, and then to Boston. Only the Yankees. Well, to win two out of three would be nice --- so would peace on earth.

Back from retirement, eh?

I'm thinking the way this year's LA vs SF series has gone, first they sweep then we sweep, the dodgers will be in desperate need of some wins come that last series in LA.

I am certain the Giants would love nothing less than to knock the dodgers out of the playoffs. :D

Here's hoping the same for anybody playing the Yonkers.

Go M's!

Edited by GoodSpeak