A tragic death today in Lansing...

Hardly anyone on here except for us locals knew this man, but today I found out about the tragic murder of one of Lansing's beloved citizens, Robert Busby. Robert owned and operated the Creole Gallery, which is one of the only hip rooms in Lansing for jazz, world, and folk musicians to play in a real listening environment. He also pretty much single-handedly spurred the revitalization of Lansing's Old Town district, which was nothing more than a series of boarded up store fronts and drug houses when he started renovating his property.

My wife and I join the rest of Lansing who are shocked and saddened by this senseless death. Robert was not only a great community activist and important figure in the local arts, but a true gentle man, a kind soul, and a beautiful person. His importance to the arts community in this town cannot be overstated. This is a loss that really cannot be put into words. I am heart broken.

RIP Robert Busby.

http://www.lsj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?A...EWS01/702270342

I just can't even believe he's gone, and especially in this way. I've long considered him, along with Meegan Holland, his girlfriend and business partner, to be at the center of what is good in this town, artistically speaking. My heart truly goes out to Meegan and Robert's family. But we all lost a friend today in this town.

I remember last fall when organissimo played the Creole. As I walked in with my guitar and backpack, Robert saw me, smiled, and said, "Welcome home!" It grieves me deeply to know I'll never hear that again.

I've been in Old Town all day, I didn't know what to do, so I took flowers and a candle.

The Old Town Commercial Association is planning a candlelight vigil for later tonight. I'll try to keep folks posted.

Thanks for mentioning this, Robert was a priceless gift to everyone who was touched by him.

Update: There will be a candlelight vigil tonight at 6pm on Turner Street between Grand River and Clinton.

Thanks to the City of Lansing for shutting down the street.

Everyone is welcome to come and in tribute to Robert's life and legacy.

The Old Town Commercial Association will be collecting donations for Robert’s family, including food and well wishes, in the OTCA office from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily.

As of 1:30 p.m., no memorial services have yet been made public.

Man. The more I think about this, the darker I feel. Going back to that anecdote I mentioned earlier, when Robert greeted me with "welcome home", I've been thinking of some of the broader implications of what that attitude are. How many musicians here have dealt with club owners whose basic attitude is, "What are you going to do for me?". There are some who won't even bother to put up a stupid poster in the window! I realize that someone running a business is typically very busy, and if they don't get enough paying customers, they might go under. It's not a charity. But then, the Creole Gallery is in the same position. Meegan has spoken to us before about how she needs to consider the bottom line, too. What sets someone like Robert (and Meegan) apart is that the whole thrust there is doing what was right for the community. There are a few groups who can sell out two sets at the Creole, but organissimo isn't one of them. We were happy with the, oh, 2/3 capacity that we pulled in. Point being, they didn't have to give us a date there. That they did, and consistantly, speaks volumes to me about what they think is important, namely, providing a place for artists and musicians who are striving to develop themselves, who are attempting to do something meaningful, and who can hopefully, then, attract others to their work.

It we lose the Creole, that would be a nearly equal blow to the one we've already received. I can only hope that the rest of us can step up to fill the needs of the moment from here on out. It's been pointed out to methat if Robert's vision were truly that strong, then it should be able to continue on after his death. Time will tell on that count.

I realize that this doesn't directly concern most of the members here, but maybe if you know someone doing the kind of work that Robert did, this might prompt you to consider what it would be like if they were no longer there, and perhaps you can have a fuller appreciation for how they might be enriching the lives of those around them.

Edited by Joe G

My wife attended the vigil last night. There were hundreds of people there. I wish I could've gone, but one of us had to be with Zora (she's still getting over a cold and shouldn't be outside for too long).

I have faith, Joe, that Robert's vision and work will continue. My wife said Rick Preuss, owner of Preuss Animal House, made a beautiful statement that the only thing that will be missing from Old Town is Robert's body. His spirit, his ideas, his vision will live on. I sincerely hope that will be the case.

The memorial service was held on Tuesday. An estimated 1,100 people showed up, cramming into Dart Auditorium, plus several overflow rooms, and the cafeteria at Lansing Community College. Very moving, for me.

A fine story in this week's City Pulse on Robert, written by our friend Lawrence Cosentino.

http://www.lansingcitypulse.com/