Curtis Mayfield

Soulstation1

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like "Curtis/Live" too. The best part of it to me is that it includes live versions of Impressions tracks as well as few numbers that Curtis never recorded in the studio under his own name.

I have "Give, Get, Take and Have" and "Never Say You Can't Survive" now (bought on iTunes). They are enjoyable but they take the smooth/mellow trend of the previous albums even further, at times verging on disco. Now, note, I'm not anti-disco myself (I like Chic, for instance), but I don't think it was a style of music that served Curtis' strengths. There aren't really any hard funky tracks on these two albums, as far as I can tell. Still, some of the ballads are quite nice. "Only You Babe" is a stand out for me, in that respect. It's also neat to hear "Sparkle" which was also on the soundtrack of that name that Curtis did with Aretha.

I won't dis "Curtis/Live", but I've found I really prefer most of Curtis' solo material in its studio form -- simply because I think the horns, strings and layers of sound really help the material substantially. :wub:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not tryin' to dis the "live" material -- because that's what makes "Curtis/Live" enjoyable.

But I really find I miss all the layers in the arrangements found on the studio sessions -- in whatever "live" Mayfield solo material I've ever heard, from any source.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

• 3 weeks later...

I rented Superfly on DVD yesterday......

:cool:

Any DVD bonus material?? A secondary audio track with commentary from the director?? A "making of" documentary?? Modern reflection/commentary on Superfly's cultural impact?? Discussion of the soundtrack??

Anything??

I've got a VHS copy of a VHS original I rented probably 15 years ago, but would probably rent the DVD if there was any bonus stuff.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Curtis/Live literally changed my life. In my opinion, it beats anything he ever did in the studio. His banter with the crowd, and the utter coolness of everything he says makes it one of my favorite records of all-time. The congas and tombas and mighty mighty spade and whitey and all that good shit

it drips with soul

cool! how was it? as good as Shaft?

JB

I saw it back on good ole VHS, and I'd say it's one of the better ones in the blaxploitation genre. The main character is called Priest and he does coke with the cross around his neck. And yes, Eddie does indeed die. :g

Any DVD bonus material?? A secondary audio track with commentary from the director?? A "making of" documentary?? Modern reflection/commentary on Superfly's cultural impact?? Discussion of the soundtrack??

Anything??

I've got a VHS copy of a VHS original I rented probably 15 years ago, but would probably rent the DVD if there was any bonus stuff.

Since no one responded to this, the DVD has quite a few extras on it. From a review at Amazon:

There are a good amount of special features on this disc including a brand new documentary called `One Last Deal: A Retrospective', a commentary track by Dr. Todd Boyd, a USC professor of television and cinema and author of "Am I Black Enough for You: Popular Culture from the 'Hood and Beyond", a early featurette with Ron O'Neal, a `making of ` documentary with O'Neal, `Behind the Threads' featurette with costumer designer Nate Adams where he shows off some of the original costumes from the film, and an audio only track with Mayfield's music.

Not to mention the fact that it's in the correct aspect ratio and looks fantastic, neither of which is probably true of your VHS dub. Definitely worth a rental.

B0000TWMT8.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_SS500_.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

>>>hey, i've been interested in that book. what are your impressions?

I like the book ["Higher Ground" by Craig Werner]. I would recommend it certainly, although keep in mind that I have only read one other book about Stevie and read no other books about Curtis or Aretha. In any case, it's not an academic treatise with musicological comments, understand. It's more of a collective biography with some comments about the music. I suppose this could therefore be considered a book "written about a record collection," but I think that Werner did do some original research and certainly interviewed a number of people himself, including Curtis, if I recall correctly. The theme of the book, as I understand it, is that Curtis, Aretha and Stevie all represented the gospel impulse carried out in the pop arena. In addition to recounting the careers of the the three stars, there is also material on their gospel forebearers (Clara Ward, Mahilia Jackson, Marion Williams, the Soul Stirrers, etc) as well as background on pioneering figures such as Sam Cooke and Ray Charles and secondary figures who crossed the paths of the three subjects such as Donny Hathaway and Leroy Hutson.

(Werner is/was an associate of Dave Marsh's. He co-authored a study of Creedence Clearwater Revival with Marsh and has also written a more general work about American rock and soul (popular music) in the' 60's and after called "A Change is Gonna Come" which I have ordered and and plan to read when it comes).

I picked it up at Half Priced Books for about $3.00, haven't read it yet....on the list!

• 2 weeks later...

>>>hey, i've been interested in that book. what are your impressions?

I like the book ["Higher Ground" by Craig Werner]. I would recommend it certainly, although keep in mind that I have only read one other book about Stevie and read no other books about Curtis or Aretha. In any case, it's not an academic treatise with musicological comments, understand. It's more of a collective biography with some comments about the music. I suppose this could therefore be considered a book "written about a record collection," but I think that Werner did do some original research and certainly interviewed a number of people himself, including Curtis, if I recall correctly. The theme of the book, as I understand it, is that Curtis, Aretha and Stevie all represented the gospel impulse carried out in the pop arena. In addition to recounting the careers of the the three stars, there is also material on their gospel forebearers (Clara Ward, Mahilia Jackson, Marion Williams, the Soul Stirrers, etc) as well as background on pioneering figures such as Sam Cooke and Ray Charles and secondary figures who crossed the paths of the three subjects such as Donny Hathaway and Leroy Hutson.

(Werner is/was an associate of Dave Marsh's. He co-authored a study of Creedence Clearwater Revival with Marsh and has also written a more general work about American rock and soul (popular music) in the' 60's and after called "A Change is Gonna Come" which I have ordered and and plan to read when it comes).

I picked it up at Half Priced Books for about $3.00, haven't read it yet....on the list!

bought it in the ramsj...

haven't read it yet...

JB

cool! how was it? as good as Shaft?

JB

I saw it back on good ole VHS, and I'd say it's one of the better ones in the blaxploitation genre. The main character is called Priest and he does coke with the cross around his neck. And yes, Eddie does indeed die. :g

then it's time for a rent, then.

thanks!

JB