Curtis Mayfield

Soulstation1

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...

Thanks for posting that, Jim. Very interesting. Dug out my Rhino double-disc reissue of Superfly, and although Mayfield is given 100% of the composer credits (there are no co-credits of any sort), there is this in the notes...

"The score's two instrumentals, "Junkie Chase" and "Think", bear the stamp of Jonny Pate, a Chicago jazz bassist turned arranger/producer whose association with Mayfield began with Major Lance's 1963 hit "The Monkey Time" and The Impressions' "It's All Right". While Pate's choice coloring can be heard throughout the score, it is on these two cuts that be breathed insurmountable life into Curtis' dictations. The call and response between the horns and piano on "Junkie Chase" punctuate much of the action in Superfly, particularly the first pursuit (which winds through alleys and up a fire escape), from which the piece earned its title. "Think", a bittersweet, 18-bar blues in 3/4 for guitar, oboe, celeste, and tenor sax, elicits profound empathy for tied, old Scatter Man as he's iced in the back of a car by a forced injection of smack. The cut's title likely stems from the action in the film: Priest in his uptown, white girl's pad, soaking in all that has gone down while he prepares to make his next move."

From what I hear, Johnny Pate is now living in McKinney, Tx, about 20 miles north of where I live. He's in his 80s now!

No kidding? That's pretty cool. I've always dug his work with the Chicago soul scene, probably my favorite soul region, if you will. Long before I really knew who he was, I found "A Date with Pate" on King. Struck me as a little lightweight at the time (I was heavy into Roland Kirk at the time) but I hung on to it. I ought to dig that up this afternoon and give it another spin.

• 3 months later...

From what I hear, Johnny Pate is now living in McKinney, Tx, about 20 miles north of where I live. He's in his 80s now!

No kidding? That's pretty cool. I've always dug his work with the Chicago soul scene, probably my favorite soul region, if you will. Long before I really knew who he was, I found "A Date with Pate" on King. Struck me as a little lightweight at the time (I was heavy into Roland Kirk at the time) but I hung on to it. I ought to dig that up this afternoon and give it another spin.

Anyone pick up the recent reissue of Outrageous by Pate that Dustygroove put out ?.

Its very good !

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Not sure how I feel about them adding dialogue to the CD release though.

The dialog portions are individually indexed and easily programmed out.

True, but when the remote is across the room next to the CD player... :)

Really, I just wasn't expecting them. I didn't really look at the package before I put it in. Great music though.

Had I mentioned in this thread the Film Score Monthly Shaft set? Oh man, if you are into blaxploitation, you need it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

One of the better American poets of his time and beyond. And he was smart enough to own all his songs when a lot of guys were getting ripped off........

I'd be proud to have written 'People Get Ready'. Also I love 'Woman's Got Soul'. Gets me right here..................

' Speaking of which, on a related tip: I heard Dion singing "Abraham, Martin, and John' this morning on the radio. I didn't even realize he was that good. That's a heavy tune. I remember Moms Mabley, of all people, covering it.

Back to Mayfield: A lot of people don't realize what a good guitarist he was. Him and Bobby Womack (known now mostly for writing 'Breezin') are two of the best rhythm players in that style. Jimi Hendrix owes a lot to Curtis if you check out his rhythm playing and R&B influence.

Edited by fasstrack

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a HUGE Curtis fan. The self-titled in yellow suit LP is probably my favorite album of all time.

As far as the blaxploitation films, it's been nice taking the plunge recently with Direct TV and all the movie channels. Black Caesar was on the other night and it reminded me how great the soundtrack is. James Brown is kiling it both with obvious funky soul shouters and the slow tear jerking emotional cuts. That man could do no wrong in the early 70's!

• 1 month later...