Brazilian Music (Odeon, Elenco, etc.)

Late

Don't miss the Baden Powell/Marcia video currently on Loronix. It's absolutely beautiful.

Jim, How long do they keep those videos on?

The Baden Powell cd that Teasing The Korean mentions early on in the thread is available for pre-order price at CD Universe. I orrdered it along with a Elis Regina disc that's coming out at the same time.

Baden Powell / Vinicius De Moraes : Os Afro-Sambas De Baden E Vinicius,

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the major correction, Jim. ;) You're right — way more than four (what was I thinking?), and it is indeed mind-boggling.

I had two Nara Leão albums before I visited Loronix, and I just picked up O Canto Livre de Nara. A welcome addition, and warmly recommended to anyone who already knows (or doesn't know!) her work.

There's also the rare Clare Fischer Plays Jobim Pacific Jazz album somewhere in the archives.

I'm really not sure... haven't tried to figure that out. I know that they stay active for quite awhile, though (weeks, if not months in some cases). I've gone back and viewed a few that had been posted weeks before.

Late, yeah, that Clare Fisher album is nice.

Probably THE first thing I would recommend that people get at Loronix is the legendary "O Encontro au Bon Gourmet": http://loronix.blogspot.com/2006/09/joao-g...inicius-de.html ... kind of like finding Bird and Dizzy at Town Hall. :cool:

Here's what I've picked up so far:

Antonio Carlos Barbosa Lima - 10 Dedos Magicos num Violao de Ouro

Art Heatlie - Bossa Nova - But Beautiful

Baden Powell - Solitude on Guitar

Banda Black Rio - Gafiera Universal

Banda Uniao Black - s/t

Bob Fleming - Esta e Bob Fleming Nr. 1

Bola Sete - Shebaba

Bossa Rio - s/t

Bossa Tres - Os Reis Do Ritmo

Caetano Veloso & Banda Black Rio - Bicho Baile Show

Carlos Monteiro de Souza e Seu Conjunto - Pra Frente

Cartola - s/t

Dick Farney - Um Piano ao Cair da Tarde V.1

Dom Salvador e Abolicao - Som, Sangue, e Raca

Dom Salvador Trio - Tristeza

Dom Um Ramao - Dom Um

Dorival Caymmi - Dorival Caymmi e Seu Violao

Eliseth Cardoso - Cancao do Amor Demais

Eumir Deodato - Ideias

Gilberto Puente - El Mejor Guitarrista De Mexico

Joao Donato e Seu Trio - Muito a Vontade

Joao Gilberto - Desafinado

Joao Gilberto (& others) - O Encontro au Bon Gourmet

Julian Cannonball Adderley With The Bossa Rio Sextet - Cannonball's Bossa Nova

Laurindo Almeida With Bud Shank - Brazilliance Vol.1

Lee Konitz - Lee Konitz & Brazilian Band

Luciano Perrone - Vol.3 - Batucada Fantastica

Luiz Chavez e Seu Conjunto - Projecao

Milton Banana Trio - Balancando 2

Milton Banana Trio - s/t

Moacir Santos - The Maestro

Moacyr Marques - Novo Sabor

Nara Leao - ...e quero que va tudo pro inferno

Nilze Carvalho - Choro De Menina

Raoul de Souza - Rio Featuring Conrad Herwig

Sergio Mendes & Bossa Rio - Voce Ainda Nao Ouivui Nada!

Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 - The Best Of...

Silvia Telles - Amor Em Hi-Fi

Tamba Trio - s/t

Tamba Trio - Avanco

Victor Assis Brasil - Desenhos

Victor Assis Brasil - VAB Quinteto

Vinicius de Moraes e Dorival Caymmi - Vinicius e Caymmi no Zum Zum (Ao Vivo)

Wanda Sa - Softly

1 unknown compilation with unknown artists

Weirdest thing, suddenly the Rapid Share screen looked different and wouldn't accept my password, and the prices are much higher. Maybe I grabbed too much too quickly? My subscription was supposed to last through April.

Weirdest thing, suddenly the Rapid Share screen looked different and wouldn't accept my password, and the prices are much higher. Maybe I grabbed too much too quickly? My subscription was supposed to last through April.

I don't have a RapidShare account, but some of those links at Loronix are from old (though apparently still active) .de links that RapidShare used before they went to .com — which at least explains why the screen looks different.

Man, that's a lot of downloads. What, you didn't want to download the "Péle Sings" record? :rolleyes:

I don't have a RapidShare account, but some of those links at Loronix are from old (though apparently still active) .de links that RapidShare used before they went to .com — which at least explains why the screen looks different.

Man, that's a lot of downloads. What, you didn't want to download the "Péle Sings" record? :rolleyes:

Thanks for the explanation, Late.

The trouble is, Zeca is like the Dusty Groove of bloggers. Everything is "essential" and "a classic." I'm not sure what to skip! Now that I've got a big chunk, I'll listen for a while before going back for more.

The trouble is, Zeca is like the Dusty Groove of bloggers. Everything is "essential" and "a classic."

I was thinking that same thing. Thankfully, Zeca isn't 1/17 as annoying as the writers for Dusty Groove. Their descriptions for albums, besides being wildly vague, consistently make me cringe.

Dusty Groove = :excited: = too much seratonin.

Me reading the Dusty Groove site = :bad: = refill the Prozac prescription.

Believe me, I didn't mean it as a knock on Zeca. I'm deeply grateful for what he's doing. It would be exponentially more difficult and expensive to explore this genre without his hard work.

I'd have to believe there's some enthusiasm at DG despite the hype, with all that selection. The BASTARDS!

Anyone else have problems with the zip file for O Encontro au Bon Gourmet? My copy of WinZip (ver. 8.1) puked on the two tracks containing tildes in the titles - tracks 4 and 7. I can see them in WinZip, but it refuses to decode them, and generates the following errors:

caution: filename not matched: 04 - Samba da Benç¦o .mp3

error: no files were found - nothing to do

caution: filename not matched: 07 - Samba do Avi¦o .mp3

Anyone else have problems with the zip file for O Encontro au Bon Gourmet? My copy of WinZip (ver. 8.1) puked on the two tracks containing tildes in the titles - tracks 4 and 7. I can see them in WinZip, but it refuses to decode them, and generates the following errors:

caution: filename not matched: 04 - Samba da Benç¦o .mp3

caution: filename not matched: 07 - Samba do Avi¦o .mp3

Dave, I'm on a Mac and also use Stuffit, so I have no experience with WinZip. I wonder if it would help if you tried renaming the files by entering a plain letter "a" in the place of the two portuguese letters (before trying to open with WinZip)...

If that doesn't work, I would contact zeca (click on his profile link and e-mail him).

Edited by Jim R

In addition to the superb Loronix site, it's also well worth having a nose around here:

http://abracadabra-br.blogspot.com/index.html

A real mix of styles and eras.

There's an interesting podcast here: http://www.miscvanguard.blogspot.com/

Tends towards newer stuff, but it's worth a listen and the current list of shows includes three dedicated to the music of Hermeto Pascoal

I downloaded O ENCONTRO and had a ball digging it. I was surprised by the vocal group harmonies. I guess the Four Freshman were everywhere. <_<

Here's some early Joao Gilberto, one of the seminal bossa nova albums that has been oop for over a decade (it's tragic... I always equate it to a jazz fan finding out that "Kind Of Blue" is oop): http://loronix.blogspot.com/2006/09/joao-g...udade-1959.html

I really like a lot of the 60's stuff by Os Cariocas (the vocal group on that Bon Gourmet recording). Here's one of their early albums: http://loronix.blogspot.com/2007/03/os-car...iocas-1963.html

Jim, I dug that recomendation. Any others?

It's hard to tell you where else to start, honestly. There's just a ton of great music there, a great variety of styles, and a great deal that I haven't even heard. There's plenty of the kind of material that inspired my "hard bossa" thread here, like the piano trios and small jazz groups. Just this past Friday, he posted this, which I would highly recommend: http://loronix.blogspot.com/2007/03/sambal...trio-vol-2.html

Another great piano trio: http://loronix.blogspot.com/2007/02/os-bos...-tres-1963.html

Tamba Trio: http://loronix.blogspot.com/2007/01/tamba-...tempo-1964.html

Edison Machado e Samba Novo: http://loronix.blogspot.com/2006/12/repost...-machado-e.html

The tip of the iceberg. I could spend hours just posting link after link to classic stuff. If there are any specific areas of interest that develop for you (bossa instrumentals, vocalists, brazilian jazz, etc etc, by all means come back and ask for more ideas). And check out that Hard Bossa thread, if you haven't done so.

Hello, Harold,

It seems that JimR had finally hooked Organissimo celebrities to Loronix.

I'm amazed with this topic and very proud of it.

I will try to address some of your concerns. Videos are not "YouTubed" at Loronix, I take care of them at my own hosting also making the streaming services. So they will last forever or until I do not pay my hosting bills.

I'm sorry if I'm not quoting correctly, but I'm a good student that learns fast.

Cheers, zeca

Don't miss the Baden Powell/Marcia video currently on Loronix. It's absolutely beautiful.

The Baden Powell cd that Teasing The Korean mentions early on in the thread is available for pre-order price at CD Universe. I orrdered it along with a Elis Regina disc that's coming out at the same time.

Baden Powell / Vinicius De Moraes : Os Afro-Sambas De Baden E Vinicius,

r

The trouble is, Zeca is like the Dusty Groove of bloggers. Everything is "essential" and "a classic." I'm not sure what to skip! Now that I've got a big chunk, I'll listen for a while before going back for more.

I'm confused with quotes, anyway.

I agree! :D However, I think that soon you will get used with my descriptions and will understand what to skip or not by evaluating my enthusiasm. :P

Running Loronix, I have to deal with some editorial issues and also a lot of pressure from several friends to release this album or that album first. Part of this editorial stuff is probably what makes some people think that Loronix is a nice place and it is the thing that I like most among the pretty hard work I have there.

That's it!

Please to not neglect a system that I call Loronix Find It! A mySQL database with all Loronix albums made available on a search engine, here.

Hope uEnjoy!

Mighty JimR,

Now I'm looking beautiful. Great. Thanks for remembering. It thought it was supposed to appear when I reach a level different than "extremelly rookie".

It remembers me to spray zeca, it is really HOT down here.

Cheers, zeca

Welcome, Zeca!

I hope you'll find time to visit here also. Of course, Loronix also has its own forums (Invision software :cool: ), they're just not yet as active as this board.

So, zeca, where is the av-1.jpg avatar?

:)

Hello Zeca! Welcome - It's great to see you here !

I've been spending a lot of time at Loronix and really enjoying the music. I've been downloading like crazy and also watching the videos. There are not enough hours in the day to absorb all I want.

I have some friends that love Bossa Nova that I can't wait to tell about Loronix and Zeca.

Hello Mr. Z,

May I call you like this? We don't have so far a Mr. Z at Loronix...

Nice that you will call your friends to Loronix. Tell them please to mail me if they need any kind of assistance.

I spoke about Loronix Find It in an earlier post and since yesterday we have a new toy there, Realejo, a link that returns a random page. It is fun, just find the icon bellow. Thanks for getting in touch.

Cheers, zeca

felllucky.jpg

I've been spending a lot of time at Loronix and really enjoying the music. I've been downloading like crazy and also watching the videos. There are not enough hours in the day to absorb all I want.

I have some friends that love Bossa Nova that I can't wait to tell about Loronix and Zeca.

Edited by zecalouro

Hello Mr. Z,

May I call you like this? We don't have so far a Mr. Z at Loronix...

I spoke about Loronix Find It in an earlier post and since yesterday we have a new toy there, Realejo, which is a link that returns a random page. It is fun, sometimes Realejo returns some records I cannot remember. Relejo is this icon as it is at Loronix.

Cheers, zeca

felllucky.jpg

Zeca - you can call me Mr. Z, or just Z .

I like that random icon. It's a great way to get turned on to something that you may otherwise never hear.