Brazilian Music (Odeon, Elenco, etc.)

Late

For now, just the "classic" decades, though I'm sure the 70's and beyond hold just as many gems.

What albums do you most strongly recommend? I have some (Jorge Ben, Quarteto Em Cy), but still don't have any real handle on this branch of the music, and thought I'd ask.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You might want to check out allaboutjazz.com--there's a very extensive Brazilian music thread (though it's been dormant lately). The very well informed poster clave presides over this thread.

One recently reissued recording that I highly recommend is Luiz Bonfa, Solo In Rio 1959. This is an absolutely great accoustic guitar record.

A lot of people really frown on compilations, but since there is such a huge body of this stuff - including lots of albums that have yet to be reissued in full - label samplers are a decent way to at least find out who you want to explore. Dusty Groove has carried collections from the vaults of Odeon, Elenco, Forma, and Philips. The Blue Brazil series, for example, from Odeon, is worth checking out.

That said, one album you HAVE to have is Afro Sambas by Baden Powell and Vinicius. Be sure you get the original version, though, with Quarteto Em Cy on backing vocals. Powell later re-recorded the album and it's nowhere near as good.

I'm surprised more people haven't responded.

Percentage-wise, there aren't that many fans of Brazilian music here. Only a handful of people seemed interested in the "Hard Bossa" thread mentioned above, and I got zero responses to my last post in that thread (in January), directing people to the amazing LORONIX blog, where hundreds of oop Brazilian recordings are available. Go. Explore. Learn. Enjoy.

Edited by Jim R

As I said, there are many more knowledgeable fans of Brazilian music at allaboutjazz.

Personally, my favorite Brazilian artists include the following: Milton Nascimento, Djavan, Caetano Veloso, Carlinhos Brown, Marissa Monte, Joyce, Gilberto Gil, Baden Powell, Luis Bonfa, Bola Sete, Jorge Ben.

I would be happy to recommend recordings by any of these artists, but most I would recommend fall out of your 1950s-60s time limitation.

I hope this thread keeps going.

I'm very interested in Brazilian music but don't really know enough about it to contribute much here. In the past couple of years I've been listening to the more obvious and well known names. Jobim, Vinicius, Paula Morelenbaum, Gal Costa, Baden Powell, Elis Regina, etc. I love what I've been hearing, but I realize that there must be a whole lot that I'm unaware of and in a sense I've just scratched the surface. Threads like this and Jim R's Hard Bossa help point out what I've been missing.

So on these thread's I'm a lurker.

As I said, there are many more knowledgeable fans of Brazilian music at allaboutjazz.

Clave's knowledge is pretty amazing when it comes to world music in general, and she's very tuned in to contemporary artists. Unfortunately, there was another nice Brazilian thread there a year or two before clave arrived, but I think it might have been lost during one of their hacks.

Minor peeve here, but I sort of dislike using the term "Brazilian music". I mean, we don't go around talking about "American music". We talk about jazz, blues, soul, etc etc. It's weird when someone asks, "Do you like Brazilian music"? Well, yes... and, no. (fwiw, I don't care much for most of the specific favorites you listed, and yet I'm known around here as a big Brazilian music fan) :) Anyway, although it's nice, the thread at AAJ is very general and diverse, and as far as I can recall, there is not much detail about the vintage 50's and 60's recordings on Elenco, Odeon, etc. that Late is asking about here.

I love that sound, particularly the Odeons and Elencos. But there's so much to recommend and it all depends so much on personal taste that I don't know where to start. So I'll just mention some of my fave records, even if some were recorded for other labels than the two mentioned.

Sylvia Telles, Lucio Alves & Conjunto Menescal - Bossasession, Elenco

Baden Powell - Baden Powell swings with Jimmy Pratt, Elenco

Claudia - Voce Claudia Voce, Odeon

Evinha - Cartão postal , Odeon

Joao Gilberto - O Amor, O Sorriso e a Flor, Odeon

Sambossa 5 - Zero Hora, RCA

Som Tres - Toboga, Odeon

Antonio Adolfo e a Brazuca - Antonio Adolfo e a Brazuca, Odeon

Chico Buarque - Chico Buarque de Hollanda Vol 1, RGE

Os Cobras - O LP, RCA

Marcos Valle - Garra, Odeon

Marcos Valle - Previsao do tempo, Odeon

Bossa Tres - Os Reis Do Ritmo, Odeon

Sergio Ricardo - Um Sr. Talento, Elenco

Lucio Alves - Balançamba, Elenco

Os 3 Morais - Os 3 Morais, Odeon

Nara Leao - O canto livre de Nara, Philipps

Tamba Trio - Tamba Trio, Philipps

Sidney MIller - Sidney MIller, Elenco

Orlandivo - Orlandivo, Copacabana

Roberto Menescal , A bossa nova de Roberto Menescal, Elenco

Pedrinho Mattar - Bossa Nova, Farroupilha

And I could go on and on ...

This covers from the beginnings of bossa nova to samba jazz to groovy late 60s post-bossa, a la Marcos Valle. By the way, the mentioned Valles are his absolute peak, much better than the two early bossa records mentioned in an earlier post (though I also have them and like them).

There are also interesting 50s albums, like one of my favorite singers, Silvinha Telles' first, Caricia (Odeon), early Joao Donato or some of the vocal ensembles or the sambistas... but I concentrated on bossa related territory, since that's what you'll probably like best.

You'll have to find your way from here....

Marcos Valle - Garra, Odeon

Marcos Valle - Previsao do tempo, Odeon

great recommendation, as are most on that list. these two (from 1971 and 1973, respectively) are very funky recordings and not at all in what some people seem to think of as a traditional brazilian sound. they are * choice * and if you're into the blue note rare groove 4200/4300 scene, check them out! also, the baden powell is a gorgeous masterwork. that simply can't be missed.

Count me in! I love Brasilian music. But most of what I've heard was recorded in the U.S. I'd love to catch up on those albums you list, Bluesnik. (Bring them round this weekend!)

There never seems to be an end to the list of music that would be good to hear - and that's good.

I'm a fan of Hermeto Pascoal.

I enjoy Slaves Mass, Mundo Verde Esperanca, So Nao Toca Quem Nao Quer and Oferenda, among others. Some people refer to him as the Brazilian version of Gil Evans, I think mostly because he does some very unique and imaginative orchestration with lots of interesting colors. He also plays many instruments very well. I enjoy his music pretty much across the board. :tup

I'm surprised more people haven't responded.

Percentage-wise, there aren't that many fans of Brazilian music here. Only a handful of people seemed interested in the "Hard Bossa" thread mentioned above, and I got zero responses to my last post in that thread (in January), directing people to the amazing LORONIX blog, where hundreds of oop Brazilian recordings are available. Go. Explore. Learn. Enjoy.

Wow, I'm going nuts in that place. Thanks Jim! :cool:

So I already downloaded about six or seven albums from Loronix.

among them...

Antonio Carlos Barbosa Lima - 10 Dedos Magicos

Carlos Monteiro de Souza e Seu Conjunto - Pra Frente

Eumir Deodato - Ideias

The Lima is from 1957, recorded when he was just 14 years old. Simply stunning ability, virtuoso classical guitar.

Many thanks to JimR, once again. I'd forgotten about Loronix, even though I'd downloaded three albums from there about six months ago.

Hey Noj — try the Joao do Vale album on Phillips. It's pretty good (if you like vocals). There's also a Billy Blanco record on Elenco there. Blanco is kind of like the Chet Baker (vocal-wise) of Brasilian music.

Loronix is a wonderful embarrassment of riches. It's one of the few music blogs that really takes care of its archives and doesn't get into flame wars in its comments section. The guy runs a model blog: great attitude, great music, only out-of-print stuff, etc.

I guess my "favorite" type of Brasilian music so far features vocals, though usually not vocal groups ... and strangely without saxophones! Elenco albums usually have great instrumental backings for their singers. Even the string sections sound hip. And I've noticed that bassoons are a common feature in orchestrations from around this time.

Loronix also has Joyce's first album. That's next up!

If, like me, you want to explore this music within the two decades mentioned above, take Jim's wise suggestion and explore this place. There's a huge amount of music to learn about. The host there also seems to have a generous and kind spirit. I hope he won't mind a (small) influx of O-members visiting suddenly.

:tup

I had some trouble figuring out where their archived albums are, but I'm sure I'll figure it out.

Keep scrolling down until, on the right-hand side, you see dates (e.g. "October 14"), and then click (essentially at random) on any date. Each week has around four availalbe downloads. The archives are huge!

:tup

One major correction, Late. On each of the many weekly archived pages, there are more like 20 albums available. It's becoming mind-boggling.

Zeca is indeed generous, and dedicated, friendly, gracious, very responsive to questions and suggestions, conscientious, and very humble about the whole thing. He's very good with the technical aspects of hosting a blog, and with some help has constantly made improvements.

There are some wonderful videos posted there as well. He also goes out of his way to make the extra effort to post announcements in both english and portuguese. Beauty is rare thing. This blog has been around for nearly a year now... I hope and pray that it lasts, and avoids the nastiness that seems pervasive in the blog world.

Noj (or anyone else), if you have any problems figuring out how to find things there, or whatever, feel free to e-mail or PM me.

Edited by Jim R

Much obliged, Jim. I'm having a blast so far! I've set up a nice bossa playlist on my iPod, and now I've got close to 200 songs in it. Some of my previous favorite tunes are:

Baden Powell "Consolicao"

Vinicius De Moraes "Samba De Bencao"

Duke Pearson "Canta De Ossanha"

Astrud Gilberto/Tom Jobim "Agua De Beber"

I'm sure I'll find many more favorites on Laronix! I'm hoping for more as good as the above.