Discographies are EEEVIL!!!!

Soul Stream

I stumbled upon Jazz Discography. Org this weekend and have now officially been cursed with knowing what great songs have been recorded on some of my favorite sessions that have never been released!!! This sucks!!! How do you live with this knowledge. I hate Blue Note and Verve now for withholding these gems. I mean Harold Vick, John Patton, Grant Green and Ben Dixon record a few songs under Vicks name and they're just sitting in the can! Also, why wasn't One More Bell To Answer released on the new Grant Green Mozambique CD! That's just the tip of the iceberg.

Uggg... :beee:

You have to realize several things:

Sometimes the songs listed are no longer with the masters, but either lost or discarded.

Sometimes the performances simply are unworthy of release, even to most obssesive collectors.

There also may be sound problems, poor balance, excessive dropouts in the tape, damaged tape, etc. Some of the producers who contribute to this Bulletin Board probably can give you additional reasons as to why tracks aren't made available.

It is nice when labels like Mosaic mention the listing in the logs of missing tracks and why they are not present in a reissue or boxed set. No other label seems to do this much at all.

Edited by Ken Dryden

Please do not confuse the two sites.

Mike Fitzgerald puts in a lot of time to perfect the data found on jazzdiscography.com, and is receptive to any input. It's a labor of love and respect for the music. He's updating it essentially on a daily basis, always keeping his eye out for new info. Those who have contributed to the site (some of whom post here) similarly put the upmost care into perfecting their contributions.

jazzdisco.org is a data dump, with many unverified claims and errors. It has its use - I'm not as turned off by it as some. But I would NEVER use it as a primary source. At most, I use it for quick reference, but if I need to find a fact and make sure it has been verified and is correct, I will turn elsewhere afterwards.

Although I have never tried, I doubt there is a system for sending corrections to jazzdisco.

Bertrand.

I stumbled upon Jazz Discography. Org this weekend and have now officially been cursed with knowing what great songs have been recorded on some of my favorite sessions that have never been released!!!

This does not bother me any longer! There has been so much hitherto unreleased (and till now unknown) material that has been made available in recent years that I don't worry about it.

I'm just happy to be able to enjoy the enormous amount of new private recordings (from John Coltrane, Cecil Taylor, Miles Davis, etc...) that have surfaced :)

jazzdisco.org is a data dump, with many unverified claims and errors. It has its use - I'm not as turned off by it as some. But I would NEVER use it as a primary source. At most, I use it for quick reference, but if I need to find a fact and make sure it has been verified and is correct, I will turn elsewhere afterwards.

Hi

Jazzdisco.org is not as reliable as Mike F's site, that's for sure, but at least in my experience they do reply to emails (I tried contribute@jazzdisco.org). I asked them about the provenance of details of a Bill Evans session and they provided full details of their sources.

Not completely reliable, but useful and helpful, I'd say.

F

The Joe Henderson discography at jazzdiscography.com is actually a chronology/discography, since it lists a lot of gigs that we have no reason to think were actually recorded.

Although it is debatable whether or not sessions that were probably not recorded belong in a discography, this leads to mouth-watering entries such as this one:

Date: December 14, 1966

Label: [no known recording]

Grachan Moncur III (ldr), Jackie McLean (as), Joe Henderson (ts), Grachan Moncur III (trb), Stanley Cowell (p), Herbie Lewis (b), Beaver Harris (d)

a. [unknown Titles]

unissued

VV: 8 December 1966, p19.

If a tape ever surfaces, I would be all over this one!

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand