Movie: Grindhouse

The introductory shot of Kurt in The Thing is a mini classic...

He's playing Chess with a computer which has a female voice, while merrily drinking scotch on the rocks. The computer makes a move and he scoffs, "Poor Girl, you're losin' it." After his next move she counters and says "Checkmate." Kurt sits up, opens a panel in the computer and pours the scotch and ice cubes in amidst a flurry of sparks. He then proclaims... "Cheatin' Bitch!"

:tup:g

Incidentally, did anybody else notice Michael Parks playing the sheriff from "Kill Bill" in "Death Proof"?)

That's Earl McGraw, my favorite reoccurring character in the Tarantinoverse, and he was in both flicks. He was Dr. Dakota's estranged father in "Planet Terror" as well as in "Death Proof". Also, the character McGraw calls "Son Number One" in "Death Proof" and "Kill Bill 1 & 2" is played by Michael Parks' son.

Don't know if you know but you know now: Earl McGraw was introduced in the opening scenes of the movie "From Dusk Til Dawn". It's the best realization of the character on film.

image18066.jpg

Incidentally, did anybody else notice Michael Parks playing the sheriff from "Kill Bill" in "Death Proof"?)

That's Earl McGraw, my favorite reoccurring character in the Tarantinoverse, and he was in both flicks. He was Dr. Dakota's estranged father in "Planet Terror" as well as in "Death Proof". Also, the character McGraw calls "Son Number One" in "Death Proof" and "Kill Bill 1 & 2" is played by Michael Parks' son.

Don't know if you know but you know now: Earl McGraw was introduced in the opening scenes of the movie "From Dusk Til Dawn". It's the best realization of the character on film.

image18066.jpg

I knew that Parks was in "Planet Terror," but not that he was playing Earl McGraw. I'm ashamed to say that I haven't seen "From Dusk Till Dawn." I'll have to rent it.

Personally, my favorite Michael Parks performance is when he played Estaban Vihaio in the second "Kill Bill" film.

Went to see Grindhouse today.

Totally a blast just for the enthusiasm for the material that the directors and actors communicate.

Very interesting to see the Austin area presented; three eateries I know well are filmed lengthily (one less than a mile from my house, another less than a mile from my workplace).

My one gripe: the Austin characters, the girls out on a night on the town, didn't at all seem like Austinites to me. Not a one. But. . . boy is Ms Poitier charismatic!

Just got back from seeing this myself. Overall, I liked Planet Terror much more than QT's film, which I thought a boring ass POS (agree about Ms. Poitier though). Both films were too long, though, and collectively the whole experience made my ass hurt. Who woulda thought that both of them (QT especially) would be so self-indulgent with such purposely grindhouse-y material? Great concept to do a grindhouse double bill, but I wish the whole thing was executed a bit better (and briefer).

R, I definitely see your point about the self-indulgence in the sense that I think neither movie needed Tarantino as even a minor actor, and I wish he'd stayed off screen.

But. . . I think the lengths were fine and I was never bored and I did like the way that the movies played out. I MIGHT have been bored with some of the "girl talk" aspects of the second movie (though I'm glad he took the time to let that part unfold) if it weren't for the fact that in the first half I was puzzling at what Tarantino thought was "like Austin" in the dialog and characterization---that really fell flat and I was involved in puzzling it out.

R, I definitely see your point about the self-indulgence in the sense that I think neither movie needed Tarantino as even a minor actor, and I wish he'd stayed off screen.

I can see the points made about QT's self-indulgence, but how can you not love him delivering the line "I'm gonna go get my dick wet" so casualy?? :lol:

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...