Sport: 2007 NBA Play-Offs Pool

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there some irony in that Shaq - of all people - is doing a show about trying to help overweight kids get in shape? His weigh issues have caused him to miss alot of basketball over his career.

I applaud the effort though - hopefully it's more about really helping than it is about publicity.

This is precisely why anyone thinking that Bruce Bowen is the finals mvp is completely insane! Bowen played very well, but he cannot guard LeBron one-on-one. Spurs contained LeBron with amazing team D. One of those knuckleheads (Van Gundy or Mark Jackson) even suggested Bowen should get the team MVP for the season. ...completely nuts. Parker is the finals mvp (without his amazing play, the series could/would/should easily be 2-2 right now), and Duncan or Parker is the team mvp for the season. Bowen is a key component to their success, but not anyone's most valuable player ('cept for maybe Mrs. Bowen and the recent offspring).

Cavs played excellent defense throughout the regular season and post-season, but not as good team D as the Spurs. Coach Brown should get a fair amount of credit for Cavs improved play in this regard. The mere fact that such a poor shooting team could win as many as games as they did (in both conferences) shows that they were excellent defensively. In this series, Spurs were even better defensively.

Spurs quietly went about their business during the regular season letting the spotlight shine on Phx and Dallas. And then demonstrated why they are the best team in the league.

More later. good night.

Thank god this travesty is over.

Let me be a contrarian -- I think Duncan should have probably gotten the Finals MVP. Parker's numbers were more impressive, but his contribution was more replaceable than Duncan's.

Regardless of whether you agree with me, I think it's interesting that we haven't had a finals MVP who was not the best player on his team in a long time. Joe Dumars in '89?

Guy

This is precisely why anyone thinking that Bruce Bowen is the finals mvp is completely insane! Bowen played very well, but he cannot guard LeBron one-on-one. Spurs contained LeBron with amazing team D. One of those knuckleheads (Van Gundy or Mark Jackson) even suggested Bowen should get the team MVP for the season. ...completely nuts. Parker is the finals mvp (without his amazing play, the series could/would/should easily be 2-2 right now), and Duncan or Parker is the team mvp for the season. Bowen is a key component to their success, but not anyone's most valuable player ('cept for maybe Mrs. Bowen and the recent offspring).

I have kind of bought into the logic regarding Bowen. Maybe he didn't single-handedly shut down LeBron, but throughout the entire playoffs this year, he has been responsible for defending the best player on the opposing team. He consistently prevented any of them from dominating a series at all. I think he's underrated in this regard, but that's probably because so many people don't like him due to his reputation as a dirty player.

But stepping back, I can easily see it's the teamwork, the team defense that got it done in this series, and throughout the playoffs. It's the trademark of the Spurs, and has been since Pop's been the coach there.

This is precisely why anyone thinking that Bruce Bowen is the finals mvp is completely insane! Bowen played very well, but he cannot guard LeBron one-on-one. ...

More later. good night.

Added note to you: NO ONE can guard Lebron one on one. Bowen has had to guard the best player every time he steps on the court. Who else does that and does it well?? Not saying Bowen is the MVP but he is certainly not to be left out of the mix for the award.

:)

This is precisely why anyone thinking that Bruce Bowen is the finals mvp is completely insane! Bowen played very well, but he cannot guard LeBron one-on-one. ...

More later. good night.

Added note to you: NO ONE can guard Lebron one on one. Bowen has had to guard the best player every time he steps on the court. Who else does that and does it well?? Not saying Bowen is the MVP but he is certainly not to be left out of the mix for the award.

:)

Hey Bruce,

I am totally on board with Bowen being a valuable component of the Spurs success, just not the most valuable part. Since no one can guard LeBron one on one, why should one guy get the credit if a team manages to contain him? Answer, one guy should not get the credit. Consider this, if LeBron and Bowen switch uniforms, do Bowen and the Cavs contain LBJ. I seriously doubt it, no matter how well the great Bruce Bowen plays. James would get past him, and dunk on Varajao, Ilgauskus, etc.

Bowen should be appreciated for his defensive skills, and the tough assignments he draws. He gets that respect.

You're the Spurs GM and you have to let Duncan, Parker, or Bowen go. Who do you choose? While appreciating the loss to the team, I let Bowen go. And to me at least, it's not that close.

Hey Bruce,

I am totally on board with Bowen being a valuable component of the Spurs success, just not the most valuable part. Since no one can guard LeBron one on one, why should one guy get the credit if a team manages to contain him? Answer, one guy should not get the credit.

Parker didn't score all the points in any of the four wins vs. Cleveland, it was a team effort. By your logic, Parker doesn't deserve the MVP either.

I think Parker deserved the MVP though. I think Bowen was worthy of consideration for it, for his significant contribution to their championship, but I'll still agree that team defense is really what sets the Spurs apart.

Parker didn't score all the points in any of the four wins vs. Cleveland, it was a team effort. By your logic, Parker doesn't deserve the MVP either.

I think Parker deserved the MVP though. I think Bowen was worthy of consideration for it, for his significant contribution to their championship, but I'll still agree that team defense is really what sets the Spurs apart.

So we agree Parker deserved tme MVP and that team defense is what really mattered. We disagree on how important Bowen's contribution was to the latter (while recognizing that he did contribute).

Bowen, Duncan, Parker--who do you let go?

So we agree Parker deserved tme MVP and that team defense is what really mattered. We disagree on how important Bowen's contribution was to the latter (while recognizing that he did contribute).

Bowen, Duncan, Parker--who do you let go?

Tough call - I don't like the question. :P I would never get rid of Duncan, so it would be either Parker or Bowen. Which would be easier to replace? The best one-on-one perimeter defender in the NBA or a great point guard? Based on their respective ages, I'd probably keep Parker. But if age wasn't a factor, I'd very possibly keep Bowen and replace Parker. I think Popovich could develop another point guard easier than he could get someone who's willing to do what Bowen's done.

Tough call - I don't like the question. :P I would never get rid of Duncan, so it would be either Parker or Bowen. Which would be easier to replace? The best one-on-one perimeter defender in the NBA or a great point guard? Based on their respective ages, I'd probably keep Parker. But if age wasn't a factor, I'd very possibly keep Bowen and replace Parker. I think Popovich could develop another point guard easier than he could get someone who's willing to do what Bowen's done.

I don't think Parker is necessarily "great", though I agree that he's very good.

Guy