Paul Motian Octet at the Village Vanguard

LWayne

Two weeks ago while on a business trip to Boston, I was fortunate to have a night of leisure in New York. One of my favorite clubs in NY is the Village Vanguard, and Paul Motian is one of my favorite drummers, leaders, and composers. So I considered myself quite fortunate to be able to catch the first set on opening night of the Paul Motian Octet.

The Vanguard was as crowded as I have ever seen it. Besides all of the tables overflowing, there was a considerable standing-room-only crowd as well to enjoy the show. The group performing that night was basically comprised of the same musicians that recorded "Garden of Eden" on ECM save for substituting Ben Street on Bass for Jakob Bro on Guitar. The Octet lineup was Paul Motian on Drums, Ben Street and Jerome Harris on Bass, Chris Cheek and Tony Malaby on Sax, Steve Cardenas and Ben Monder on Guitar, with the addition of Matt Maneri on Viola.

The Octet launched into a spirited version of Charles Mingus' "Goodbye Porkpie Hat" that energized the audience. The band played selections from the "Garden of Eden" album as well as a great version of Motian's own "One Two" from his recent trio album "Time and Time Again" (ironically released that same day) as well as great readings of two standards/ ballads "Count Your Blessings" and "I Surrender" which proved to be the highlight of the set. Motian always seems to have the ability to pull out one or two chestnuts from his repertoire and make them sound fresh again.

Overall it was a great night listening to a great band. I always try to make it a point to catch Paul Motian when he is performing as he and his band never disappoint. To top off the night, I purchased a copy of "Alive at the Village Vanguard" from Lorraine Gordon as a keepsake of the evening.

LWayne :D

Edited by LWayne

Two weeks ago while on a business trip to Boston, I was fortunate to have a night of leisure in New York. One of my favorite clubs in NY is the Village Vanguard, and Paul Motian is one of my favorite drummers, leaders, and composers. So I considered myself quite fortunate to be able to catch the first set on opening night of the Paul Motian Octet.

The Vanguard was as crowded as I have ever seen it. Besides all of the tables overflowing, there was a considerable standing-room-only crowd as well to enjoy the show. The group performing that night was basically comprised of the same musicians that recorded "Garden of Eden" on ECM save for substituting Ben Street on Bass for Jakob Bro on Guitar. The Octet lineup was Paul Motian on Drums, Ben Street and Jerome Harris on Bass, Chris Cheek and Tony Malaby on Sax, Steve Cardenas and Ben Monder on Guitar, with the addition of Matt Maneri on Viola.

The Octet launched into a spirited version of Charles Mingus' "Goodbye Porkpie Hat" that energized the audience. The band played selections from the "Garden of Eden" album as well as a great version of Motian's own "One Two" from his recent trio album "Time and Time Again" (ironically released that same day) as well as great readings of two standards/ ballads "Count Your Blessings" and "I Surrender" which proved to be the highlight of the set. Motian always seems to have the ability to pull out one or two chestnuts from his repertoire and make them sound fresh again.

Overall it was a great night listening to a great band. I always try to make it a point to catch Paul Motian when he is performing as he and his band never disappoint. To top off the night, I purchased a copy of "Alive at the Village Vanguard" from Lorraine Gordon as a keepsake of the evening.

LWayne :D

I went to the Friday night show - wasn't Monder a monster? Damn!

I was a little annoyed that the MC introduced him as Paul "Motion" - I had just involuntarily gotten into an argument with some know-it-all about the pronounciation outside the club who had heard me pronounce the name correctly... oh well.

I was a little annoyed that the MC introduced him as Paul "Motion" - I had just involuntarily gotten into an argument with some know-it-all about the pronounciation outside the club who had heard me pronounce the name correctly... oh well.

I think at this point that is the "consensus" pronunciation, even if it was incorrect initially.

Guy

I think at this point that is the "consensus" pronunciation, even if it was incorrect initially.

Guy

I think you are right, but it was still annoying just because of the circumstances.

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...mp;#entry260920

Interesting... it was someone from his group that corrected *me* in the first place a couple years ago... oh, well. The only reason it was annoying was this random dude was going off on me about how *I* was wrong for saying mo-tee-uhn - I really don't care how anyone else says his name.

My own name is pronounced correctly about 1% of the time and I'm not even really bothered by that - I do mind being told I'm wrong when I'm not, though!