Record cleaning machines

Clunky

I've had a VPI 16.5 for 3 months now and wouldn't part with it (unless I could buy one of the exotic cleaners). It does make a tremendous difference and makes the whole process quicker and easier. No hand cleaning method is going to removed the gunk you've stirred up like a vacuum machine.

I even clean brand new records...there always seems to be something on them especially if they were pressed at RTI.

I even clean brand new records...there always seems to be something on them especially if they were pressed at RTI.

There's always gunk left from the production process. Even Mosaic vinyl I usually clean on this machine before first use. Certainly makes a difference in terms of definition !

• 1 year later...

UP.

I've been thinking about getting a VPI HW16.5 but I've heard that the vacuum makes a DEAFENING noise when in operation. The threads I read on the Audiogon forums said that a majority of VPI users wear some kind of hearing protection when cleaning a record. What say ye VPI owners?? Are they really that loud?

loud but not THAT loud - that's kinda silly. Sounds like a vacuum cleaner.

I've been using the VPI for about 10 years, and on several major reissue projects. Does a great job, though not as radical as some may suggest, if one has a good turntable, pre-amp, converters, etc. On the other hand, the guy who used to run a big record store in downtown NY (can't remember the name of it, it was oriented toward a lot of show material, but also had a good jazz and blues collection) called my LP transfers "the best in the business."

Edited by AllenLowe

The radio station I worked at for 37 years had a Keith Monk vacuum cleaning machine, and the recommended cleaning solution was 50% distilled water, 50% isopropyl alcohol, if I recall correctly. Interesting to read that some here call alcohol a no-no. (Maybe it has to be isopropyl, for its purity?)

The radio station I worked at for 37 years had a Keith Monk vacuum cleaning machine, and the recommended cleaning solution was 50% distilled water, 50% isopropyl alcohol, if I recall correctly. Interesting to read that some here call alcohol a no-no. (Maybe it has to be isopropyl, for its purity?)

I believe most record cleaning solutions contain alcohol. What you don't want to use it on, iirc, are shellac 78s.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

loud but not THAT loud - that's kinda silly. Sounds like a vacuum cleaner.

I've been using the VPI for about 10 years, and on several major reissue projects. Does a great job, though not as radical as some may suggest, if one has a good turntable, pre-amp, converters, etc. On the other hand, the guy who used to run a big record store in downtown NY (can't remember the name of it, it was oriented toward a lot of show material, but also had a good jazz and blues collection) called my LP transfers "the best in the business."

Okay so I finally broke down and bought a VPI HW16.5. You're right, it's not noisy at all. I don't know what those Audiogoners were smoking.

For a long time I had records cleaned on a Keith Monks machine which has for decades been considered the ultimate. I never really got the results I wanted, always feeling there was still lots left in the grooves that vacuum cleaning machines simply can't get out.

I went to the GEM Dandy, George Merrill's cleaning rig, and there is a lengthy discussion of my cleaning regimen on my blog. The Dandy is a lot of work, and messy. Not wife friendly at all. But it gets far cleaner than anything else made. It is even possible to get the lead-in grooves quiet - which I have never found any other machine could do.

As to fluids, I do use L'Art Du Son and it has a very cute perfumed smell. It is quite good. However, for deep cleaning jobs on older vinyl my first choice is the Nitty Gritty cleaner which I have found to be the most powerful out there. I often follow it with L'AduS. Never a bad idea to alternate fluids as no single fluid is effective for every situation.

For new records, particularly pressed at RTI - such as the Music Matters, and the notoriously noisy Classic Records - I use FirstRv which is the only really effective pre-cleaner for new vinyl and very effectively removes pressing artifacts. First Rv is pretty good at getting the last bit of grit out of old records that gotten as good as they are going to get via my usual Dandy cleaning.

Count me in as another VPI 16.5 satisfied customer. I've only had it a couple of months but it's definitely done wonders for all the VG and grimy things I've pulled out of the $1 bin. It's expensive but my understanding is that it should last 20+ years so it'll pay for itself many times over.

About the noise: Yeah, it basically sounds like a vacuum cleaner. I don't mind it too bad, but my girlfriend HATES it. She is a certified cat person though, and I am thinking there's a correlation there somewhere with small pets being afraid of vacuum cleaners. :rolleyes:

Good move. I've been very pleased with my VPI. Try using it with 'L'Art du Son' record cleaning fluid from Germany - gives impressive results.

I'm happy with "L'art du Son", dirtier records just need more applications to get them clean. Also it doesn't irritate by skin. I've also used it successfully to clean very grubby 78s with no evidence of harm (yet) and massive improvements in surface noise.

I've found that three applications per side, with the first application being a 'soak' for a minute or two before wipeoff/suction usually does the trick. Failing this, another cycle of applications is then usually enough. I'm more than happy with the results with L'Art du Son. At least as good as the Record Research Solutions kit and definitely better than VPI's own liquid.

I've found that three applications per side, with the first application being a 'soak' for a minute or two before wipeoff/suction usually does the trick. Failing this, another cycle of applications is then usually enough. I'm more than happy with the results with L'Art du Son. At least as good as the Record Research Solutions kit and definitely better than VPI's own liquid.

L'Art du Son is also much cheaper than RRL

L'Art du Son is also much cheaper than RRL

Very true. For those of us in Europe it's about 1/10 of the price and maybe even less, when you factor in the change to £/$. No brainer !