Moving Two Blocks

I finally got fed up enough with my long-time rent stabilized (but otherwise problematic) apartment in soho, and am about to sign a lease for a new place about twice the size and a billion times the rent two blocks up the street. I live on a narrow, single-lane street, so loading up a truck is a huge pain in the butt and often just not possible. I have a lot of stuff, but only one really heavy piece of furniture. Any better ideas than buying a couple handtrucks and calling up a few friends?

My stereo is at my new place, but I'm at my old place. This sucks!

On the upside, my new across-the-street neighbor has astonishing physical characteristics and she walks around naked with the blinds up.

Can I visit? I own a DV Cam with zoom...

I just drove a U-Haul truck 550 miles. It was full of shit and I have to fit it into my home. Sorry to hear about your 2 blocks. :cool:

Didn't mean to whine - I think I'm incredibly fortunate to be able to stay in this area (center of downtown Manhattan). Just never considered the logistics of such a short move.

My stereo is at my new place, but I'm at my old place. This sucks!

On the upside, my new across-the-street neighbor has astonishing physical characteristics and she walks around naked with the blinds up.

Can I visit? I own a DV Cam with zoom...

Sure - any time.

my new across-the-street neighbor has astonishing physical characteristics

Is that scientist-speak for big bazongas?

Dude - it is SO much more than that - you know that unobtainable ideal western beauty standard that can only be achieved with airbrushing?

It can be achieved.

Without airbrushing.

My mind is bent out of shape.

Even my girlfriend was astonished. I wouldn't blame her if she decided to switch teams after seeing that.

A couple of years ago I moved into a larger apartment, in the same apartment complex (unfortunately on the other side of the complex). In some ways it turned out to be more difficult than moving across town, as there wasn't any using a truck or movers. Everything was carried from place to the other. I hired a couple of guys to move the big, heavy furniture - I guess technically these guys were movers -and then moved all of the small stuff myself.

I think I'd rather have moved to another location altogether - might have been easier to load a truck up and drive stuff, than carry it 100-200 yards.

Edited by Aggie87

A couple of years ago I moved into a larger apartment, in the same apartment complex (unfortunately on the other side of the complex). In some ways it turned out to be more difficult than moving across town, as there wasn't any using a truck or movers. Everything was carried from place to the other. I hired a couple of guys to move the big, heavy furniture (I moved during the week, so most of my friends were at work), and then moved all of the small stuff myself.

I think I'd rather have moved to another location altogether - might have been easier to load a truck up and drive stuff, than carry it 100-200 yards.

That's what I'm finding....

I hired movers for the heavy stuff, but it didn't make sense for the whole thing since I live on a narrow block with parking on both sides - it is literally impossible for a truck to stop within a block and load up, so for a short move it makes sense to carry the stuff over - but damn it is exhausting and time-consuming.

It will be worth it in the end though.

A couple of years ago I moved into a larger apartment, in the same apartment complex (unfortunately on the other side of the complex). In some ways it turned out to be more difficult than moving across town, as there wasn't any using a truck or movers. Everything was carried from place to the other. I hired a couple of guys to move the big, heavy furniture - I guess technically these guys were movers -and then moved all of the small stuff myself.

I did the same thing once when my then-fiance and I moved from the second floor to the first floor of a small apartment building. Had no one to help either. Fortunately a rather strong neighbor took pity on me and helped move my wife's dresser, which is an absolute bear (the design doesn't allow the drawers to be removed, and its a very heavy wood). Man, my legs and back killed me for about three days afterwards.

I'll be using "professional" movers for my move to Florida. The difference between that that the short across-town type of move is that you have to uber-pack EVERYTHING when it's going on The Truck. When I moved across town I was able to take several loads in the car and not have to pack every single thing. It's going to be a huge pain to make this move, but believe me, I'm not complaining (much). It's all about the job baby, and I'm glad to have something in place for my future (can you say "health insurance"?)

But moving to Florida in JULY, OMG! :wacko: Greasy Sack Blues aplenty.

I'll be using "professional" movers for my move to Florida. The difference between that that the short across-town type of move is that you have to uber-pack EVERYTHING when it's going on The Truck. When I moved across town I was able to take several loads in the car and not have to pack every single thing. It's going to be a huge pain to make this move, but believe me, I'm not complaining (much). It's all about the job baby, and I'm glad to have something in place for my future (can you say "health insurance"?)

But moving to Florida in JULY, OMG! :wacko: Greasy Sack Blues aplenty.

Choose your moving company wisely.

My favorite piece of furniture got trashed and my cat is completely freaked out about his new environs, but the move is basically done now. I have a very rare Manhattan commodity - NATURAL LIGHT!!! TONS of it. I got sunburned sorting through boxes in the living room.

Bill Murray walked out of my building this morning as I was walking in with boxes - not sure what's up with that.

I probably won't be around much the next few days... see you later.

I just drove a U-Haul truck 550 miles. It was full of shit and I have to fit it into my home. Sorry to hear about your 2 blocks. :cool:

This brings back memories of driving years ago from Madison, Wisconsin to Kansas City with everything in a fully packed large U-Haul, with another U-Haul trailer hitched behind it (we had too much stuff)!

After about 150 miles, the driver's side window fell into the door, and it could not be budged out of there. That was O.K. until it started raining, and it became even less O.K. when the rain turned into a downpour.

As the temperature was over 100 degrees, it was akin to an involuntary steam bath.

Bill Murray walked out of my building this morning as I was walking in with boxes - not sure what's up with that.

Did he offer to carry any bulky musical instruments or anything for you?

tommy3.jpg

No, bu he did step out of the way, which is more than I can say of a lot of people I've encountered over the last few days.

Guest donald petersen

jarsen where are you moving to/from?

not to be intrusive...i live here too and know the area etc. just curious.

not because i want to stand on the street and check out the smoking hot woman.