Mainstream Records Japanese CD Reissues???

pasta

Shad brought Big Brother to Chicago to record that first 22 minute album. Then he stiffed them and they had problems getting back to SF. And then after Monterey, when Grossman and the rest of the world heard Janis, Columbia bought the rights to that album for a cool 2 million if I remember correctly, which is why that album was subsequently reissued after Cheap Thrills on Columbia complete with that goofy Mainstream drawing on the back.

Guest donald petersen

actually, as i think about it...i don't really need the hal galper session on CD for 25 bucks either. g_d my excitement over this batch of reisues has petered out...

• 3 months later...

It was a couple of years since I heard them. Yes, the one with Moody is better. The trio albums are mostly acoustical piano from what I can remember, and I can't get away from the feel of "cocktail"; simple licks, block chords, not very exciting rhythmically. I guess I don't find Longo's playing very interesting.

Nothing against electrical piano (I love to play the Fender Rhodes myself), and usually I'm quite fond of the sound of Rhodes+acoustic bass.

Well we did at least get the opportunity to voice some general opinions on Mike Longo...

You must excuse me, I did perhaps not read your initial post too carefully. What's more, for some reason I thought this thread was about the Groove Merchant reissues... Will try to check out the Mainstream album anyway.

Well, when hearing "late" Gillespie (end of the 60s and onwards) I can't get out of my mind what he once sounded like. His tone got kind of weaker somewhere around then. For sure, there's some hilarious 70s live stuff on variuos bootleg labels, but the last Gillespie album I tend to enjoy was the one scored by J.J. Johnson (early 60s). Maybe it's my loss.

• 2 weeks later...

what kind of effects did the mainstream studio have? both the longo and the galper-the e piano has some cool stuff going on. maybe a phaser or something at points. some sort of filter?

Something called a ring modulator was used a lot on electric pianos back then. I remember George Cables recording with it. The musicians in the crowd can tell you a lot more about it, I'm sure.

• 6 years later...

Just noticed that Ace has a couple of Mainstream re-issues out:

61sIrpPdh8L._SP160,160,0,T_.jpg51d6JhXGUYL._SP160,160,0,T_.jpg

I think the Harold Land has already been mentioned here but the Chico Hamilton is new to me. Can anyone say whether it's a "getter"?

Oh, and I see they have re-issued this Duke Ellington as well...

511Jj7kIuwL._SP160,160,0,T_.jpg

what kind of effects did the mainstream studio have? both the longo and the galper-the e piano has some cool stuff going on. maybe a phaser or something at points. some sort of filter?

Something called a ring modulator was used a lot on electric pianos back then. I remember George Cables recording with it.

Woody Shaw's 'Song of Songs' on Contemporary comes immediately to mind re: Cables with ring modulator.

Something called a ring modulator was used a lot on electric pianos back then. I remember George Cables recording with it.

Woody Shaw's 'Song of Songs' on Contemporary comes immediately to mind re: Cables with ring modulator.

Also the earliest Milestone Joe Henderson's. Cables was quite enamored of that effect. I wasn't.